Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'04 V70 | Cant get CV Axle out.. HELP!

Views : 475

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2014, 04:25   #1
68lemans462

Default '04 V70 | Cant get CV Axle out.. HELP!

I am replacing both CV axles on my '04 V70 2.5T front wheel drive. Passenger side came out with ease. Drivers side is a nightmare. I have removed the shaft from the spindle end and since the boot was ripped, I yanked it out. What remains is the square'ish constant velocity joint? (lets call it CVJ) on the transmission side. From what I understand, this needs to be "popped" loose. I have tried everything I can think of for several hours and this thing WILL NOT BUDGE!

I tried tapping a cold chisel/large screwdriver/prybar between the gearbox and CVJ. I also tried an air hammer (not between gearbox and square piece) but rather toward the outside. I couldnt get a good angle on it. Additionally, I rented a axle puller tool from Autozone (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...82103&cmpid=cj), it didnt fit in there very well at all (too thick to get between the pieces). My fear in wedging things between the CVJ and the gearbox is damaging the gearbox. Any tips for this?? Anyone know where I can get a "jimmy" tool, or do I just need a damn bigger hammer!!
68lemans462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 11:44   #2
oragex
Premier Member

Check over the net, it's pretty common. pry bar and a solid 'jerk', not just constant pressure. protect the transmission casing
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 11:51   #3
Hasse53

I have removed a lot of (lefthand)driveshafts, but only from manual gearboxes. According to the Haynes manual there is no difference if it is a manual or automatic gearbox. This said because I suspect you have an automatic. I use a 18" prybar which I insert between the gearbox and CV joint. Then I apply a lot of controlled force. Eventually the force applied can be incresed with a good stroke from your hand. This has worked for me sofar.

Do not use hammer, cold chisel or similar, then you risk to destroy something!

Good luck!
Hasse53 is offline   Reply With Quote