Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ebay-57.000 miles

Views : 5718

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2014, 12:49   #51
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
Why would I go and view it when you're sitting there and already know what's wrong with it? Why not tell us? Come on, expand on your capital honest opinion.
Doors would not open at first, i had to really pull on them as the door seals were full of moss and green slime,when they did open the actual door rubbers came away, it stunk of damp,when i looked underneath you could tell that it had been standing in a field for a couple of years it looked worse than a 4x4 that had just been off roading.The full exhaust deffo needed replacing and the actual engine bay was as if it had been left with the bonnet left open,The engine mountings had perished and the engine would not tick over at all,you just had to keep your foot on the exelerator but the engine just bounced all over the place and would not idle at all,none of the windows would open due to the mold.In my honest opinion the car was only fit for breaking, i have saved a few 7/900's from the scrap yard,but this was beyond saving unless you wanted to do a full resto on it,and i do mean a full resto on it.I had agreed a price with him on the phone for the car and had even arranged for its collection, he kept pushing me on the phone for a deposit but as it did not finish on ebay untill Monday 8th Sep and i was going to see it on Sat 6th i told him that there was no need for a deposit,The car looked like it had been dragged out of a field.And i did point out to him that the pictures were the same as the ones that had appeared in car and classic in 2012. Do you not think that if the car was in the same condition as the pictures,then it would of sold? This is the 3rd time it has now been on ebay, he says the last winner did not turn up, I bet he did and got the shock of his life, also, if it was a case of the last winner not turning up,then why id he not make a second chance offer to the next person? The car in my Honest opinion was a breaker.
mrmeringo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrmeringo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 12:52   #52
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

This is the original message i sent him thru ebay and he would not reply to it-

Dear debbiebeaven,

Why is this car car not in the spares or repair section?,I drove a 260mile and £60 in petrol,round trip to buy this load of scrap,and u know it is scrap,The car is nothing like the pictures at all! It was withdrawn from ebay on the 6th Sep, by Jason (yes,u know Jason) Jason withdraw it on my advice.Why have you not put a proper description of the car and the real pictures of how it is? I have reported this to ebay and they will see from the last listing that you are misleading ebayers into buying this car,You know it should be listed as spares or repair,and for you saying you have donethe dvla search on the last MoTs, They are the ones i gave to Jason. Please stop misleading people over this car,As you know (or should know) ebay can read this message.If you have nothing to hide about this car,then put this question on the listing.One way or the other ebay WILL remove it. Try relisting it with a proper description,Jason even said that the fella before me had only offered scrap value!!!!!

- mrmeringo
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 13:03   #53
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
I have bought the odd bits and pieces off mrmeringo over the years and have always found him very accurate in his descriptions and helpful. If he says it was crap and only fit for breaking when he saw it I would steer well clear of it. That's enough of a description for me!

Clearly some 'unknown' people have show an interest in it (who knows if they viewed it) as the matter is now closed and it sold for £815 a week or so ago. I wonder if it was actually sold (we shall never know unless the new owner pops up on here), or it comes up for sale in the future.
Its back on AGAIN Bob
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1514907531...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The Following User Says Thank You to mrmeringo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 13:06   #54
mrdave2003
Premier Member

Ah, so it IS the same one - looks ok in these picstures
mrdave2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 13:22   #55
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

I'm sure Tommy won't mind, but he and I had quite a few discussions about this car - before and after he viewed it (after driving many miles as he was clearly misled by the seller when they spoke on the phone).

No doubts in my mind that this car is a"shed"...now some potential buyers may have low expectations and will by the car and be perfectly happy - who knows?

The problem is always with descriptions...like good condition for the year, it's either in good, excellent or otherwise - irrespective of the year.

This car has been around a while and not sold - for a reason.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 16:25   #56
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmeringo View Post
Surprise, surprise!! Can't think why I expected that. Maybe someone else near at hand would like to go and have a look at it and let us all have the benefit of a second opinion. As far as I am concerned I shan't waste anymore time on the matter, and just hope nobody gets conned.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 18:23   #57
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
I'm sure Tommy won't mind, but he and I had quite a few discussions about this car - before and after he viewed it (after driving many miles as he was clearly misled by the seller when they spoke on the phone).

No doubts in my mind that this car is a"shed"...now some potential buyers may have low expectations and will by the car and be perfectly happy - who knows?

The problem is always with descriptions...like good condition for the year, it's either in good, excellent or otherwise - irrespective of the year.

This car has been around a while and not sold - for a reason.

Jon.
Many thanks Jon,
As you know,it was supposed to of sold for £815 on 16th Nov,he is saying the winner never got in touch, the second highest bid was £805 so why did he not make a second chance offer which is the normal thing to do, And yourself and other members on here have seen the message i sent the seller regarding the car,i told him the truth about the car being scrap and he was misleading people,but he would not answer me at all,if he had nothing to hide he would of answered me but he knows i was telling the truth. If the car had of been in the condition he says and only have 57k on it, then it would of sold first time around and not keep appearing on ebay and gumtree. Tommy.
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 20:10   #58
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

FWIW a couple of days ago I sent the *seller* a msg via ebay to say that they should visit our website here and see what was being written about their car.

I think I included a link to this topic.

I said I had no opinion either way, but there was clearly some differences in interpretation about the car.

The ebayer indicated they'd only recently purchased it and would certainly be doing that, so as to put the story straight.

To date, however, no straightening of the story has taken place.

It could perhaps be that the ebayer is hoping that the volvo won't be purchased by a club member, which is, I would have thought, rather unlikely.

Perhaps that's not the case, however, without hearing their side of the story I guess we'll never know.

Oh well, let's see how many times it gets relisted.

P.S. Don't read into this I doubt mrmeringo's comments, why would he need to lie since we all prefer to see a Volvo saved, rather than scrapped.

Last edited by CharlesStevenson; Nov 28th, 2014 at 20:12.
CharlesStevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 00:46   #59
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesStevenson View Post
FWIW a couple of days ago I sent the *seller* a msg via ebay to say that they should visit our website here and see what was being written about their car.

I think I included a link to this topic.

I said I had no opinion either way, but there was clearly some differences in interpretation about the car.

The ebayer indicated they'd only recently purchased it and would certainly be doing that, so as to put the story straight.

To date, however, no straightening of the story has taken place.

It could perhaps be that the ebayer is hoping that the volvo won't be purchased by a club member, which is, I would have thought, rather unlikely.

Perhaps that's not the case, however, without hearing their side of the story I guess we'll never know.

Oh well, let's see how many times it gets relisted.

P.S. Don't read into this I doubt mrmeringo's comments, why would he need to lie since we all prefer to see a Volvo saved, rather than scrapped.
FWIW, If he never had the decency to answer this genuine mesage I sent him thru ebay on 11th Nov,what makes or thinkhe will answer now?

Dear debbiebeaven,

Why is this car car not in the spares or repair section?,I drove a 260mile and £60 in petrol,round trip to buy this load of scrap,and u know it is scrap,The car is nothing like the pictures at all! It was withdrawn from ebay on the 6th Sep, by Jason (yes,u know Jason) Jason withdraw it on my advice.Why have you not put a proper description of the car and the real pictures of how it is? I have reported this to ebay and they will see from the last listing that you are misleading ebayers into buying this car,You know it should be listed as spares or repair,and for you saying you have donethe dvla search on the last MoTs, They are the ones i gave to Jason. Please stop misleading people over this car,As you know (or should know) ebay can read this message.If you have nothing to hide about this car,then put this question on the listing.One way or the other ebay WILL remove it. Try relisting it with a proper description,Jason even said that the fella before me had only offered scrap value!!!!!

- mrmeringo
I think we are ALL fed up with this thread now,so lets just move on. I forone,have now got nothing more to say about it.i spoke the truth and thats all.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrmeringo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 16:33   #60
bob12
bob12

I reckon the originator of this thread deserves to be nominated, if nothing else for the thread being one of the threads with the most hits in recent times under the category of 'VOC Forum Sales'. Of course I haven't checked the statistics .... I shall leave that for someone else to do
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote