Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Random Vibration

Views : 734

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2015, 13:05   #1
manofdogs

Default Random Vibration

Just got V70 back from MOT and service - new rear brake shoes, brake hold down kit and new tyres.

Car drove great but shortly afterwards started vibrating at motorway speed and I assumed it was a wheel balancing issue. However, the vibration doesn't stop when slowing down - remains until I stop. Turning engine off and on seems to resolve the issue until next time - which has been within 10 minutes but then has also not recurred for several days. Mostly occurs after period of driving at steady speeds but has happened twice within a few minutes of start and at local road speeds. When it starts, the shuddering gets quickly and progressively worse throughout the entire care and I have to pull in. I'm a mechanical no-hoper so if you have a theory please don't be too technical! Cheers
manofdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 13:31   #2
4candles
I've Been Banned

First and foremost check your wheel nuts are tight....

I really don't know what is going on as there are just too many variables, i think you need to take it back to whoever serviced it and complain.

Maybe something to do with the handbrake, but we can't check that for you here obviously.

Stopping the car may just allow a loose item to settle before getting caught up again, caliper anti-rattle clip? very doubtful.

Sounds engine not mechanical if switching of and restarting aleviates the issue.

Fuel filter o-rings damaged letting air in?
Filter on backwards? (Petrol)
Were the spark-plugs replaced?
Poor coil connection?
Gallivanting shaft rubbing on the giggling pin?

thats all without you telling us whether its petrol or diesel, auto or manual, year etc???

Last edited by 4candles; Dec 14th, 2015 at 14:37.
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 14:43   #3
manofdogs

Thanks for the suggestions - very prompt. I'm new to this forum and thought the car specs would show automatically from my profile. Anyway: V70 Estate Petrol, auto, 2.5 SE. 2004, 138k.

Wheel nuts are fine. I did get the car back from a tyre centre last year with all front wheel nuts left untightened - so very aware of that problem!!

Despite my luck of mechanical knowledge I did wonder about air intake - feels like engine randomly stops running properly which I presume could happen if air/fuel mix is periodically disturbed.

It's going back to garage next week - but they are mystified over the phone so I thought it best to get some possible indicators from people who might know or have experienced similar problems. Thanks again - much appreciated

Last edited by manofdogs; Dec 14th, 2015 at 14:45. Reason: typo
manofdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 14:56   #4
4candles
I've Been Banned

What level of service was carried out?
If they only did an oil change then they've a right to be mystified..
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 15:06   #5
oragex
Premier Member

I would go with engine misfire. Also maybe engine/transmission mounts. Maybe they knackered some fuel line when lifting the car?
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 15:11   #6
4candles
I've Been Banned

My V70 fuel filter pipe clip/union broke slightly a while back when i changed it and i seem to recall it sucking air and misfiring, it wasn't leaking petrol though, well not enough to notice, or rapidly accelerate the controlled and steady combustion of my cigarette!

Fixed it before driving it so never experienced vibration.

Last edited by 4candles; Dec 14th, 2015 at 15:27.

Tags
shuddering, v70, vibration