Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rubber Strut Top Mounts

Views : 749

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2015, 14:16   #1
XcOM

Default Rubber Strut Top Mounts

Hi guys,

I went to go fit my strut brace, when I was undoing one of my bolts it started spinning and wasn't undoing, the nut that is pressed in to the strut top mount has come loose, I can't remove or do it back up as it's a round nut.

I know I am going to need to replace this but I don't have the tools or the knowhow to get it done before I go to France.

I found the replacements for about £8 for non Volvo ones, I am going to speak to the garage tomorrow, what I want to know is this, do you guys think I should try and get them to replace them for free, as they shouldn't be perishing at only 7 years old? or should I just bite the bullet and pay for it.

I was going to get new springs fitted at the same time, so when I go in they will in effect be fitting Apex lowering springs (35mm should be OK shouldn't it?) strut brace and two front top mount's (Was going to get both done as they are both perished)

Note to self, drive carefully and gingerly till the mount is replaced.

XcOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2015, 16:58   #2
cjj

Can you not just 'hold' the thread in place whilst you nip up the nut? For example, by cutting in a keyway on the nipple at the top, it might give you enough to hold the thread steady with a flathead screwdriver.

Top mounts are a consumable item, and with many makes & models you'd be lucky to get 7 years out of them. They're made of rubber and will deteriorate based on driving conditions, so just the same as a clutch, tyres, wipers, bump stops etc. I very much doubt you'll convince anyone to pay for them, but up to you if you try.

I imagine they'd point to your removal of the nut as consequential, as the problem didn't really exist before that point, I guess.

One nut missing off a top mount will have next to no difference anyway. I've driven round on one before in previous cars.
cjj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjj For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2015, 18:44   #3
XcOM

I did think that, I also thought of trying to marr it to get something to grab on to, but because of where it is I can't get to it, just hoping they don't try to charge me a fortune to remove it, I might just cut it off before I take it in.

Old Sep 6th, 2015, 20:14   #4
cjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
I did think that, I also thought of trying to marr it to get something to grab on to, but because of where it is I can't get to it, just hoping they don't try to charge me a fortune to remove it, I might just cut it off before I take it in.
You essentially remove the shock absorber to remove the top mount, so cutting the thread off makes no difference.
cjj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjj For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 21:05   #5
850Chris
Premier Member

Out of interest, what are the symptoms of worn / failed top mounts? Reason for asking is that whilst my car is driving normally, its recently developed a 'creak' from the engine bay when coming to a stop - particularly noticeable in stop/start traffic. Thinking it could be top mounts?

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2015, 08:40   #6
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Chris View Post
Out of interest, what are the symptoms of worn / failed top mounts? Reason for asking is that whilst my car is driving normally, its recently developed a 'creak' from the engine bay when coming to a stop - particularly noticeable in stop/start traffic. Thinking it could be top mounts?
I'd say it's definitely suspension related, broken spring, strut or mount.
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 18:57   #7
XcOM

Yea when the mounts ware out they tend to start squeeking as do most suspension parts as there moving,

If you take your wheel off and look up you can see it, poke it with a screw-driver, it should be firm, if not then it's perishing, or cracked then get it replaced.

The Following User Says Thank You to XcOM For This Useful Post: