Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70R AWD, judder when pulling away/turning tightly

Views : 1354

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2015, 13:12   #1
Paffel
VOC Member

Default V70R AWD, judder when pulling away/turning tightly

Have picked up a V70R AWD auto, 165K, lovely machine, just a few things need sorting. Needs top engine mounts sorting - guessing the torque rod will also need looking at. Front and back bumpers ideally need a respray.

The one that's currently gauged my interest is a judder/vibration - seemingly from the rear - but only when pulling away with moderate throttle.

I can also repeat this if I turn more than about 60% lock, and give it any kind of throttle. Allowing the autobox to just drive forward with no throttle input doesn't make the judder.

The judder goes fairly quickly - getting above 8-10mph makes it disappear, doesn't go on for longer than a second, but it will vibrate several times in that period. Doesn't matter if hot or cold.

It feels like the rear - the vibration is in my backside, but it could be something from the front sending a vibration down. Previous owner had advised that the "previous previous owner" wasn't aware of the fragility of this system, and tyre tread depths were mismatched for a portion of its life.

Would like to keep it as AWD as long as possible, I'll remove the propshaft if I can't see anything else just to confirm it's something on the AWD system/rear drive that's causing it.
Anyone had similar? Might just save me an hour or two of exploratory surgery!

Previous; '98 V70XC, '97 V40 2.0, '94 855 T5,'02 S60 D5,'97 V70 AWD,'90 740 Turbo,'97 855 T5 Auto,99 V70 10V,'04 S80 D5,'99 V70R AWD
Paffel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 14:11   #2
Paffel
VOC Member

Ah, this guy has had very similar issues;

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=45039

Previous; '98 V70XC, '97 V40 2.0, '94 855 T5,'02 S60 D5,'97 V70 AWD,'90 740 Turbo,'97 855 T5 Auto,99 V70 10V,'04 S80 D5,'99 V70R AWD
Paffel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 16:31   #3
dustbug69
dustbug69

Hi Paffel.

Mines a year older and had the same problems,,,I bought a new centre bearing off ebay £40 then removed the prop shaft (im lucky as work at a bus company with pits) you can drive perfectly on just front wheel drive, I then took my propshaft and new bearing to BAR in Neath, they rebuilt it and fitted my bearing and a new CV joint cost £115+VAT cost from Volvo for a new shaft,...sit down now,,,,,£1100+VAT!!! ,

Refitted the drive shaft changed my Diff and Bevel gear oil and car drives superb no knocks etc,,,,to change the Diff you will need some form of suction pump again cheap of ebay as the only access is at the top! so you have to suck out the old stuff,.,.
dustbug69 is offline   Reply With Quote