Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Endless faults with new XC90

Views : 5207

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2016, 20:47   #21
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LF1991 View Post
Anybody who is prepared to be an early adopter has to put up with some glitches. That's what we are here for
Nowadays the problems with new cars seem very minor compared to some cars in the past, say the ****le engined Mazda. No more rust through after 7 or so years either.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 21:09   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
The complexity of the XC90 is a bit of a concern to me, not because of the technology itself but the ability of Volvo and more particularly the dealers to handle what seems like a big leap forward in the use of advanced electronics.

Other premium brands (notably Mercedes and Lexus that I'm familiar with) have been using such systems for many years now and the dealers, even though very familiar with it, still struggle sometimes. Much will depend upon how much has been invested in the diagnostic systems both on the car and at the dealerships.
Volvo technology has always been ahead of most and always bang up to date Pioneering new Technology that either the other makes copy some years later or becomes law some years later . , The XC90 hasn't suddenly gained a lot of new electronic features , They have evolved over the last 15 years ,. Ford Bought Volvo to rape it's technology then dumped it . The XC90 is the first of volvo's own work again , The hard work is done , rolling out the next new models will be easy .. It is a pity that cars are no longer tested in the Arctic and sahara desert for 100000+ miles ...The car may seem complex but the wiring and electronic units really are simple, plenty of them too ! Take away that screen in the middle as what do you have left in front of you , not a lot , only 7 buttons in the car .It is the software which is the grey area ... what interacts with what ...
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 21:19   #23
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LF1991 View Post
No, just got quite a few staff.
........quite a few staff, all with nice company cars!
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 19:10   #24
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Volvo technology has always been ahead of most and always bang up to date Pioneering new Technology that either the other makes copy some years later or becomes law some years later . , The XC90 hasn't suddenly gained a lot of new electronic features , They have evolved over the last 15 years ,. Ford Bought Volvo to rape it's technology then dumped it . The XC90 is the first of volvo's own work again , The hard work is done , rolling out the next new models will be easy .. It is a pity that cars are no longer tested in the Arctic and sahara desert for 100000+ miles ...The car may seem complex but the wiring and electronic units really are simple, plenty of them too ! Take away that screen in the middle as what do you have left in front of you , not a lot , only 7 buttons in the car .It is the software which is the grey area ... what interacts with what ...
As you know Clan I am an un-ashamed D5 lover warts an' all and I just wondered as some-one in the know what you think about the new VEA 4 potters longevity chances?

Dont seem enough pistons or cc to me for a beast like the new XC90.

Are they asking too much from the new engines and do you think they will die prematurely through strain on the components?

Do you think they will stand the test of time and I wonder how much of Ford's technology got ingested into the new engine designs?
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 21:28   #25
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
As you know Clan I am an un-ashamed D5 lover warts an' all and I just wondered as some-one in the know what you think about the new VEA 4 potters longevity chances?

Dont seem enough pistons or cc to me for a beast like the new XC90.

Are they asking too much from the new engines and do you think they will die prematurely through strain on the components?

Do you think they will stand the test of time and I wonder how much of Ford's technology got ingested into the new engine designs?
This engine was designed from scratch to produce 120 bhp to 300+ bhp .It is not an engine like the D5 which was designed for 163 bhp and ended up squeezing 215 bhp and considerably more by independent engine tuners . why wouldn't it have a long life ? I suspect the block is based on the S/V40 one from 1997 , the liners are identical to the previous engines , the VEA D4/5 has 8 massive 28mm inlet ports to flow huge amounts of air .

You really should get a test drive in a D5 XC90 it is effortless to drive and does around 40 mph / 1000 rpm in 8th gear .

How much Ford technology? I guess it depends on how many Ford engineers stayed on , and what happened to the volvo engineers from the pre 1999 era .. ? It would be interesting to know . The plastic Inlet Manifold looks very Ford , but saying that , just about every engine out there now from any manufacturer is like that .

Regarding life , i don't think the engine is going to determine that on today's cars , more like the electronic modules and gearbox / clutch life , in 10 years time , if one of those fails it is not going to be economic to repair ... look back at a 2006 volvo , what's it worth, and could you justify spending say £4000 to get it going again?
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 04:14   #26
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for that, explains quite a bit I didn't understand re the 2ltr VEA 4 potters... I just thought they were taking a 2ltr 4 pot and boosting it to near destruction......

........They're a bit out of my price range at the moment Clan and I'm not too keen on the centre consul touch screen although saying that most cars nowadays seem to be gravitating towards a similar layout....

.......I'm just old school I guess.....perhaps when they've been around for a while I might change my mind.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 08:55   #27
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
I'm not too keen on the centre consul touch screen although saying that most cars nowadays seem to be gravitating towards a similar layout.....
I was just saying yesterday that I wonder how long before accidents might be blamed on drivers using these "tablets" which are designed to be used just like your mobile phone. Scrolling across pages to find the info you need instead of a quick stab at a button for example, takes your eyes off the road.

Using mobiles is already a motoring offence, and these screens are purposely "mobile-like" and a potential distraction.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 09:02   #28
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I was just saying yesterday that I wonder how long before accidents might be blamed on drivers using these "tablets" which are designed to be used just like your mobile phone. Scrolling across pages to find the info you need instead of a quick stab at a button for example, takes your eyes off the road.

Using mobiles is already a motoring offence, and these screens are purposely "mobile-like" and a potential distraction.
I thought that you can use voice commands to access the menus and use the right hand steering wheel buttons to navigate.
No need to use the touch screen.

tem.