Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diagnostics nightmare in Scotland

Views : 521

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2016, 19:59   #1
tonygreen1966

Default Diagnostics nightmare in Scotland

Hi all,

just had some diagnostic done for my ABS and airbag dashboard lights on my 2003 D5 XC90 after MOT failure.
I had hoped it was simple work but apparently not - and I'm gutted.
The local Volvo Indie diagnosed the following-

SRS Airbag. There were about 6 faults - side and front sensors and seatbelt tensioners - he reckoned it was too much of a coincidence for all these failures and suspected the SRS airbag module was knackered. The indie reckoned a few hundred plus VAT for the part from main dealer. Does anybody recondition these modules?

ABS. Rear n/s Sensor fault( could be sensor and or ABS ring on bearing) but also the DEM was 'live' meaning it's knackered and the DEM fault would keep the ABS light on even if the sensor and wheel bearing ABS ring was changed. He said the DEM was about £1000+VAT. I asked about re conditioning and he said he new of a place called E.S Alternators in Kirkintiloch Glasgow. Has anybody any experience with E.S Alternators?

The Volvo indie said they couldn't fit the SRS module anyway as it was a main dealer job? The Volvo Indie was Volvotech in Glasgow and the technician Paul was really helpful and never even charged for the diagnostics. They were the only good part of my day today. I highly recommend them.

I'm really at a loss of what to do- especially after just spending £320 on a rear shock absorber and replacing all my drop links- also for the MOT. I really love my XC90 and want to keep it - but I can't afford Volvo new prices.
I know the DEM is on the diff and I'm sure the SRS module is below the centre consul next to the gear lever and I'll be able to remove them easy enough. Is there any safety issues removing the SRS airbag module? I'm concerned about this as the Volvo indie said only the main dealer could replace it!
Any advice or recommendations on reconditioning these modules greatly appreciated.
I'm going to drink lots of whisky now.

Thanks in advance

Tony
tonygreen1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2016, 21:20   #2
sreviz
Master Member

Please post the fault codes.
It might give a clear picture and some one could help you.

Also BBA reman or Volvo diagnostic can repair the DEM if it is faulty for the fraction of price- Cheaper.

http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
Engine D4204T8.
sreviz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sreviz For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2016, 21:37   #3
tonygreen1966

srevis Thanks for your reply i'm going to check the links. Paul the Volvo Indie never gave me the fault codes - he just told me the DEM was 'live' across it and that the SRS module must be knackered due to all the faults.
tonygreen1966 is offline   Reply With Quote