Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

location nr fuelpump relay in cem

Views : 13741

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2012, 16:30   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

You can get the terminals and plugs from the dealer , Poor connections here are not at all common , generaly the wiring and plugs on the engine components are good , The ford based engines have the poor quality wires ,.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 16:35   #22
5cilinder
Premier Member

This aint a ford based engine?

Just cut the wires beneath the damage and put an additional female/male connector with new wire in between? or is that messing up the resistance?
Or should a pull a new wire trough the kabeltree?

Seriously the wiring and the way the connectors are attached with angled stress on it looks "cheap and messy" to put it politly

Last edited by 5cilinder; Feb 16th, 2012 at 16:37.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 16:39   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
This aint a ford based engine?

Just cut the wires beneath the damage and put a female/male connector with new wire in between? or is that messing up the resistance?
Or should a pull a new wire trough the kabeltree?

Seriously the wiring and the way the connectors are attached with angled stress on it looks "cheap and messy" to put it politly
no yours isnt ford !

Someones messed up the loom? so the plugs are ok ... yes cut out the damage and insert new wire it will be ok . the only problem is vibration and if it is going to break it will be at the join you make , where as the original loom there has no joint to act as a weak spot . you could add a bit longer cable and tie it to something so that it wont shake around when the engine idles .
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 17:23   #24
5cilinder
Premier Member

Nobody messed it up just bad design i guess, like a few other things i noticed ;-)
If i replace some wires ,new connectors at the sensors wouldnt hurt
if i make the wire longer with more room to absorp stress with good connections it will be way better of than the state it is in now.
I will make a few pictures to show how it looks like

Any advice what kind of wire and connections to use? with shrink isolation?

Last edited by 5cilinder; Feb 16th, 2012 at 18:00.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 15:51   #25
5cilinder
Premier Member

Connectors can't be ordered by volvo only with a complete engine ;-)
Got a few from a bosch service center.
Replaced the connectors on the pump and fuelrail regulators.
Problem seem to be gone for the moment, ill keep the pressuremeter and a jerrycan on just in case.

You guys thanks for the thinking and advice
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 16:10   #26
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

i am really glad it is coming together for you and the car now gets over the niggles, will you be putting the RICA map back on.
mike
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 18:12   #27
5cilinder
Premier Member

I have a softlader from rica where i also have an in between remap
The original one has to much torque low end the milder remap is nearly as quick but slightly less torque .
So i keep this one on , if the clutch (Hopefully not)needs to be replaced then ill try maybe the other one ,on the other hand differences are minimal,but enough concerning the clutch.

In the meantime i was faultfinding with vida a few day's ago i also tried with the original software to do cillinderbalance test, this also failed again..
Slight high pitch humm when the test is tried, no faultcodes but a report it was done but no fuel correction value's
What did work was the callibration of the window wich shuts now without reopening and adjust 1 mm for good sealing now

I still want to get rid of the autolighting 0 position is lighting on, i couldnt find in vida how to shut it off
Also heard that with older volvo's ther was a small switch for it behind the dashboard

But most important for now is an engine dont cutting out dangerous when overtaking
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 19:45   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Connectors can't be ordered by volvo only with a complete engine ;-)
Got a few from a bosch service center.
Replaced the connectors on the pump and fuelrail regulators.
Problem seem to be gone for the moment, ill keep the pressuremeter and a jerrycan on just in case.

You guys thanks for the thinking and advice
Another parts man who doesnt know how to look up parts ,
Yes they are available , you dont get a loom with an engine ..!

eg
Pump high pressure control valve plug 8622454
repair terminal 30656691 x 2

That loom has been through the mll , never seen one like that before .. Has the engine been out before do you think? I see a jubilee clamp on a fuel pipe where volvo use crimp ones for safety ..
Glad you have sorted it anyway .
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 10:13   #29
5cilinder
Premier Member

@clan

A man of details ;-)
Youre right the jubileeclamp isnt original
I got a discount on the car because the engine sounded at idle like it had a valve leak, while compression was excellent .
But i was told from a trusted source (not the seller) that the 2005/2006 engines had a few with a bad batch hydraulic lifters
The good price and the good state the rest of the car was in (almost smelled new)
I was able to do replace the lifters , wich needs to remove the fuelpump from the intake camshaft and to get room i had to cut that clamp.

The state of the connectors is also a bit worse on picture because i peeled them open after the engine cutout to check them with a multimeter.

I see in your signature an old volvo not the kind of volvo you see much nowaday's You race with it?
How come you have so much knowledge of this engine? also have a d5?
Or technical profession?

What also is remarkeble is that there are alot of volvo's and knowledge of them in the UK , is that because the police uses them so much?
In holland they used them a lot decades ago the one in your signature was famous as a policecar in the 80ish they also build them under licence in holland
Now you see volvo's a bit less here because the police also uses al ot of other brand of cars and also the factory wich builded volvo's here is long closed
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 22:24   #30
MyMomDressedMe

Default Fuel Control Unit / Pump Electronic Module

I'm driving a 2006 Volvo V70. Just spent the whole day trying to figure out where the fuel pump relay is. Ended up calling a few Volvo dealerships. Nobody could tell me where the relay was. Finally on the 3rd call, I spoke with a service guy who I think knew what he was talking about. The guy didn't have to put me on hold or ask anybody else. Just told me there is no fuel pump relay on my 2006 model and the fuel pump is controlled by the FCU (aka PEM) as seen in the title. it should be located in front of the passenger rear tire, behind the plastic in the wheel well. Now to figuring out if this is the problem or the pump. Hope this helps others.
MyMomDressedMe is offline   Reply With Quote