Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

xc70 auto gearbox issue

Views : 482

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2015, 16:10   #1
neil lofthouse

Default xc70 auto gearbox issue

hello all

think this might be a bit more serious than my last post. re fuel flap thanks again
anyway this has happened to me twice now, when pulling away from a junction or just setting off i noticed that engine revs up without engageing any gears or it drops out very quickly, however if i lift off the throttle revs die back and all is good again.
car is XC70 52 plate 2.5 AWD with only 120k on the clock, got paperwork to prove it. it has excellent documented service history, serviced every year with approx 11k between services. only had car a couple of weeks so still finding out what previous owner has forgotten to mention !!!! ( yeah right )
any help or advice would be fantastic just hoping i don't have to involve main stealer's
regards

neil
neil lofthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 17:46   #2
oragex
Premier Member

Was it towing with the car?
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 17:53   #3
MV6Gaz
VOC Member

Check the software update has been done, read this thread for info:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=172033

Next port of call is the atf, plan on regular flushing, check level and condition frequently
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 00:34   #4
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default 2 things

1) Definitely do at least one drain and fill as it will provide you with a real look at your fluid.
Many people still operate under the stoned belief that the fluid in the transmission is never to be changed. It's simply not the reality of it.
If you keep reading, the names of 2 trannie additives will come up.
Don't add anything to dirty fluid. Get the fluid clean first. This could take 3, 4 or more drain & fills.

Before the wiser ones on this board come down on my head let me say I don't believe in "mechanics in a can" but there have been happy reports with some.

2) Ask at a dealer if there have been any downloads done to your car.
Read the invoices of the servicing if you have them.
If you speak to someone nice, ask if there ever was "Recall 122" in the UK.
It was a transmission reprogramming done free of charge here. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 05:18   #5
Symes
Master Member

As above, check the fluid carefully, it might have a red tinge to when wiped on a bit of paper, but look at a droplet; new fluid is a clean translucent cherry red colour, used is going to be brown of various shades depending on age and workload.

I've had two auto/geartronic boxes which were transformed by an atf flush (gibbons method) - make sure you use the correct specification fluid (JWS3309 if I recall correctly) which is becoming more widely available at reasonable prices at motor factors, I got mine from Vauxhall at about half the cost compared to Volvo.
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 21:57   #6
nickbw898

Could be a warning your electronic throttle module is on the blink. Take a mirror and sneak a look at it under your inlet manifold , what colour is the label. If white you have problems, or are in for them, if yellow you might be ok.