Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

fan problem

Views : 1770

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 25th, 2014, 14:44   #11
Kellaway

I've been experiencing overheating with the 240 so wondering about hosing the radiator core as suggested by Brian. We have the standard viscous fan and I've swapped fans from the one that doesn't overheat to the one that does with no effect.
Also removed the thermostat, a no-no I understand, and made no difference but as a test it's worth doing to save the cost of an unnecessary replacement.
Was having slight leakage in the air intake causing over revving and lean mixture, but found holes rubbed on the bottom of the concertina inlet tube and temporarily repaired these with two kinds of tape. Lean mix would cause overheating and over revving, but now no over revving and I pulled a plug to find a nice grey so I think I've cured the lean burn. Is there anywhere a mixture adjustment?
Still over heating. Checked ignition timimg and it's running exactly where the other car is, 10degrees btdc so I'm leaving that as it is.
Flushed radiator and later engine, no apparent pressure buildup and clean water coming through. Still overheating.
Tomorrow the water pump must be removed and hoping to find a fault in there.
From there if no fault is seen I will be flumoxed. Am I missing something here? The car didn't overheat before it came here so something has changed.
Further clues welcome.
I just replaced plugs, dizzy cap, rotor button and leads to correct poor early morning starts. Seems I'm needing to clean starter connection of positive lead as sometimes when warm it refuses to do a thing on the starter key.
Desperately trying to get this car worthy of the road.
Kellaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2014, 20:57   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellaway View Post
I've been experiencing overheating with the 240 so wondering about hosing the radiator core as suggested by Brian. We have the standard viscous fan and I've swapped fans from the one that doesn't overheat to the one that does with no effect.
Also removed the thermostat, a no-no I understand, and made no difference but as a test it's worth doing to save the cost of an unnecessary replacement.
Was having slight leakage in the air intake causing over revving and lean mixture, but found holes rubbed on the bottom of the concertina inlet tube and temporarily repaired these with two kinds of tape. Lean mix would cause overheating and over revving, but now no over revving and I pulled a plug to find a nice grey so I think I've cured the lean burn. Is there anywhere a mixture adjustment?
Still over heating. Checked ignition timimg and it's running exactly where the other car is, 10degrees btdc so I'm leaving that as it is.
Flushed radiator and later engine, no apparent pressure buildup and clean water coming through. Still overheating.
Tomorrow the water pump must be removed and hoping to find a fault in there.
From there if no fault is seen I will be flumoxed. Am I missing something here? The car didn't overheat before it came here so something has changed.
Further clues welcome.
I just replaced plugs, dizzy cap, rotor button and leads to correct poor early morning starts. Seems I'm needing to clean starter connection of positive lead as sometimes when warm it refuses to do a thing on the starter key.
Desperately trying to get this car worthy of the road.
Typical of the radiator furred up , if the faster you go the hotter it gets then goes down a bit when you slow down .. When it is next " Overheating" see if you can feel the radiator core just after turning off , it will probably be cold ...

Are there any outward signs of actulay overheating? Pressure blowing the coolant out? If all calm suspect the sender or gauge ..
Old Dec 26th, 2014, 00:22   #13
Kellaway

Thankyou so much guys.
It was indeed furry radiator syndrome. After taking it right out and treating with degreaser and then high pressure hose it is finally running too cold without the thermostat, so last step will be to refit that when it stops raining.
You might have no idea how good this makes me feel. Boxing Day Bliss in fact, because now I can stop working on the bloody thing and my son can drive it home running properly. It's been a huge job getting the car to this stage, with brake pads, booster, new tie rod, wheel bearing adjustments, timing belt, bottom engine seal, auto transmission service, speedo repair and multiple swaps of instruments in the cluster, fuel pump relay,windscreen sealing, new fusebox cover that didn't fit, brake light repairs, new leads, plugs, dizzy cap and rotor and a host of fiddling with door handles and various body parts and a bottom ball joint and other things I forget. And then rego, really a massive effort and a lot of money. It's still a crappy car but hoping it will last and be somewhat reliable now.
Kellaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 18:33   #14
andythepandy

Wow should have checked on this thread sooner but been pretty busy with Volvo related things. Thanks for all the responses. In the end I replaced the fan with an electric fan and replaced the radiator, its made a heck of a difference.
andythepandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 19:03   #15
Beetledrive

I've recently replaced my fan too after realising the coil spring was snapped and the whole thing had seized. The Volvo units sounded very expensive so I found these very reasonable units on German ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-Ware-Srl...item3a9e19f87f

Not genuine I know but I've been very happy so far, and amazingly all four 10mm bolts came off when I seperated the plastic fan (which I re-used) from the old clutch.

Beetledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 22:46   #16
Fancourt

The cold start roar from my fan has gone altogether - sounds weirdly quiet - and I've noticed the engine is taking an age to warm up. What's up with it?
Fancourt is offline   Reply With Quote