Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery Change 2010 V70

Views : 1488

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2015, 18:30   #1
BakeliteMan

Default Battery Change 2010 V70

Hi,

I have a 'new to me' 2010 V70. I started the car half a dozen times in a row whilst checking repaired/cleaned key fobs ... and the battery died. It looks like the existing battery is the original, so I have ordered a replacement.

A simple question then .. is the radio coded in a 2010 V70 (can't find anything in the handbook), and are there any other battery changing issues beyond the obvious I should watch out for?

Thanks
Chris
BakeliteMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 19:44   #2
Austin160
Master Member

Default Battery change 2010 V70.

Couple of comments which might be useful to consider in conjunction with other replies you may have:-
Original battery failing in 5 years is in my opinion a bit out of the norm, and it might be worth having the alternator checked to ensure the battery is getting the correct charge. My experience points to it not being uncommon for the original battery to last 8+ years. You say the car is new to you, and it might just be that the suspect battery on it when you bought it might just have been swopped for the serviceable original one.
This might lead to some concerns, since a car of this year might (and I am not too certain if this) have a battery the technology of which must match the "intelligent" alternator charging system. If this is the case, then fitting a battery of the older technology can result in rapid ill effects on the alternator - at great cost. If I am correct with this, and some nice person has swopped the original for an older type, and you are now going to replace it with a similar new one, you could just find yourself in trouble.
Not wishing to cause undue concern, but my best advise would be to take advice before doing anything.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Austin160 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 20:36   #3
marlboro

Replaced battery on my 2004 V70R.
Checked date code and previous Bosch only lasted 2 years.

Battery life is dependant on how the car has been used and how it has been charged.
Lead Acid batteries struggle to recover if too deeply discharged.

I use an Optimate 6 trickle charger now and again as my mileage is low.

Fit the new battery.
Should be about 12.5 - 13v.
Start car check for about 14.4V

The radio in my 2004 model is not coded.
Not sure about 2010.

B

Last edited by marlboro; Mar 26th, 2015 at 22:37.
marlboro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marlboro For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 22:47   #4
Premier Member

I would be surprised if the battery is shot at 5 years old, I would charge it and use the car normally for a week or two and see what it is like.
If you do need to change it:
The radio will not be coded.
When changing the battery, switch off the ignition and wait at least 10 minutes for all the electrical systems on the car to shut down before disconnecting the old battery.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 60041 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 01:06   #5
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

starting the car 'half a dozen times in a row' can flatten the battery because you are drawing power each time you start the car and not giving it enough time to put the charge back in.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty Dolomite For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 07:24   #6
Austin160
Master Member

Default Battery change 2010 V70

Personally I would normally have expected the battery originally fitted to a 5 year old car to still be capable of starting a car a few times. Some cars may just take a few turns to start anyway, so following on from that it is unlikely that a serviceable battery would fail to perform that task.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Austin160 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 08:51   #7
BakeliteMan

Many thanks for your replies.

I certainly have no great affection for the dealers I bought the car from (that’s another story!) but I am happy the battery is the original. I have checked that the replacement I have ordered is correct for the car specification and slightly better rated.

Whilst the car is five years old, it has only done 33000 miles. I am not sure what this might imply in terms of the battery loading. The car is an SE LUX with electric everything, which I am sure does not help.

I certainly think there is still some life in the existing battery and since being recharged it has functioned OK. I am sure that the repeated starting of the car engine drained the battery, but I do feel that a health battery should have coped with the loading. My previous experience of questionable batteries is that they always let you down at the most inconvenient times!

Thank you for letting me know there is no radio code. I was concerned that in changing the battery I might lose the radio – you know how it goes, you fix one thing and break something else in the process!

Thanks
Chris
BakeliteMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 10:25   #8
GMcL
0's and 1's

I would lift the battery and check underneath for leaks.

I was getting Low Battery warnings on my S60. I checked the battery which would vary between 12.5 and 12v cold. I took the battery out, the battery tray was wet, the battery was leaking.

The battery was a genuine Volvo battery and less than four years old when it started firing off Low Battery warnings.

This was on my 2011 S60, my 2005 D5 was still on the original factory battery at 9 years when I sold the car.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Mar 27th, 2015 at 11:53.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 11:41   #9
tdi

It's not uncommon for these p3 v70s to drain the battery. There is so many more modules than a P2. A boss at work has had a new battery already and his p3 is a 2012 model. I scanned it with my vida and I was amazed how many modules were on it, I thought my S60R had a few but not so many as that.
tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdi For This Useful Post: