Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 brake failure help

Views : 943

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2015, 18:02   #1
bookerbill
Trader

Default 240 brake failure help

hi chaps picked up volvo 240 saloon today 2.1 manual , car had been laid up for a while , driving home brakes went pedal to floor anyway got home found brake fluid had squirted over exhaust hense smell whilst driving , not much fluid out of brake res, plenty left in , just started car brakes fine , braking fine , i did feel brakes binding whilst driving home , any ideas welcome , i know they can fail [ servo + master cylinder at any time and then be fine for a while ????? plus if i need a servo or master will to buy new
bookerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 22:21   #2
coaster22

What year is it ? Would suspect rubber seals, is there fluid down the back of the Master cylinder as it attaches to the servo ? Big seal in master cylinder can flip if it's been laid up. Might also say hoses or other seals but the m/ cylinder seal is above aghast area. Cheers
coaster22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 22:29   #3
bookerbill
Trader

Default hi

its a 1984 year ; no fluid down back of master cylinder, when i opened bonnet it looked like it has squirted over exhuast manifold , plus plenty of fluid in res/ just drove car before brakes appear to be working fine , plus i did feel the brakes binding whilst i was driving home . plus no fluid leak from any of wheels etc

Last edited by bookerbill; Mar 12th, 2015 at 22:33.
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 22:50   #4
Tramp

Obviously my situation was different to yours but when I picked up my 84' 244 on the way home the brakes did exactly the same, foot to the floor and nothing there, I limped home, and by the time I arrived at home they were working again, I investigated the front calipers first as they were smoking hot, both my front calipers were siezed I exercised the cylinders in both calipers and replaced the seals, I also had to change the brake lines as the drivers side cylinders would not return back (I think the brake hose had failed internally) after a change of brake fluid we were up and running and I've not had any issues since,
Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 08:55   #5
bookerbill
Trader

Default hi

hello many thanks for you info; when weather clears up i will strip brakes either side and replace as i find , plus i will replace brake master just in case its been damaged , many thanks again .
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 10:19   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I think it's important to try and see exactly where the fluid has leaked from.

Master cylinder seals can fail, but the effect is usually internal - ie fluid bypasses the seal, but no pressure is transmitted, so brakes fail to work.
It can only leak externally past the operating rod into the servo, or leak out at the joint between the two.
Or at one of the pipe unions to the MC.

Another thought is what happens if a caliper gets so hot that it boils the fluid and bubbles it back to the MC and out of the cap? Then when it cools down everything would work again, as long as there was still enough fluid left.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote