Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wiper fuse blowing when ignition switched on

Views : 1122

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2015, 12:54   #1
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Default Wiper fuse blowing when ignition switched on

Hi all, I am posting some information here hopefully to help others because I found really VERY little regarding this matter after scouring the internet for some time.

Vehicle is a 2000 V70 classic. Wipers had started to loose functions and it was put down to the stalk probably being worn however on Friday night they were switched off and several minutes later when turned on they didn't come on. No scooshers, horn etc. so fuse #34.

On Saturday I went out and checked the fuse and right enough it was blown. Stick in a new fuse and it immediately pops, ignition was on but the stalk was at 0. So I turned off the ignition and put in another, turned on the ignition and pop. OK we have something not right here. Decided to take the stalk off first (it was cold and this meant I could sit in the car) as it is arguably the start of the system, at least logically speaking, assuming the wiring is fine. Took it off complete and put in another fuse - pop.

Gave up on the stalk there deciding it was possibly motor related and the system didn't need to be on at the stalk because the motor would still have a live feed if it wasn't parked.

Last night I started disconnecting things to see what it could be. First up I pulled the relay. Which is the big red one which is up above the pedals, you must take the lower dash panel off with a single torx and then sort of gently pry and pull it off.

20150119_194033.jpg

With the relay out I put in a new fuse, it popped, which was quite telling actually because with no relay there really is not much chance of it being control circuitry. I then pulled the headlight wiper motor connections, which are the dark red connectors up above the headlight cluster, fuse still popped.

20150119_194522.jpg
20150119_194539.jpg

So it was time to take the scuttle off. This is very easy, undo the nuts from the wipers and I was lucky that mine just pulled off with some wiggling. The blade pushes down onto the windscreen making the wiper arm sit at an angle to the boss, so it's best to hold the blade up and pull it straight off and it should come right off. Then undo about 4-6 torx screws at various points along the scuttle, on mine some were buried by leaves. Remove the two drain pipe clips and pull them off. Then just pull it towards the front of the car as you lift it at the front so it clears the wiper bosses.

20150119_194832.jpg
20150119_195122.jpg
20150119_195334.jpg
20150119_195343.jpg
20150119_195947.jpg
20150119_195959.jpg

I disconnected the wiper motor and put in a fuse - all good. Excellent. Removed the wiper assembly (2 x 10mm bolts) and figured out the wiring and powered it up with a 12V supply, motor runs a treat. I then laid it on the engine and plugged it back in, turned on the ignition and the system automatically parked and the fuse stayed OK. Switched them on and within about 3 seconds the fuse popped.

At this point I removed the black section of the gear housing and cleaned up the contact plate, I found a spark eroded section of the track (18:00 position) that rough edge really doesn't look in good order - it's full of blackened grease, all that could make grease in here black would be carbon from arcing, so my thoughts are that the damaged section you can see has possibly worn so far through that it may be a dead short onto the gearbox casing, to be honest I didn't meter that out but I was getting dead short across all the terminals when the wipers are in the "parked" position - about 1 ohm resistance. Not good.

20150119_211151.jpg

I have decided this is the culprit and have ordered a second hand one off ebay. I will update this post tomorrow night assuming the part comes tomorrow.

Anyway, lots of photos to help people out here.

Last edited by TDIvolvo; Jan 20th, 2015 at 14:07. Reason: double word
TDIvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TDIvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 17:14   #2
TDIvolvo
Master Member

OK - new wiper assembly arrived here today, very pleased with the eBay based Volvo breaker.

I will fit it tonight and fingers crossed that's us as the MOT is tomorrow/Friday.

Anyway, look at this.

Old:

20150119_211151.jpg

New:

20150121_123140.jpg

Quite clearly the huge hole in the contact plate is not meant to be there, also note how clean the grease is - the grease in the old one is badly contaminated with carbon dust.

The unit itself looks as you would expect for a part from a 1998 car, but the contact pads and the plate looks as though it has had about a 1/3 of the use put on it as the one I removed.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 17:57   #3
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Well that's it fixed.

Got it installed last night, I forgot to note which side the long arm goes on and which side the short arm goes on, quickly worked it out from the wipe pattern on the windscreen.

Hardest part of the whole exercise was replacing the scuttle.

In the end this was the best way to do it: Line it up on the passenger side first and slot it under the strip at the base of the windscreen and put in loosely two screws, the drivers side is more complicated because the fuse box sits quite high and stops the scuttle from just sliding in. Once you have it locked in place on the passenger side you can then pull from about 2/3 of the way over to the end section and pull it towards the front of the vehicle and get the top of the scuttle to slip under the strip. at this point it should all slot in but will sit jammed high on top of the fuse box, a swift bang with your hand should then shock it down the back. Sounds a bit brute force but it just needs a bit of a jolt to drop it down. Wiggle it all around until it sits bang on and do up the screws. I took the opportunity to give the whole scuttle and under the scuttle area a good clean and spray with silicone.

With the bonnet on full access mode (straight up) you can line the blades up easier.

I need a wiper stalk though as my position 1 needs convinced before it will work, 2 and int are fine.

Last edited by TDIvolvo; Jan 22nd, 2015 at 18:01.

Tags
blown, failed, front, fuse, wipers