Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie with an issue on a 2009, C30 1.6, R-Design Drive D

Views : 4149

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2015, 21:13   #1
Stokey69

Default Newbie with an issue on a 2009, C30 1.6, R-Design Drive D

Hi,

I've had my 2009 C30 1.6, R Design Drive D now for a few months. During this time a noise has started to come from the engine bay.

This noise only comes at low revs, when pulling away/ changing gear and accelerating after. It is not there at idle, or above about 2000 rpm.

The noise sounds like a budgie chirping.

I have remove the drive belt, and driven the car, and the nose is still there, so its not the drive belt/ alternator or air con compressor.

Has anybody else suffered with this sort of noise?? or come across a problem like this??

Any advice will be welcome.

Also does anybody have a copy of the timing for this vehicle as well please, because my next port of call is going to be checking out the timing belt, and while I'm look at the belt, I'm contemplating changing it.
Stokey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2015, 21:34   #2
cjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokey69 View Post
Hi,

I've had my 2009 C30 1.6, R Design Drive D now for a few months. During this time a noise has started to come from the engine bay.

This noise only comes at low revs, when pulling away/ changing gear and accelerating after. It is not there at idle, or above about 2000 rpm.

The noise sounds like a budgie chirping.

I have remove the drive belt, and driven the car, and the nose is still there, so its not the drive belt/ alternator or air con compressor.

Has anybody else suffered with this sort of noise?? or come across a problem like this??

Any advice will be welcome.

Also does anybody have a copy of the timing for this vehicle as well please, because my next port of call is going to be checking out the timing belt, and while I'm look at the belt, I'm contemplating changing it.
Does the car have a history of a belt change? It does sound a little like an over-tensioned cambelt. Had this years ago when the o/h (at the time) had bought a Punto with the same issue.

The interval (off the top of my head) is either around 87,500 miles or 7 years, or 150,000 miles or 10 years - it depends on the age, but I can't remember when the changeover is. Service book would tell you.

The timing is done with locking pins, so difficult to get it wrong, but from memory it isn't locked at TDC, but 30 degrees before.
cjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2015, 21:40   #3
Stokey69

Hi
The car has covered approx 68k with full service history, and the belt has not been changed.
Struggling to find a workshop manual, as I want to read up before I attempt the cam belt change.
Also want to know if this engine has a chain that connects the two cams, as well as a timing belt..???
Also thanks for the advice
Old Sep 5th, 2015, 22:03   #4
cjj

Quote:
Hi
The car has covered approx 68k with full service history, and the belt has not been changed.
Struggling to find a workshop manual, as I want to read up before I attempt the cam belt change.
Also want to know if this engine has a chain that connects the two cams, as well as a timing belt..???
Also thanks for the advice

The engine is the same unit used in most 1.6D cars of that age, as it's a Peugeot-Ford (Gemini) developed engine, used in Peugeot, Citroen, Ford, Mini etc. The Cam pulley varies slightly on fitment I think.

The 16v variant (there is a newer 8v version, changeover is marked as 'D2' I think) has a small chain that connects the cams, as you mention, but with a single pulley from these driven by the cam belt; this means that it can essentially be timed up like an 8v without having to worry about messing about with the cams individually.
Old Sep 5th, 2015, 22:13   #5
Stokey69

That explains why I can only find a timing belt for this vehicle, and no replacement chains.

I've brought a timing belt kit, complete with pulleys/ adjuster and new water pump, so when I remove the covers I'm going to replace the belt as a matter of cause.
Just hope this cures the issue.

Are there any other known issues with this engine...????
Old Sep 5th, 2015, 22:45   #6
cjj

Quote:
That explains why I can only find a timing belt for this vehicle, and no replacement chains.

I've brought a timing belt kit, complete with pulleys/ adjuster and new water pump, so when I remove the covers I'm going to replace the belt as a matter of cause.

Depends really who's been near it.

It can be reasonably fragile in the wrong hands, as can be evidence from a number of more of the recent threads in here.

It's a modern diesel, so it has the usual DMF, DPF, EGR and Turbo systems involved, each or many can suffer as a result of poor maintenance or complacent spannering.

The usual starting block with these is down to the DPF. It's not a serviceable item. Regeneration is performed on earlier models using EOLYS, which is stored in a separate tank. Essentially it's a bit like having a 2 stroke.

What it means for you, the end user, is that you need to have the additive topped up (can be £70+ a litre), you'll probably still get some oil dilution from regenerations, and at around 75k miles (or 6 years) the DPF is due to be replaced - so that service can be a stinger (£1,130 RRP, but often a bit cheaper at competitive dealer pricing).

It's quite common to see two things approaching this service; either:

1) Lots of 1.6Ds coming up for sale just before that service occurs, as it involves a premium; or

2) Many 1.6Ds being at the beginning of their problems; either the owner will skimp on the service, or a non-Volvo service will occur and cut corners (or fail to change the DPF). This will then possibly involve multiple scenarios, such as constant regens due to a duff DPF that's way past it's interval, resulting in either oil dilution and running on, or damage to the engine from lack of EOLYS fluid or overloaded DPFs and so on.

As is the case with modern vehicles, there's often many cases of people trying to run cars they can't afford to keep serviced, resulting in more expense than proper volvo maintenance would have cost in the first place, as the engine, turbo, EGR and DPF will all probably cause each other issues by being forced to work under conditions they weren't design to be put under.
Old Sep 6th, 2015, 08:00   #7
julianps
Master Member

Quote:

As cjj has written problems with the 1.6D are pretty much the same problems with all diesel engines of this type. The fuel additive needs to be checked/topped-up every 37,500 miles and if it runs out the car will go into limp-mode. The additive is used to burn-off soot trapped by the DPF but in turn this forms ash that, over time, blocks the DPF, requiring replacement every 75,000 miles. Once the DPF gets blocked the car will go into limp mode.

As always, keep an eye on oil levels as, if there are issues elsewhere excess diesel used in the regen' cycle can drop though to the sump, the oil level rises, eventually (and rarely) this feeds into the cylinders and the engine rapidly and uncontrollably revs towards self-destruct. Always keep an eye on oil levels and if they exceed max drain the sump and have a dealer check the regeneration system.

DMF/EGR is a the same as DMF/EGR everywhere else; basically don't the engine labour too much on upshifts and so far as possible stick to 2nd gear for 20mph, 3rd for 30mph and 4th for 40+ ... there's lots of EGR-related discussion on these forums.

The engine's achilles-heel though is it's turbo; there's an oil feed to and from and the banjo-bolt on the "to" feed has a mesh filter built into it. Trouble is, if the oil is not kept super-clean, or there are EGR issues, or the turbo's not given a minute-or-so of tick-over after a decent run to cool down, oil residue clogs this filter, starves the turbo bearings of cooling/lubrication resulting in premature failure of the unit [this failure is common to all applications including Volvo and Mazda, Cit/Pug and Mini ... oh, and Ford's including Transit vans].
Quote:
16-1-2012: Turbo problem on 1.6TDCI/1.6HDI DV6 appears to be getting worse: Reader reports 1.6TDCI at 56,000 miles: "Car lost power plus growl/whine indicating turbo trouble - drove gently 3 miles to local garage where tech confirmed - pulled inlet rubber pipe and demonstrated wear in turbo bearings. He is quite clued up and knows a lot about this problem. There is a huge amount of evidence of similar cases in the Backroom forum and others, and there is clearly a serious problem affecting this engine. The cure is not just a new turbo, but new oil pipe, pump, pick-up, etc etc. Ford dealer prices for repairs are £1,200 for parts alone. There was a Ford TSB45/2008 about this. Newer engines (2008+) have modified parts. Apparently you can get a new turbo for £350 plus £120 for a "kit" of modified pipes/pick-up unions etc. from Transitpartsuk (International Parts Ltd) to fit next week. eBay supplier TransitpartsUK
... oh yes, and every now and again the plastic dip-stick will separate and the end fall into the sump, necessitating sump-off to get it back (HonestJohn).
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote