Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 621373

Replies : 2693

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2015, 19:08   #1
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcp View Post
Well, having had both the EGR valve and cooler replaced last week, the tortoise appeared twice on a short run locally this morning, starting the engine from cold. Oddly, it always appeared when stop/start kicked in. Switching s/s off made it disappear after a few seconds of engine idle.....
This is weird. My tortoise makes celebrity appearances in a completely random way too. I am quite bemused by it.

My own dealer is clear that they replaced the EGR valve and cooler on the first visit about a fortnight ago. The tortoise re-appeared and that's not what they were expecting.

They are now suspecting something else (cooling pump) and are trying to get to the bottom of it in dialogue with Volvo.

My mpg is now close to rock bottom - we are averaging 31.9mpg (albeit that Mrs A is now not taking the XC60 out of town). But really? Other than that the car runs fine.

I foresee the day coming when someone will do what my Alfa dealer did all those years ago. They snipped the wire to the LED display - Volvo will shoot the tortoise!

Arianne
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 20:09   #2
Flux
Premier Member

Think there must be something other than EGR valve issue then if the warnings still show even after a replacement.

Still awaiting contact from my dealer for new parts that were ordered on 29.01.2015.
Old Feb 27th, 2015, 06:58   #3
stoneroses

Volvo v60 2014 PLATE, 25K Miles

Light has come on and the tortoise made an appearance.

Volvo assistance were utterly useless, taking in to the dealer myself today.

Really annoyed with all this, as the dealer has told me there is a 2 week lead time for Volvo to get the parts, let alone get them to the dealers in UK, even then I am number 13 in the list.

Would be far easier if they just recalled them all.
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stoneroses For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2015, 10:01   #4
Flux
Premier Member

Two weeks, you'll be lucky (I think) as EGR & cooler for mine has been on back order since 29.01.15 and still not arrived with dealer. Only spoke to them yesterday about this.
Old Feb 27th, 2015, 10:03   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

How would doing a recall get the parts any quicker? It would actually put many weeks delay into the process whilst they order enough parts, get them to do dealers, then inform all the owners and dealers sort out repair slots.

And remember, there is no proof that the EGR or cooler are the root cause yet.
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 19:08   #6
donnieban

V60 D4 64 plate amber check engine warning light reset twice within about 3 hrs and subsequent limp mode on the 1 day that we needed reliability - heading to airport on hols....

9 months old and nearly 13000 miles.

Volvo courtesy (Taggarts) nil points.
donnieban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 21:55   #7
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieban View Post
V60 D4 64 plate amber check engine warning light reset twice within about 3 hrs and subsequent limp mode on the 1 day that we needed reliability - heading to airport on hols....

..........this post sums up the problem perfectly. Volvo should ooze reliability. The egr issues risk killing that brand value. However, for the time being my xc60 is fabulous since the last Clelands fix. Arianne.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 08:45   #8
Harvey1512
Premier Member

My engine warning light has just come on again. My EGR etc was changed around 12,000 miles and I have now done 19,100. It will be very disappointing if this is happening a second time. Even more irritatiing as in the next two weeks I have some major miles to do and do not want to be worrying about my car or have to do them in a courtesy V40 rather than my chunky mile munching XC60.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 09:58   #9
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
My engine warning light has just come on again. My EGR etc was changed around 12,000 miles and I have now done 19,100. It will be very disappointing if this is happening a second time. Even more irritatiing as in the next two weeks I have some major miles to do and do not want to be worrying about my car or have to do them in a courtesy V40 rather than my chunky mile munching XC60.
We need to start making Volvo pay attention, get your car booked in ASAP call Volvo assist to come out and do a check they will get it booked in the next day for you, and make sure they give you an equivalent courtesy car. With my V40 the courtesy car was a fully loaded Mitsibushi ASX the second an alright Vauxhall Insignia, I also had my fuel paid for in the form of a cheque from Volvo HQ on the second fault, fuel was not covered the first time.

It's not acceptable to have this happen twice, my colleague has had his brand new BMW 340 touring arrive with a broken sunroof, he has had a fully loaded BMW X5 3.0 m sport this weekend for his holiday in Cornwall, and will have an M3 next week as a courtesy car for his journey to the lakes. It's all well and good being given a nice car but all he wants is his 340.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc01 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 11:55   #10
donnieban

Default Here we EGR go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieban View Post

Well my D4 has gone into limp mode again, 7,000 miles since the last fault, with a total of 20,000 miles on the clock.

Time for it to go, its a lease and I am going to have to buy out.

Used XC 60 or 70 D5 here I come.
donnieban is offline   Reply With Quote