Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

French fuel situation and Diesel in particular, veg oil?

Views : 2355

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2016, 16:26   #11
tt82
Forum Support Team

I was reading about it on the BBC news website earlier and it doesn't seem as bad as it's made out to be. My advice would be to stop for fuel frequently and try not to let yourself go lower than half a tank.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2016, 16:59   #12
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
I was reading about it on the BBC news website earlier and it doesn't seem as bad as it's made out to be. My advice would be to stop for fuel frequently and try not to let yourself go lower than half a tank.
You're right. I thought it odd that their advice was to keep topping up along the way when they're spouting doom and gloom. But then doom and gloom makes better news stories aye.
Old May 27th, 2016, 17:08   #13
dingov70
Master Member

Afternoon Mr.Lee , I have done thousands of miles in non common rail diesels with no problems using fresh veg oil as a fuel . Both Bosch & japanese rotary injection pumps cope wel with veg oil & bio diesel . A common fallacy is that veg or Bio possess less lubricity than pump diesel , however the addition of veg or bio raises the lubrication levels to replace the sulphur removed during refining . Sulphur acts /acted as a lubrication agent in pump fuels before being reduced in quanity in the finished fuel . My V70 Tdi runs quite happily on neat dew fresh & sparkling sunflower oil with zero modifications .

You do slightly less miles per gallon using veg but overall lower costs of veg versus dino diesel means you do save money .

I have used neat fresh veg & correctly manufactured bio diesel with no problems in 2.9 sprinter , 2.5 tdi v70 , 2.2tdi toyota , 3.0 toyota , 1.8 tdi mondeo at ratios in excess of 75% veg to pump fuel . Personally whip into Tesco's or morrison's & buy 25 - 30lt & simply tell them you enjoy eating lots of chips if they find it
Old May 27th, 2016, 23:26   #14
c_lee
VOC26332

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
Afternoon Mr.Lee , I have done thousands of miles in non common rail diesels with no problems using fresh veg oil as a fuel . Both Bosch & japanese rotary injection pumps cope wel with veg oil & bio diesel . A common fallacy is that veg or Bio possess less lubricity than pump diesel , however the addition of veg or bio raises the lubrication levels to replace the sulphur removed during refining . Sulphur acts /acted as a lubrication agent in pump fuels before being reduced in quanity in the finished fuel . My V70 Tdi runs quite happily on neat dew fresh & sparkling sunflower oil with zero modifications .

You do slightly less miles per gallon using veg but overall lower costs of veg versus dino diesel means you do save money .

I have used neat fresh veg & correctly manufactured bio diesel with no problems in 2.9 sprinter , 2.5 tdi v70 , 2.2tdi toyota , 3.0 toyota , 1.8 tdi mondeo at ratios in excess of 75% veg to pump fuel . Personally whip into Tesco's or morrison's & buy 25 - 30lt & simply tell them you enjoy eating lots of chips if they find it
I have replied to your PM Steve - Colin
Old May 28th, 2016, 08:34   #15
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Veg oil seems to dislodge a lot of gunk in the system so it's advisable to replace the fuel filter more frequently. Additionally, rubber seals and pipes tend to become softened with extended use.

By all accounts, the hypermarkets and A road petrol stations still seem to have fuel so I don't think you need to be too concerned as long as you fill up whenever opportunity arises.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2016, 10:53   #16
960kg
Premier Member

Although French diesel bought at the pumps does contain some percent veggy oil it is illegal for the owner to run on the stuff in France if not bought at a pump as you are evading tax!

So could be a dodgy move because of the strike if more are doing this?

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2016, 12:41   #17
Simon Jones
Premier Member

You could argue bringing a 5 litre jerry can of diesel over from the UK is also evading paying French tax. They would also have to prove you'd filled up with veg oil in France rather than the UK.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 09:59   #18
Rooster
Speed freak

We used to get a 2.5tdi V70 in at work that the customer ran on veg oil,

Apart from the smell from exhaust you would never know,

I have a friend with an old 306 d-turbo and he runs that on veg oil
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 21:50   #19
jonperry64

I did over 100k running SVO in a 1.9 tdi Passat with no issues. However, I had a simple conversion done beforehand. Essentially, this involved installing some sort of relay to keep the glow plus on longer and a heat exchanger installed before the fuel filter. I think all of this was only needed in cold weather when SVO is thicker than diesel. I didn't notice any difference in performance or mpg. Eventually, though, it will take its toll on the fuel pump - even the old Bosch VP37.
jonperry64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonperry64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 22:44   #20
brickman
Premier Member

I ran my d5252t on pure new veg from Glasgow to Vienna summer before last (hot weather). First tank was neat, second I added my usual amount of 2 stroke oil, made probably only a difference to lubricantion of fuel pump

Economy down about 15/20%, though was flogging it with 5 folk, a full boot and ac on the whole time. Power down too, esp in the lower rev range (below 1500rpm with no boost was dire).

In the UK it's not warm enough to start on pure veg unless you have a tank or stage heater.

I would mix 30/70 diesel to majority veg at the best and 50/50 if you intend being anywhere below 16c as you won't be able to start it.

Do not run on high levels of veg if your fuel pump belt and cam belt are anywhere near the end of their life as the lower viscosity puts much more demand on these belts.

Tank range on mine is 650/950 depending how you treat it on good diesel (get euro truck diesel if you can, this engine loves it), as above don't gp below maybe 200 miles left on the tank and take maybe just two or three 25l cubies of veg and I wouldn't put any more thought into it than that

Tags
d5252t, diesel, france fuel crisis, tdi, veg oil