Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Egr removal

Views : 837

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2015, 20:45   #1
s40 man

Question Egr removal

Can any one help with my 1.9d egr I want to replace the gasket witch I have i losend the bolts of but it won't budge help please
s40 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 23:01   #2
kieran40
I've Been Banned

There's a guide on here somewhere there's two parts to the egr the outer and the inner the outer should come off easy the bit with the leccy plug, the inner is a bit tricky it gets stuck in the block, I used a block of wood and a hammer just tapped it back and forth and wriggled it out, it's not as difficult as you think when you do it once
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 23:11   #3
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by s40 man View Post
Can any one help with my 1.9d egr I want to replace the gasket witch I have i losend the bolts of but it won't budge help please
Firstly, there is a good guide in this forum:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108558

Secondly you will need a spare intake O ring AND metal EGR gasket. Also the 3 bolts that mount the EGR are supposed to be replaced IF you have the OEM hex heads fitted. So you might need those 3 bolts, in addition to the O ring and gasket.

If you don't want to risk damaging the EGR, I would also buy the Volvo EGR removal tool, or an equivalent (About 50 quid) hook spanner.
The Volvo dealers don't clean EGR's, they only replace them with new ones, although most seem to be OK if removed and cleaned correctly.

Rufe the Swansea Volvo dealer is probably the best place to get the parts.

Do you have any actual symptoms of a blocked EGR at present, as they can last a long time if you get some motorway WOT time in every month ??

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Jun 17th, 2015 at 23:14.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 23:18   #4
kieran40
I've Been Banned

You don't need a special tool skyship op put youre money in youre pocket lol, the tool is nice to have but a block of wood and a rubber hammer do the same job just aswell
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 23:47   #5
candor

Has anyone a pic and dimensions of the tool? It sounds like it might be easy to knock one up.
candor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 00:27   #6
happy diver
Active Member Moment

2" x 4" x 8"

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile

Last edited by happy diver; Jun 18th, 2015 at 00:31.
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 07:00   #7
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by candor View Post
Has anyone a pic and dimensions of the tool? It sounds like it might be easy to knock one up.
I agree, it should not be difficult. Just use the new EGR gasket as a template for the shape of the arc and the size of the 2 pins, then fit a handle etc.
They seem to be about a tenner on Fleabay, IF you can figure out which is the correct one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...er&_sacat=9800

That way you can hit the tool handle if it refuses to budge. Previous forum members have reported that some of them can be very difficult to remove and have finished up using either a pipe wrench or hammer and wood, both of which might damage the EGR.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Jun 18th, 2015 at 07:27.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 14:40   #8
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

My top tip would be to pour a kettle full of just boiled water over the bit of the intake manifold the EGR fits into. Pour it slowly over a minute or two to really give it a chance to warm up.

A pair of decent water pump pliers, something like this

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberg...FWT3wgoddBIAPQ

Are useful to rock it back and forth. You don't want flat jaws on the pliers as you need to engage the lugs where the bolts go to get enough grip. Gripping the round part won't be sufficient. I'm not sure whether a heavy duty filter wrench/strap might do it.

Volvo recommend spraying rust solvent on where it seizes but something like wd40 will help if that is all you have.

It'll take all your strength to move it at first but then just move it back and forth whilst trying to work it outwards at the same time. Start with small movements, maybe a mm back and forth.

Mine was an easy one but it wouldn't shift at all without the heat. If one kettle doesn't help, try a second!
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 15:02   #9
happy diver
Active Member Moment

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...96041959,d.dGc

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote