Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alarm not arming

Views : 639

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 17:25   #1
MJamson

Default Alarm not arming

Hello all,

Another alarm woes post.

My dad has a V70 D5 from 2007 and it has an arming issue with the alarm.

We can lock the car, by both the key and fob buttons and we get a flash from the indicator lights.

The car locks itself but thats it. There is no flashing LED on the dash and we cannot set the alarm off.

The panic button works and activates the siren and lights.

My dad has looked at the fuse on the dashboard, but said that there were lots missing and it didn't feel like it was secure.

I have been reading about other peoples problems and think that the issue might be down to either the bonnet switch or the siren.

Currently we are just trying to locate the issue and would like to try bypass the bonnet sensor. Does anybody know how to do this ? It is mentioned on this thread ( http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=45013 ) but no detailed information is given on how to do it.

The vehicle was in at volvo last year for a new key however they never commented on any alarm error messages (I assume that they would mention for a little extra money), and the car should have had the latest software from when the towbar was fitted again last year.

Many thanks for any help

Mike
MJamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 23:41   #2
100K+
Premier Member

I have not seen an alarm problem when the alarm actually worked. You say you can set it with the panic button.
Can the alarm be triggered when a window is left open and the doors locked? - possible senor malfunction. Does opening the doors(before the deadlocks kick in) cause the siren to sound?. Opening either front door with the key should cause the same effect. If none of this works its probably not the internal sensor or door monitoring system and fault is buried deeper.
If you can access VIDA/DICE there may be codes stored that will give you a pointer in the right direction.
Much else is guess work on your part, unless someone has experienced this exact same problem.

Good luck

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 08:55   #3
MJamson

Yes Bob the panic button works, cant set the alarm off with open windows, haven't tried opening a door but can do later.

It is an ex-mod car, so I could understand that they might want to deactivate the alarm, but I thought that they would do it by a simple method such as removing a fuse.
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 09:14   #4
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:- It is an ex-mod car, unquote.

That I think is your problem, and I think your assumption is correct - but a fuse would be too simple for Volvo. a relay removal might be a better bet.
How you could confirm this I don't know.
But makes me think the only way you'll sort this is with DICE.

Do the dead locks work??

BTW the fuses and relays I think on your car are located under/behind the lower dash by the steering wheel. not the easiest of access.

Good luck

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 09:25   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

If any of the bonnet/door switches aren't working, you won't get the indicator flash on locking so I'd say they're all ok.
I think you're going to have to get a Dice/Vida code read to investigate this further.
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 09:31   #6
reggit
Premier Member

I remember when looking at an alarm prroblem on my old S60 (not this I hasten to add), there is software available to not arm the alarm when locked with the keyfob, and to arm the alarm when locked with the key.

I suspect your car has software loaded that makes the alarm not arm. I wonder if a volvo dealer could confirm this from the VIN number?
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 09:56   #7
MJamson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJamson View Post
an ex-mod car
I do think that this explains alot.

The history that we have pieced together is that it is an italian spec v70, that was bought by the mod and used in germany.

My dad bought it early last year just before he left england. During the importin of it we found out that it has the XCountry D5 engine and the inspector thought that it was a little too clean for the car, so we can only assume that it had a motor swap.

other than the alarm and a few scratches its spot on.

I think that we might have to go the vida / dice route.

I'm planning today to check fuses and I'll take a look at some relays.