Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Caravan advert enquiries for private sales.

Views : 518

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 02:30   #1
c_lee
VOC26332

Arrow Caravan advert enquiries for private sales.

We are thinking that sometime this year we might change our caravan if we find a suitable private sale that is not too far away for a good assessment with more than one visit before buying.

Or even a dealer sale for the right caravan within our price range.

We have had our current caravan about 4 years now and are regular users doing about 60 - 70 nights away each year.

That though is likely to increase this year.

The change is not urgent, but we would like one with a full width end washroom and bigger fridge / freezer compartment.

On making initial PM inquiries of several private sale caravans over the past month or so the question I ask is whether the caravan is CRIS registered in the sellers name and at their address.

That is actually the only initial question I ask as it is a deal breaker for me should that registration not be present.

I find it quite amazing that often there is no reply to that question and that says a lot in my mind.

Sometimes there have been replies - usually soon before the sale ends, despite an early inquiry.

But selling for a friend without internet access, couldn't bother to re-register with CRIS doesn't cut it with me I'm afraid.

Limited time to make a full inspection and further investigations on a model is also a deal breaker.

I think it is going to be a real PITA to find a replacement private sale caravan of good title and of the spec we expect.

I should add we are not looking for a newish caravan and are budget restricted, though not severely.

Required spec are :

Absolutely max shipping length 6.4 metres. That's the space we have to store at home.
Max all up weight no greater than about 1400 Kg though a little flexibility there.
Full width end washroom with separate shower area that is not over the toilet area.
Bigger than Electrolux 212 fridge.
Probably 2 berth but definitely long single bunks at the front.
Definitely no L shaped lounge area.
Absolutely no joints in the roof apart from roof vents.
Full oven and 4 ring hob.

If you are not too far away from me ( say 40 - 50 miles ) and thinking of part ex-ing your caravan with the above spec please PM me.

We are on a budget.

I don't believe in investing too much in a depreciating asset that is often prone to damp problems as they age - despite our regular use.

That budget could be up to, say about, £3,000 for our perfect caravan.
I know it would quite a few years old but that doesn't bother us subject to extensive inspection and no damp.

But it could be as little as £1,500 for a caravan that would suit with some limitations and similar inspections.

Be prepared for extensive eMail inquiries even before we came to look unless you are very near to us.

And of course, valid CRIS results are essential.

We expect to sell our Lunar Clubman once we have found a suitable replacement.

Colin
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 07:18   #2
Steamdrivenandy

Location: on the edge of North Staffs, south of Crewe, looking out over Cheshire in awe and wonder

I'm not sure what the % take up of CRIS registration is at different ages of van, but I suspect relatively few people bother with a van of the age you're thinking of. Don't forget that CRIS isn't mandatory, even for new vans and imports aren't registered as a matter of course. By rejecting non-CRIS registered vans you will probably be severely limiting the pool of potentially ideal vans. At the sort of age of van you are talking about condition is everything and that is hard to assess without a visit.