Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water in my petrol tank

Views : 1871

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2015, 16:41   #1
Laney760
VOC Member

Default Water in my petrol tank

As I normally do this time of year I emptied the leftover 5 litre cans of petrol used for my garden power tools into the car's tank rather than have them sit overwinter to go stale. One with a couple of litres in didn't have a lid, it was lost but I figured that as it had been under a lean-to rain couldn't have gotten into it. Duh, very bad decision. Put the petrol into the car, started her up, oh boy, is she running badly. Stuttering like mad. I didn't think about condensation. It's not such a tragedy in that once she warms up (say within a mile) she switches over to lpg and then runs perfectly but nevertheless for that first mile of my journey she is slow, lacking in power and spluttering and that could be dangerous. I thought by adding more petrol and going for a run I would push the bad petrol through but that didn't work and I've read that in order for the water to combust I have to add some meths to the tank and that the meths and water combine and the meths combusts thereby getting rid of the water. I've also read that I can use Wynns

Any advice anybody please?

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 18:58   #2
chris-oxon

This is a common problem in the U.S. as any moisture in the fuel lines can easily freeze in extreme temperatures - with the result that the car just cuts out and stops. This happened to me in Minnesota many years ago at about -20degrees. So U.S. accessory shops sell lots of suitable fuel treatments - and I used to use them in every tank of fuel when I lived there.

Not so much demand obviously in the U.K., but I did some searching on the internet and came up with following product, which might help if you can get it!

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...ith-antifreeze
The Following User Says Thank You to chris-oxon For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 19:31   #3
phil1968
Master Member

Yes use meths, it makes the petrol absorb the water instead of it separating out & the engine will then burn it (as strange as that sounds). I did it with a tank of water contaminated petrol on one of my bikes after recommendation & it worked :-)
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phil1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 19:53   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1968 View Post
Yes use meths, it makes the petrol absorb the water instead of it separating out & the engine will then burn it (as strange as that sounds). I did it with a tank of water contaminated petrol on one of my bikes after recommendation & it worked :-)
I remember volvo recommending in one of the old green manuals white spirit to do the same job , i.e. emulsify the water to allow it to go through the system and be burned .
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 20:26   #5
Laney760
VOC Member

Thanks everybody. I'd already ordered some meths when Chris posted, if the meths doesn't work then I'll order Chris's recommended product

Just been outside to make sure she'll start in the cold in the morning, have to give her extra gas as soon as she fires up....

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 22:04   #6
migrator
Aye - him again

If the meths trick does not work, you can always drink it - waste not want not ...

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to migrator For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 23:29   #7
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Seem to remember a thread in the past about water in fuel and someone said it was more common with boats and they have additives to deal with it, might be worth a chat with a boat yard or chandlery.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 17:07   #8
oragex
Premier Member

It is better not to use gasoline that had sat for a few months. Also, you mention gasoline was kept in a recipient without a lid, normally gasoline would evaporate (and smell) quite rapidly in such situation.

I would rather remove the gas pump cover and siphoning the remaining gasoline.
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 06:37   #9
green van man
Premier Member

Has the 760 a tank drain plug?
Petrol will sit on top of water if left to settle so if a drain plug is available the first fluid out is the water. If not can you gain access to the tank via the the fuel gauge sender, if so drop pipe to bottom of tank and suck/ syphon the water out, you could try this via the filler cap but its ensuring the pipe is at the bottom of the tank that would be the problem.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 07:29   #10
dingov70
Master Member

Morning Laney , just been reading your tale of woe . A relatively cheap solution is to buy a bottle of the following :- Briggs & Stratton fuel fit . I use this on plant equipment to good effect , especially for engines that only get used rarely & left with modern fuel in them .

It also helps with slowing down the effects of fuel turning stale when stored , another cause of poor running on petrol , it may well be worth a try as it can for want of a better phrase mop up any water lurking elsewhere in your fuel system that can / will create problems