Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 rear bumper brackets

Views : 1579

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2015, 18:05   #11
Cliff Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimka View Post
believe part no is 6816114

let us know how much you pay.
Just to let you know, I ended up purchasing two brackets and two bolts from Volvo dealer which cost me just over £42 ! I could have made the bolts from lengths of studding but reckoned on getting the real thing ! I haven't dealt with the independent you mention, so it would be helpful if you could let me know some details please.
Cliff Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 09:32   #12
Peter 62
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Patch View Post
Just to let you know, I ended up purchasing two brackets and two bolts from Volvo dealer which cost me just over £42 ! I could have made the bolts from lengths of studding but reckoned on getting the real thing ! I haven't dealt with the independent you mention, so it would be helpful if you could let me know some details please.
Sorry Cliff. Never got around to doing mine yet. 2 girls off to Uni next week and I have to shelve everything else until I get them sorted.

That said, I did call Rufe and was quoted (rough figures as is on a piece of paper on my mess of a desk somewhere) just over £14 each for the brackets (incl vat) with £6.99 P&P.

Also called the local dealer and they were similar price, but +vat

As for bolts, I was hoping to either rescue originals, or get same/similar from a really good nut and bolt shop near me. Intended brushing up originals and giving them a spray in advance of doing the job, but not got around to it yer

2004 V70 Facelift, Auto Silver
Peter 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 15:32   #13
brickman
Premier Member

Yup that photo looks like mine, a good 3/4" panel gap towards the rear, bumper doesn't move up and down, but its certainly rotten!

Can't believe that bracket is made of such thin gauge steel!? I've seen brackets that hold radio's onto a wall beefier than that.
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 20:56   #14
Cliff Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickman View Post
Yup that photo looks like mine, a good 3/4" panel gap towards the rear, bumper doesn't move up and down, but its certainly rotten!

Can't believe that bracket is made of such thin gauge steel!? I've seen brackets that hold radio's onto a wall beefier than that.
Yes, mine were just like the pics except they were still hanging on by a thread. The problem with the bolts was that they just sheared off when I tried to undo them. I couldn't get to the top of the bolt to get the wd40 on, and I don't think it would have made any difference anyway. I ended up on the nearside cutting through the tailpipe extension to remove it to get to the bolt. The way I got the brackets off was to cut through the brackets where the two fixing bolts go into the chassis leg and then just pull the bumper off, after drilling out the bumper to wheel arch shield, of course ! This is where the corrosion helps ! Cliff
Cliff Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 21:27   #15
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Not sure if this is relevant, but I was stripping a 1999 V70 . Scrappie was on his way, when I decided to take off the very good rear bumper.
Trouble is the large bolts that go up through the bracket and bumper sheared off when I undid them.

Then I realised that I could simply pry the whole bumper downwards, bending back the bottom edge of the weak brackets. After prying down about an inch, the aluminium channel inside the bumper cleared the snapped off ends of the large bolts and then I could easily take off the whole bumper.

If I hadnt been scrapping the car, at that point I would have had to tackle the snapped off bolts by drilling out and extracting etc, and gone looking for some good brackets.

It may be that the brackets for the front bumper are the same as for the rear bumper, so that might help you find some that are in good enough condition. Also maybe worth looking at the front bolts.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 06:26   #16
Faultcodereader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSarre View Post
Not sure if this is relevant, but I was stripping a 1999 V70 . Scrappie was on his way, when I decided to take off the very good rear bumper.
Trouble is the large bolts that go up through the bracket and bumper sheared off when I undid them.

Then I realised that I could simply pry the whole bumper downwards, bending back the bottom edge of the weak brackets. After prying down about an inch, the aluminium channel inside the bumper cleared the snapped off ends of the large bolts and then I could easily take off the whole bumper.

If I hadnt been scrapping the car, at that point I would have had to tackle the snapped off bolts by drilling out and extracting etc, and gone looking for some good brackets.

It may be that the brackets for the front bumper are the same as for the rear bumper, so that might help you find some that are in good enough condition. Also maybe worth looking at the front bolts.

Steve
That's spot on, my bolt head had rounded off, so I had to cut the head of with a bosch multi tool, then pry the bumper down as you described. Unfortunately my bracket was bent out of shape due to an impact, if anyone should have a spare one for a v70 1998, let us know. Or I'll go down the volvo dealer route.