Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Correct Size for Torslanda

Views : 1018

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2015, 10:43   #1
Angie
Premier Member

Default Correct Size for Torslanda

Whenever I need new tyres I'm told that they are an unusual size (185/80R/14/91T) and there isn't much choice. The garage have fitted some with the - somewhat doubtful! - name of 'Goodride', and to be fair I don't have any particular complaints about them and they are very reasonably priced. I wonder if that is the original size or if they've just copied the tyres that were on the car previously. It would be nice to think that some slightly higher quality tyres might be available. 'Goodride' have varying reviews, though in general people seem to think they're good value, so perhaps I needn't be bothered anyway.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 12:35   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Yes that is the correct size for the Torslanda. When I got my '92 SE with the same 14" Scorpius wheels I did find they seemed to make the car feel rather over geared but good for fast cruising. Replaced by 195x60x15 on Virgos, which are actually smaller in diameter overall. Made the car feel livelier and on some local hills I was able to stay on 3rd rather than having to change into 2nd.
No knowledge of the "Goodrides". Mine were "Runways" so likely a similar budget tyre. You pays your money, you makes your choice.........
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 12:54   #3
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

The tyre size you quote Angie is correct. They are a little 'odd-ball' size, but its to make up for the 'small wheel' I think.

Years back, I replaced two on my Torslanda . Booked by phone, and once given the size the bloke asked if it was for a truck!

They do seem to be disappearing from tyre depots... or can be a special order.

I just put 4 on my GL (same sizes)... Nankangs ( shock, horror, lol) . I got them from Oponeo France. They have a .co.uk side too. Google it, they had quite a choice when I got mine. Keep in mind for future purchases.

There are other sites, blackcircles being one. They have affiliated fitters too, you just search on your post code. You can have home delivery or straight to the fitter. Should be cheaper too, with a bit of luck.

Hope this helps & good look.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/

Last edited by Paul240480; Jan 20th, 2015 at 12:59.
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 13:10   #4
Beetledrive

The truck comment reminded me that when I was looking for tyres I found it was possible to find commercial tyres in that size. I then checked and realised that the previous owner had in fact fitted commercial tyres on the back of the car! I also found a few sites suggesting this might compromise the insurance so I had them changed, making sure they were passenger tyres. It did seem to handle to better afterwards, but perhaps that was the new tread.
Beetledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 13:38   #5
Angie
Premier Member

Thanks everyone, two new (Goodride) tyres tomorrow, less than £100 fitted, so not too bad. Our local garage must have good contacts because they phoned their usual supplier who had some of the correct size in stock. Must get the tracking checked now so the tyres last a bit longer. One of those jobs I keep 'meaning to get around to'! Unfortunately the garage doesn't do it any more so have to get to a tyre place.

Interesting about the bigger wheels being smaller over all, I hadn't realised that. Guess that would alter speedometer readings as well as giving better acceleration. I do like the big fat tyres, the car cruises really smoothly but yes, could do with a bit more 'oomph' on some of our Cornish hills.

They might be old, but whatever the wheels/tyres these cars are still wonderful mile-munchers, the only car I've ever been in that I haven't wanted to get out of at the end of a long journey.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 13:54   #6
CaptainAhab
Spanner ex machina

I put Firestone Mulithawk 185/70 R14s on mine a while ago and they are excellent, great grip in the wet. That said, the last batch were some sort of remould ditch-finder specials from the previous owners, so anythings an improvement!

Speedo is a reading a bit high, so that isn't the size that was on it originally. Easy speedo fix from Dave Barton:

http://www.davebarton.com/volvo240mods.html