Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie - to XC90 & Volvo's

Views : 1409

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2014, 00:02   #1
ZER0

Default Newbie - to XC90 & Volvo's

Hi guys and girls.

I'm looking at getting an XC90 in the next few months. I've tried searching, but can't find a 'sticky' or similar, for a buying guide or what to look for etc when viewing these cars.

Is there anything in particular I should look out for/avoid? Any common issues & faults? A lot seem to have very comprehensive service history, and recent timing belts & water pumps are always a plus too I guess.

I'm looking at an earlier model, probably 55ish plate, as I'll have roughly £6k. We've got our 3rd child on the way, and our current estate car is not big enough for 3 car seats in the back; I take it these cars are big enough!?

I'm sure I'm going to be spending lots of time reading on the forum.

Thanks in advance
ZER0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 11:13   #2
AB-UK
Premier Member

Sorry to disillusion you, but three baby seats might not fit, though it does depend on the size of the baby seats of course.
I recommend you go along to your nearest Volvo dealership and try putting the three seats in the back.

Not ideal I know, but you could also ask them about putting one or two babyseats on the rearmost seats, though it's not something I would have liked for my own children since they would be too far away from the front seat passengers.

Of course, one of you could travel in the back with the kiddies?
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 12:56   #3
DC850
VOC Member

Don't know how old/height you oldest child is, but Volvos have build in child seats in the centre position. If old enough you could use the build in Child/booster seat with two baby seats on the outer seats. Which could give you the room.

Hope you find the car that meets your requirements

Regards
DC850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 14:02   #4
Colger23

Should also point out that the centre seat can be slide quite a way forward and the centre console can be removed in seconds to make access to the centre seat easier.
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 16:32   #5
JonWill

Just to add my tuppence worth - there are not many bigger back seats out there ... we have four children (sorry!) and would usually have one on the third row on a booster seat - an infant seat would be a little trickier. Three should "fit" side by side on the second row - as long as you don't have triplets all needing enormous infant cradles at he same time. If you do, then a bus is probably best...
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 16:32   #6
rich1068
I've Been Banned

Ours are 6, 3 and 1 and we currently use a Group 1 (Maxi-Cosi Tobi) and either two Group 2/3s (Maxi-Cosi RodiFix) or one Group 2/3 and the built in centre booster. Day to day we'll use the booster but for a longer trip we use all three seats. Tobi in the middle and the RodiFix either side.

What's probably more use to you is knowing about rear facing seats. When I first started looking at the XC90 I had a couple of test drives using a Group 0+ (Maxi-Cosi CabrioFix), the Tobi and the centre booster. No problems with space there.

Unfortunately without knowing ages/weights/heights of your kids this is all guesswork though...
rich1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2014, 10:35   #7
ZER0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Ours are 6, 3 and 1 and we currently use a Group 1 (Maxi-Cosi Tobi) and either two Group 2/3s (Maxi-Cosi RodiFix) or one Group 2/3 and the built in centre booster. Day to day we'll use the booster but for a longer trip we use all three seats. Tobi in the middle and the RodiFix either side.

What's probably more use to you is knowing about rear facing seats. When I first started looking at the XC90 I had a couple of test drives using a Group 0+ (Maxi-Cosi CabrioFix), the Tobi and the centre booster. No problems with space there.

Unfortunately without knowing ages/weights/heights of your kids this is all guesswork though...
This sounds promising...our kids will be 7, 3 and then a new born. Isaac, the oldest, only has a booster seat. I wasn't sure if the built in booster is suitable for continuous use. But it's good thats its there if his current seat doesn't fit.

Thanks for the info and replies everyone.
ZER0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZER0 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2014, 14:15   #8
Chesney46

As for technically wise....
The T6 is a great engine but let down by a poor choice of gearbox (if you go for the auto).
The D5 is a good all rounder.
Then there is the all singing V8!
They all can suffer with the splined sleeve that drives the 4WD failing. Not a huge problem to fix.
The tax changed briefly, I can't remember the exact dates but I think it was around 05-06. Check carefully as some are taxed at £280 and the small change bumped it to over £400 briefly. It did go back down again and I believe there is some information around this site that may help.
Water leaking into the cab can be normal. Mine came from the sunroof drains which became blocked. Another easy fix.
Overall though they're just as reliable, or not, as any other car. All have their problems, it's just knowing about them that helps. And of course this forum where there is plenty of help with any issues you may encounter.
I only got mine in March, but I would happily buy another should I need to.
Old Jul 26th, 2014, 14:32   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesney46 View Post
As for technically wise....
The T6 is a great engine but let down by a poor choice of gearbox (if you go for the auto).
The D5 is a good all rounder.
Then there is the all singing V8!

They all can suffer with the splined sleeve that drives the 4WD failing. Not a huge problem to fix.
The tax changed briefly, I can't remember the exact dates but I think it was around 05-06. Check carefully as some are taxed at £280 and the small change bumped it to over £400 briefly. It did go back down again and I believe there is some information around this site that may help.
Water leaking into the cab can be normal. Mine came from the sunroof drains which became blocked. Another easy fix.
Overall though they're just as reliable, or not, as any other car. All have their problems, it's just knowing about them that helps. And of course this forum where there is plenty of help with any issues you may encounter.
I only got mine in March, but I would happily buy another should I need to.
Not forgetting the 2.5 5 cyl turbo petrol , the best petrol option !
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 21:15   #10
rich1068
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZER0 View Post
This sounds promising...our kids will be 7, 3 and then a new born. Isaac, the oldest, only has a booster seat. I wasn't sure if the built in booster is suitable for continuous use. But it's good thats its there if his current seat doesn't fit.

Thanks for the info and replies everyone.
Sorry, didn't spot your reply.

It seems you're good to go. 7yo in the central built in booster, 3yo in either a Tobi (or similar) or RodiFix (or similar) and new born in a CabrioFix (or similar). I know that works because I tried it.

The central booster is certainly up to the job. I'm not keen on base only boosters but the integrated design gives me no concerns. And don't forget there are two more seats in the back when none of them want to sit next to each other!
rich1068 is offline   Reply With Quote