Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying advice needed - 2008 V70 2.0D - so called SE Lux??

Views : 632

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2016, 21:58   #1
dshbc

Default Buying advice needed - 2008 V70 2.0D - so called SE Lux??

Hi everyone

Just wondering if any body can shed some lights on this car that I m looking at?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...6500&logcode=p

I have just had a look at the spec sheet for V70 and I don't think that for Se Lux Cars they can have R-design seats or steering wheel as an option.

However, when I had a look at the GOV vehicle check the reg was down for a 2008 V70 2.0D Se Lux in red -

Could the first or second owners have modified it themselves?
If they did it would seem quite an expensive job to replace the seats and the wheels and also the front grille.

I am aware that there is a R-design SE/ SE Sport but surely this will be down as R-design SE in the Vehicle records stored by DVLA?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated
dshbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 23:32   #2
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

At the age that car is they didn't call them R-Design on the model designation. On the drivers door jam they often just say SE Sport (a replacement trim level from the previous SE Sport which was equipped with 4C and ventilated seats etc) so perhaps it's been recorded on an MoT incorrectly?? It happens from time to time and when you sell on Auto Trader etc the reg looks up the MoT history. It's certainly not a modified SE Lux, it hasn't got the spec. I'm sure it's just an error. Ask the vendor to read out the black sticker on the drivers door jam to you, I imagine it'll say SE Sport

When I took my car to Volvo for an MoT they had SE Sport written on the invoice from the vehicle lookup; my car is an SE. It's just one of those paperwork things, nothing to worry about If you buy, mention to the MoT tester you want them to correct it and enter SE Sport into the trim section. It'll probably correct it from there
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 10:02   #3
adsk

I agree. It's not an SE Lux. My V5 says that my SE Lux is a SE Sport - so mistakes on the MOT/V5 are not uncommon.

As previous poster says, sticker on the drivers door jamb will clear things up.
adsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 10:37   #4
Rooster
Speed freak

It looks like an R-design SE to me and looking on volvo system it came out of factory with those seats in and winter pack,

Its actually a 2009 model year aswell
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 17:57   #5
dshbc

Default SE Sport it is

Hi there,

Thank you so much for all the advice and comments!

Just went to have a look at it today at Birmingham and yes, it was an SE Sport as stated on the door jam, 2.0D 136PS

On the first instance it felt much smoother than my V50, which at times felt a bit crude at dealing with road imperfections, and it was so surprised how smooth it went over the small speed bumps!

I hope I havent bought an old banger but it did have some paperwork to prove that the previous owner did look after it quite well, with new tyres and cambelt done in mid 2014.

In general the car seemed fine and nice to me and the engine bay, although a bit dusted with dirt, I could hear much road noise and niggles.

The car inside seems to be quite well looked after and I secured a good/ moderately nice deal with my V50 as P/x.

Just out of interest, is this 2.0D, also the like 1.6D from Ford /PSA group?
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 20:26   #6
adsk

Yes, it is a Ford/PSA engine. The main difference is that the 1.6 has a 'wet' DPF that needs to be replaced every 6yrs/72k miles, whereas the 2.0D has a 'dry' DPF that doesn't need to be replaced.
adsk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adsk For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 21:04   #7
dshbc

Phew!

That's better to hear actually.

The Driv-E 1.6D was where I came from in the V50 I p/x today.

It felt a bit clattery and non refined to some extent, but the handling and body roll was quite a bit less in the V50 than the V70 as when I was driving the V70 home today, but V70 is a bigger car so its quite forgivable.

The dealer did say to me that I was lucky to get 137k miles with no problem out of the 1.6d PSA 'CRAP' - as he described them hence he was quite reluctant to take my V50 for Part Ex

That engine is in so many cars but I can't imagine it is that bad? Do they really have a limited lifespan?
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 22:08   #8
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Dealers get shift about them as they worry about resale and people coming back with faults but I've had 2 and done big miles in both, no worries. The 2.0D is a more sturdy unit. It's not as revered as a D5 but it's a sound motor, I've had 3 of them now and I found the Volvo tweaked unit much better than the original PSA tune. Good luck with the new car, I like the R-Design trim in red, I want a red car next, only colour I haven't had lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post: