Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear Passenger door stuck

Views : 448

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2016, 11:35   #1
klunk1971

Default Rear Passenger door stuck

Hi,

Mot is due soon but the rear passenger door on drivers side on my 2001 v70 has never opened since I had the car ,

The indicator knob pops up but neither handle will open it after searching the net I tried flicking the lock mechanism in 2 places from inside the door but still wont budge

Will I have to smash it to bits? my worry is ill smash it and it still wont release so ill be stuck with locked door with a smashed lock

Anyone done this?
klunk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 12:05   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

I'm not sure smashing anything is required just removal of the door card to access the handle/cable mechanism.
If you have to cut out the card so be it. Door cards can be picked up for little money from a breakers.
As an escape route for rear passengers, it's no worse than driving a two door coupe so as long as it's securely latched closed, is a stuck door even an mot fail ?
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 12:31   #3
MWMan
Master Member

I have had a rear door that wouldn't open from the outside fail an MOT. However, on the same car passenger door which will open from the outside, but not the inside, passed the MOT OK. It looks as though for safety reasons you must be able to escape the car from the inside, but necessarily be able to open it from the outside.
MWMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 13:06   #4
Simon Jones
Premier Member

As a general rule of thumb: if something is fitted to a car, it is fair game to be tested & will be expected to work. For example, not having a tow bar is not a failure, but having one which is loose will be an issue. A two door car will have front seats specifically designed to allow rear passengers to get in & out but a saloon car will not so I'm not sure that is a valid argument.

The online MOT tester manual will probably clarify the situation, but if you don't want to destroy the door unnecessarily, present the car for test & if it passes: happy days, but if it fails you'll have to take it apart anyway.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 07:20   #5
klunk1971

I have the door card off still can't get it open is why I said smash it , pushing the spring round isn't opening it
klunk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote