Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Emissions Light

Views : 2423

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 19:51   #1
cookie2520

Default V50 Emissions Light

Hi all, new to the volvo forum so be gentle. Ive bought a 60 plate V50 1.6 drive. It required a service when i got it which caused a ' reduced engine performance' issue and forced it into limp mode. Got the car serviced today and for all of 10 minutes life was good again. Now the emission warning light has came on literally within 10 miles of leaving the garage. Can the emissions light somehow be linked to the service or is it just unlucky timing and the lambda sensor needs cleaning?
Thanks in advance
cookie2520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 21:25   #2
cjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie2520 View Post
Hi all, new to the volvo forum so be gentle. Ive bought a 60 plate V50 1.6 drive. It required a service when i got it which caused a ' reduced engine performance' issue and forced it into limp mode. Got the car serviced today and for all of 10 minutes life was good again. Now the emission warning light has came on literally within 10 miles of leaving the garage. Can the emissions light somehow be linked to the service or is it just unlucky timing and the lambda sensor needs cleaning?
Thanks in advance
The 1.6 Drive has the same engine as basically Ford/Peugeot etc. It's a DV6 engine with some fettling by Volvo.

Part of the DV6 engine involves a DPF which, for the simplest sense, is a serviceable/replacement item. It is due to be replaced at around the 6th year/75k mile service, which makes said service very expensive.

It's not uncommon for previously ill-informed owners to swiftly sell the car around this time in order to avoid paying near-enough £1100 for that service.

That is the one way the emissions light can be associated with the service, so, judging by the year of the vehicle, it should have just had its 5th year service (if the mileage is around or lower than 62000) or, if it has higher mileage, it may have had/be due it's 75000 mile service.

So... the question is - what is the mileage and did you have the service performed at an authorised Volvo repairer?
cjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 21:55   #3
cookie2520

It has full service history but nothing around £1100 showing. The last service prior to the one today was carried out at 70,000. The car has 113,000 on the clock and it wasnt carried out at a volvo garage. Im suspicious that it wasnt showing before it went in for service but was immediatly afterwards. Im taking it back to the garage first thing
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 23:24   #4
cjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie2520 View Post
It has full service history but nothing around £1100 showing. The last service prior to the one today was carried out at 70,000. The car has 113,000 on the clock and it wasnt carried out at a volvo garage. Im suspicious that it wasnt showing before it went in for service but was immediatly afterwards. Im taking it back to the garage first thing
£1100 is the Volvo 'guide' price; in reality, most Volvo approved repairers (be it main dealer, or main dealer minus the new car sales) will offer a more competitive price, so the 75k service can often be somewhere between £800-£1100.

Either way, it should most definitely have had a DPF replacement around that time, based on your mileage.

As daft as it sounds, it makes good sense to have the servicing carried out at a Volvo dealership, should you live near a good one. With an official Volvo service, you'll often find the price isn't much different than any other garage will do, yet you get the Volvo 'Service Promise' - 12 months roadside assistance (often including courtesy car for if you have any issues), free software updates, free wash and vac etc.

As you plan to do, it is a good idea to return to where you had the service carried out - keep us posted.

One thing I will say is that a lambda sensor will never need cleaning as such, they can fail but any attempt to clean the sensors will be very temporary in its efforts.
cjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 23:46   #5
dtr1001

Hello. I have had a similar problem...low power...limp mode then emissions light on. After going back and forward to the garage a few times decided to replace EGR and DPF. This came in at around £800 gulp. However my mpg improved from 60 combined to 70 with a (very light foot). Have a look at my thread in the v70 > 07 section to compare with your symptoms but I fear you might just have to bite the bullet. Good luck.
dtr1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 23:50   #6
cookie2520

I did ring volvo main for a quote on this service and they said £540. The garage i went to ive used for years and they said they could do the same service for £250. Like you said though the extras that volvo offer are probably the better option in the long run. Ill take it back tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully the garage i bought it from honour the statuary 3 month guarantee.......heres to hoping hahaha.
Ill let you know the outcome tomorrow.
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 23:58   #7
cookie2520

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtr1001 View Post
Hello. I have had a similar problem...low power...limp mode then emissions light on. After going back and forward to the garage a few times decided to replace EGR and DPF. This came in at around £800 gulp. However my mpg improved from 60 combined to 70 with a (very light foot). Have a look at my thread in the v70 > 07 section to compare with your symptoms but I fear you might just have to bite the bullet. Good luck.
the limp mode was solved with the service and i cant complain about my mpg im getting near 800 to a tank but i can feel impending doom with the DPF.....if id known about them before buying id have stayed petrol haha hopefully its a knocked sensor or something although its inevitable that ill have to change it soon 😭
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 12:36   #8
cookie2520

Update: garage carried out diagnostics and theres a hole in the air inlet pipe on the turbo. £140+ vat and it should be sorted.

Tags
emissions light v50, service, v50 1.6d