Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying a C70

Views : 1648

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2014, 18:44   #11
Christerart
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinelake View Post
I also have one - a 2.0T Manual 1995 - quite similar to Krussel's.

I like:
- Driving with lid down (with deflector) - just wonderful!
- The space in the boot and in the back (for a cabrio)
- The leather interior is quite timeless. Mind you, my seats are in need of TLC.
- The ability to operate in "skip mode" to transport stupidly large objects
- It's still a mostly a pretty car (but see later)

I don't like:
- Drinks a lot
- Handles like a whale
- Wind noise (maybe my car has an issue at top front edge of passenger window)
- The way it devours bulbs
- The cost of road tax
- The front view
Mine is a 2000 2.0 LPT manual hardtop - after a year and a half (buying it very cheap) and using it pretty much daily it now has 79K on it.

Feels like new - everything works (although the foglight lenses needs replacement as they're gotten cloudy) but the amazing stereo, air, auto antenna - actually everything works on the car.

Doesn't rattle, very decent fuel mileage running mainly mixed with lots in town is steady at 27 mpg. A couple of months ago I put these tires on it:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Un...ainsport-3.htm

and they are fantastic on the car - quiet and gripping like crazy in rain or dry. On the country roads around here it's a lot of fun to throw around the corners and curves. Mine doesn't eat bulbs, no wind noise - it's a lovely car that feels (and looks) like a million - well, maybe not quite that much but Jess and I love the car.

And my mother in law loved it so much we bought her one - another 2000 hardtop 2.0 LPT manual..=*^)

Last edited by Christerart; May 26th, 2014 at 18:56.
Christerart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 19:48   #12
krussel
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS100 View Post

Keep your eyes open for one of the wind deflectors that you can see in krussel's photo if it doesn't come with one, the difference is unbelievable! Less than £100 for a good one second hand, I paid £90 for mine and I have a feeling krussel got his even cheaper.
Yes Mike is spot on here. Last summer (my first summer with the c70) I never had a deflector but had the roof down on most dry sunny days. Without the deflector and all the windows up everything was fine till 50 mph but then there was a annoying buffeting hitting me around the neck.

I bought the deflector over the Christmas break and as a rule they are almost half price on ebay in the winter. Waited till the spring and "oh boy" what a difference!. With just the side windows up there was no buffeting right up to the legal limit.

They really are a MUST. They also look pretty cool turning the car into a 2 seater look. Finally they allow you to place shopping items in the back mostly hidden on the back seat when you leave the car.

More on my cheap deflector purchase and refurb here.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=201315

Last edited by krussel; May 26th, 2014 at 20:19.
krussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 20:03   #13
thewinelake

Default Oops

Mine is a 2005!

Btw, deflector fantastic well beyond legal limit - and you're absolutely right about the stereo (although unsurprisingly blown away by the £1,000 Bose option on the A6!)

Any suggestions on what kind of place could fix my "wind noise" problem?

Last edited by thewinelake; May 26th, 2014 at 20:08.
thewinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 22:15   #14
Meko

Any garage should be able to sort the wind noise out. My convertible has / had the same issue where the window regulator needed adjusting so the windows go up fully. Before there was a slight gap which ended up with wind, wet floors and frosty windows.
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:41   #15
macdive

Well, got it yesterday, a 2.0T (2002). Very happy with it, performs fine, I may not bother with the planned remap. Need some TLC, the soft top needs a good clean, the fob doesn't open the boot and one headlight wiper doesn't wipe. Other than that, all is good.
Thanks for all the advice, the only thing left now is to find a wind deflector, and for the sun to shine!
macdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:55   #16
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdive View Post
one headlight wiper doesn't wipe. !
In which case this might be helpful:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=206043

Nice one - enjoy!
Old May 29th, 2014, 19:03   #17
krussel
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdive View Post
Well, got it yesterday, a 2.0T (2002). Very happy with it, performs fine, I may not bother with the planned remap. Need some TLC, the soft top needs a good clean, the fob doesn't open the boot and one headlight wiper doesn't wipe. Other than that, all is good.
Thanks for all the advice, the only thing left now is to find a wind deflector, and for the sun to shine!
Well done mate. I hope she serves you well. Should get some good weather in the next few weeks so you can get that roof down. Get some pics up.

With ref to the roof I would recommend a deep soapy clean with a sponge and soft brush to remove any green alge etc. Allow to completely dry and then paint on a couple of good coats of FABSIL. You can buy a Autoglym kit but it costs a lot more.

I give it a coat once a year and it also darkens the fabric slightly which is nice.

I would not recommend the spray as it soaks in on your first application. Cost about £11 for a 1ltr can which will give you 2 applications. I bought the 2.5 ltr can myself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/East-Coast-L...roofer+2.5+ltr

krussel is offline   Reply With Quote