Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strange Alarm Service required message

Views : 33929

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 23:34   #41
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
Have you got a part number for that? It would be very useful to a lot of folk who prefer to repair rather than replace.
Yes I do, in fact when I emailed them enquiring about it they asked me if it was for a Volvo! So I reckoned someone has been there before me. I traced the number from the original cell to their website. Emmerich the original manfacturer has gone bust but they can supply an equivelant of slightly less capacity.

Product: S-95280840 -BR-AB2808VA-6V13H NiMH Battery Pack

It comes in a shrunk wrapped plastic insulator and it looks like it is held together with "wire glue" which is a conductive adhesive.

If you tell them it's for a Volvo they will know what you are after. It did take a week to get it delivered as they had to make for me, but I reckon if they get more orders I guess they will have a batch ready for posting and less delay.

The cost was £11.67 each + VAT ex works Telford UK.
Total amount payable £20.00 including VAT and P&P.

I am not affiliated with this company and these details are purely for information.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShadeTek For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 18:33   #42
Knockinshop

Hi everyone!
I found this thread very helpful.
My V70 wouldn't start. I had seen the Alarm Service Required error.
I took out Fuse 38 iirc, and it started fine.
Now the question is whether to pay £160 for the new alarm siren (I'll take out the old one first to have a look)
Anyway, today the car wouldn't start. Nothing. Then started once later, but not again after that.

Does anyone know if this might be related to the alarm, or if it might be something else, like ignition or starter?

Doesn't seem battery related at all.

Thanks,
Ross.
Knockinshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 23:18   #43
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockinshop View Post
Now the question is whether to pay £160 for the new alarm siren (I'll take out the old one first to have a look)

Thanks,
Ross.
Don't pay silly money for an alarm module, the full kit which includes new rivets, a tamper proof bolt and a spare bonnet catch with switch is about £60 cheaper!
I paid £95 last year from Rufe at FRF Volvo.
Fitting was an absolute doddle, the whole job took less than an hour.
Once I had my old unit off, I cut it open and found that the whole circuit board had corroded beyond repair; this seems to be the case with most people who have tried to repair them, there do not seem to be many people who have been lucky.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 60041 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 09:48   #44
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60041 View Post
there do not seem to be many people who have been lucky.
When I got my car I went round and sorted all the potential problems that were round the conrer, the alarm battery being one of them. There was no hint of leaking but the car battery was getting drained a bit too quick by the alarm BU cells.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 13:02   #45
kdst5

I am sure I saw a post from Rufe to say Volvo had increased the price of the alarm kit and it is now cheaper to buy just the module etc. Can't find the post so may be I am wrong?
kdst5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 14:02   #46
jasmith44
jasmith44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdst5 View Post
I am sure I saw a post from Rufe to say Volvo had increased the price of the alarm kit and it is now cheaper to buy just the module etc. Can't find the post so may be I am wrong?
Just search alarm siren. about 7 threads down. P2 Series Alarm Siren Kit 9499758
jasmith44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 17:40   #47
weble

Hey guys, sorry to bump this thread

I'm now having issues with the alarm on my 2000 S80, got back off holiday to find my self with a near flat battery, and it saying the alarm had been activated.

So sorted the battery out (it was too small for the car anyway, RAC had fitted it in NOV, so they replaced that under warrantee as it was their fault!

Now i get either "Alarm activated, check car" message or just "alarm service required". For the last week, only TODAY i managed to catch it actually going off! Indicators are flashing but there is no sounding of the alarm siren at all, not a peep, i knew the alarm had a problem when i got the car as it was VERY quiet, i set it off one day and thought it was a car in the next street it was so quiet!

Does this mean my siren has gone too? Or is it all linked to needed a new module? I'm looking to get shot of the car very soon so i'm tempted just to pull the fuse!

Many thanks
weble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 17:43   #48
reggit
Premier Member

Most likely it's just the siren - pulling the fuse will still give you the warning on the dash I beleive.

Get a know working unit from a scrappy - mine cost £30 and about an hour mucking about with it - I opened it and moved the internal battery out into a plastic box in the engine bay.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 17:51   #49
weble

silly question, but would this not just mean when my alarm keeps going off it makes a noise instead of nothing? Or is the duff Siren the reason it keeps going off?
weble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 10:33   #50
Mac2

Just going through the "Alarm Service Required" loop myself. In preparation for having a crack at removing and replacing the NiMh battery in my V70s siren I called Univercell (see post above) to be informed that they are now AceOn Battery Online and they now sell the replacement 7.2V batterys online.

See the link below in case it is helpul to anyone.

http://www.aceonbattery.co.uk/online...arm-batteries/

After all, all the advice in this forum suggests that if you are going to try changing the siren battery - its best to do so as soon as possible before it leaks over the pcb in the siren. So time is of the essence!

I am not affiliated with this company and these details are purely for information.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote