Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 1.6D maintenance schedule

Views : 4663

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2015, 08:19   #11
sannesley

Hiw would I find out which engine I have?
sannesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 09:45   #12
steV50

If the label on the drivers door frame says 1.6L Power:109PS the car will have the 1.6D (D4164T) engine. The cars with this engine all have a 5 speed gearbox.
If the label says 115PS then it will have the D2 (D4162T) engine. All cars with this engine will have a six speed box.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steV50 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 19:47   #13
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sannesley View Post
Hiw would I find out which engine I have?
Or even easier, Do you have a 6th gear? If so, D2 and if not 1.6D.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 22:09   #14
sannesley

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
Or even easier, Do you have a 6th gear? If so, D2 and if not 1.6D.
simples. With only 70,000 miles I have a while to go before the timing belt need changed then

Last edited by sannesley; Jun 15th, 2015 at 22:14.
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 09:58   #15
julianps
Master Member

Quote:
I have a 2010 S40 1.6 diesel Drive with 70,500 miles. The trader who I bought it off quited a figure of 120,000 miles before changing the timing belt.
Volvo's service guide says 150,000 miles for the timing belt on the 1.6D but, critically, not more than 10 years use (irrespective of mileage). So, 150,000 miles, or 2020, whichever comes first.

If as I suspect yours has a "wet" PDF the fuel additive tank is topped up every 37,500 miles irrespective of the service interval and the DPF itself every 75,000 miles irrespective of the service interval. Given that high mileage users generally have clean DPF's and low mileage users less so this seems a counter-intuitive instruction, but that's what it says in ViDA/VADIS.

Sadly Volvo's prices for the DPF replacement do not reflect the fact that DPF prices have fallen and Volvo still indicated a price of more than £700 to do the job. Hopefully stealers are being a little more realistic in practice.

In a clear act of planned obsolescence, if a 1.6D hits 150,000 miles at the 10th anniversary it could need 'belts, pulleys, water pump, alternator and a/c compressor clutches, a DPF and fuel additive top-up all in one go ... (or, like most Citroen, Peugeot and Ford cars with the equivalent engine, selling on eBay 2,000 miles short ... ;-))
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 20:42   #16
sannesley

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianps View Post
If as I suspect yours has a "wet" PDF the fuel additive tank is topped up every 37,500 miles irrespective of the service interval and the DPF itself every 75,000 miles irrespective of the service interval. Given that high mileage users generally have clean DPF's and low mileage users less so this seems a counter-intuitive instruction, but that's what it says in ViDA/VADIS.
What's the consequences of not topping up the fuel additive tank or the DPF? Is the car likely to run badly? Is it a job an independent mechanic could do or would it require a costly trip to a dealer?
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 01:12   #17
iainmd

If the additive tank runs dry the dpf will block and the car will go into limp mode. You may well require a new dpf.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 08:59   #18
julianps
Master Member

Quote:
What's the consequences of not topping up the fuel additive tank or the DPF? Is the car likely to run badly? Is it a job an independent mechanic could do or would it require a costly trip to a dealer?
The "wet" system operates by having the DPF catch soot from the exhaust. Periodically the system adds 'additive to the mix to burn off that soot; sadly this leaves silt (though much less silt than soot). This additive burning process (regeneration) takes place when the vehicle travel at a constant speed over 60mph or can be forced by a main dealer during service.

The system keeps a track of the back-pressure caused by soot/silt and the number of additive doses consumed.

If the number of doses used gets to X% of consumption (or worse, runs out) the system will go into limp mode until a) the tank is refilled; and b) the dealer tells the system how many doses were added to the tank.

If the DPF gets to Y% back-pressure the system will go into limp mode until a) the DPF is replaced; and b) the dealer tells the system an empty DPF is installed and the system then calibrates actual back-pressure as 0%.

So, the risk is limp-home mode (or, as iainmd suggested, premature failure of the DPF) and, unless you've access to a computer with VIDA installed, only a main dealer can reset the system after refilling/replacement. For this reason alone general mechanics rarely interfere with these systems.

BTW, the functionality outlined here is approximate (others will add correction where I'm wrong) and the same principle is applied to this engine in all applications, from Ford, through PSA to Mini 1.6D

Last edited by julianps; Jun 17th, 2015 at 09:02.
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 10:42   #19
steV50

Also, the DPF should be replaced as part of the 75K mile service otherwise sooner or later it will fail.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 12:38   #20
sannesley

Are most modern vehicles on a wet PDF system? This sounds like a costly venture