Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240DL Est - the end of the road?

Views : 1201

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 13:02   #1
Olaf The Blue

Our 85 240DL Est has been in the family for 14 yrs. I bought it in 89 with 30k on the clock and since then it has been registered to me twice, to my eldest son and to my wife, who is technically, the present owner. With 182k now recorded (yes, I know it's only a baby mileage -wise), it is beginning to get a bit rough round the edges and at 24mpg, trogging round locally, it ain't exactly economical or environmentally friendly, even on unleaded.
Last week my eldest son, soon to become a proud father, anounced he was selling his car and asked if we would like it. I won't tell you what it is, suffice to say it isn't a Volvo, but it is reasonably new, average mileage and in good nick. My wife wants it!
My problem is this. I know the 240 isn't worth a lot but getting rid of it is going to be like getting rid of one of the family as far as I'm concerned. I love the old girl to bits. What I don't want to have to do in the Spring, when the swop over is due to take place, is to send her to a scrap yard. What are the chances of me being able to dispose of her in a gentler way, like, when the time comes, is there likely to be anyone out there who would take her off my hands for a nominal sum or must I harden my heart?

Regards
Olaf The Blue
Old Nov 11th, 2002, 23:15   #2
sheerwater
Master Member

Default RE: 240DL Est - the end of the road?

I know the feeling!!!! I just keep my old 740 as a spare !!! Cheers Nige
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2002, 16:37   #3
jakecrimmin

Hi Olaf, I'm afraid I can't take her off your hands but I could immortalise her for you, see my posting under "do you love your 200 series" for more info Regards Jake
Old Nov 30th, 2002, 02:32   #4
Olaf The Blue

Hi all!
Well, thanks to Nige and Jake for their replies to my post. The end of the road is nigh, I fear as matters have come to a head and in just over a week we are heading North of the Border to see our son, daughter-in-law and our new grandson and on our return, SWMBO will be driving the replacement for our trusty 240 Est, a more up-to-date, and in her eyes, user-friendly Renault Megane.
Which leaves me with the problem of how to dispose of my -sorry, our-(very) old and trusted 240. Cheapest and definitely easiest way is to take her to the local brokers who, under current legislation, will take her off my hands for a tenner and break her for spares. I'm not going to be able to do the actual delivery myself - far too emotional given what this car and I have been through together over 14 - no, it's fifteen years - but I think I know a man who can.
Alternatively, I would be more than happy to give her away to anyone who could make use of her, either as transport, she being street legal for six months, or as a source of spares or as a restoration project.
Having seen the negative responses in the "240s For Sale" section, I guess I'll have to resign myself to scrapping the old girl. I have neither the space or facilities to store her in the hope of doing a restoration myself in the future but I know I'm going to be upset to see the last of her. As I have said, if anyone wants her, free, gratis and for nothing, please get in touch. I'll even deliver within a reasonable distance.
I'll keep in touch with the forum, however, because I'm a Volvo fanatic at heart and in a couple of years, God willing, when both SWMBO and I, retire in earnest, I hope to acquire a late model V70 to replace my current Vectra CDX Est.( A much maligned species, incidentally. Don't believe a word J. Clarkson utters!)
For now, in sorrow.
Regards
Olaf The Blue
Old Dec 1st, 2002, 16:05   #5
Olaf The Blue

Hi all,
No - it's not the end of the line, after all.
Met an old mate yesterday who's happy to take her off my hands next Tuesday when we've brought the Megane down from Scotland.
Says he knows someone with a motor that's on it's last legs and who's strapped for cash who would be grateful for her. Think it might be my mate himself but no matter, the old girl has won a reprieve and it won't be me that has to finally do the foul deed and scrap her.
Much relieved
Regards
Olaf The Blue