Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Next ones an 850...

Views : 1045

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2014, 21:46   #11
Purdydog
Yorkshire Exile

Hi Phatboy,

I'll keep you posted, now we have a diesel obviously all the engine bits are no good to us, the only problem being that the v70 has done approx 230k - it probably deserves the rest.

1996 850 tdi glt 132k
Purdydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 22:00   #12
Purdydog
Yorkshire Exile

Well pick up the new bus today and all in all we're most impressed.

Its strange how different things are important to different people - the other half was delighted to find it has a sunroof, air con and heated seats, although I've got to make sure she doesn't use them all at once!! I explained it was the GLT, but it meant nothing!

I'm just happy that the car seems straight handles and brakes well, the powers well up on our V70 - I couldn't help grinning at seeing the mpg on the 40mile trip back being twice that of the v70.

There are a couple of niggles, a little body work might be required as the bottom of the passenger for is rusting out, the lacquer on the rear spoiler needs repairing, and the black / gray trim has faded. Also drivers door has been over opened at some stage denying it, which looks to have been repaired with a yard brush and dark blue dulux.
I'm fortunate that the v70 is the same color so there might be a bit of swopsies going on.

The other main point is a fair bit of sooty smoke from the exhaust, I spotted this on the test drive but as the engine sounded tight and ran well wasn't too concerned.
I'm hoping, judging by the amount of cobwebs and pines in the engine bay that it just needs a few good runs to clear its throat - I'll give a service asap to to make sure.

1996 850 tdi glt 132k
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 07:50   #13
klunk

Glad your happy with it, How much is a fair bit of smoke? These do push out a bit of smoke when they come on boost but it should clear.
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 08:42   #14
tj101c70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdydog View Post
The other main point is a fair bit of sooty smoke from the exhaust, .
Bet it done very few miles then in the last couple of years, and been stood for a few months ??

As said, put then on the boost, and will get some smoke
98 Defender 50th V8
87 240 GLT Est (Red Man)
tj101c70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 10:57   #15
Purdydog
Yorkshire Exile

Thanks Klunk / TJ,

The smokes not continuous, like you say, appears to push out a plume when accelerating. - Could well be it coming onto boost as you say - At present I'm not too concerns

I'm sure its been stood for a bit given the afore mentions cobwebs, dust and algae on it - Will give it an oil change and maybe a touch or Redex or similar and keep an eye on oil usage afterwards.

I'm sure its been debated on here before, but seen some interesting posts on use of a small amount of 2 stroke oil in diesel - any comments??

1996 850 tdi glt 132k
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 19:28   #16
thetroublemaker

Blanking off the egr will reduce the smoke over the course of a few weeks as the deposits get cleaned from the inlet. Then get the pump timing checked by someone with vol fcr as that can also cause smoke and needs checking every 20k.

If you haven't got a record of who and when someone changed the belts GET THEM DONE!
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 09:42   #17
Purdydog
Yorkshire Exile

Thanks troublemaker, just got back to this thread, there's lots of service history including can and auxiliary belts changes at 80k+ miles so I should be OK there for a bit.
Last service was done in 2012 and car has done less than 10k since then so might explain the amount.

Just ordered service items from FRF Volvo (cracking discounts) will get this done next weekend.

Just a couple of things we've noticed, can be a bit tempremental starting from warm, I see there's lots of posts on this, so will check battery and earth connections before moving onto to starter motor.

I notice it seems to be idling at approx 925rpm vs the quoted 810, is this OK?
Guess it could need injection pump setting up properly which might help with warm starting.

Beyond that enjoying the car and mpg, fortunately our old v70 is blue so busily stripping of any useful parts for future use.

P

1996 850 tdi glt 132k