Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

newbie with cam timing problem

Views : 463

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2014, 18:46   #1
wjones083

Default newbie with cam timing problem

Hi. I am new to this site.

I own a 1998 s40 2.0l non turbo and needed to repair the cylinder head because of bent valves.

Now I am trying to time this vehicle and I am very confused. I did line up all the marks on the cam pulleys and crankshaft before removing. I got the head refitted and this is where my problem begins.

When I put the cams back on these marks the inlet is no problem and lines up perfectly. The exhaust cam will line up but the lobes on no 4 ex cam are pushing down on the valves and the engine won't crank by hand.

I need to know what i am doing wrong.

Thanx
wjones083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 19:04   #2
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Have you got the bottom pulley lined up? There should be marks there as well. Both marks on the top two cams should be skywards. If you go to the s40/v40 1996-2004 section and do a cambelt search you will find allsorts of helpful info.

Theres a really good YouTube video aswell, ill see of I can find it

Have a watch, hope this helps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK_z...e_gdata_player
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 19:19   #3
DWM
VOC Member

It's correct that some of the lobes will be pushing down on some of the valves, when the camshafts are aligned with the timing marks.

What do you mean exactly when you say it won't crank manually? Do you mean you feel resistance to turning the engine? And if so are you sure that the resistance is more than just what you have to overcome from the valve springs? As Anadinolin implies there shouldn't be any impact with pistons if you also lined up the crankshaft pulley marks correctly. Can the exhaust camshaft be turned (with timing belt off)?

Last edited by DWM; Jan 16th, 2014 at 19:23.
DWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 19:35   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones083 View Post
Hi. I am new to this site.

I own a 1998 s40 2.0l non turbo and needed to repair the cylinder head because of bent valves.

Now I am trying to time this vehicle and I am very confused. I did line up all the marks on the cam pulleys and crankshaft before removing. I got the head refitted and this is where my problem begins.

When I put the cams back on these marks the inlet is no problem and lines up perfectly. The exhaust cam will line up but the lobes on no 4 ex cam are pushing down on the valves and the engine won't crank by hand.

I need to know what i am doing wrong.

Thanx
You must have removed the vernier pulleys from the camshafts to get the head off , so you will need the volvo cam positioning tools to lock them in the correct place ..They fit on the ends of the camshafts at the gearbox end .