Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should I be concerned with reliability of xc90

Views : 1070

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2013, 06:38   #1
Blue Ocean Racer
New Member but 3rd Volvo

Default Should I be concerned with reliability of xc90

Very soon we will be moving back to the US after 9 years in Europe. My wife wants a new xc90 as her next US car. She had one in Belgium, a 2007 model (company car) and she liked it for its size and safety. However she does not remember, but I do, that we had many problems with it: shaking while braking, electrical glitches and doors would sometimes not lock or unlock as they had a mind on their own....and dealer never was able to fix both problems. Also one xenon light was doing what it wanted, thermostat made us freeze in the car while in Bavaria, and steering system leaked fluid and it was replaced. All in one year.

After reading this xc90 forum I see that some of the problems persist. I know that there are many more "attractive" options now, even in the US, and that a new XC90 will be introduced within a year, but maybe getting the car she wants is really what one needs to do. BTW, it will be a new 2013 AWD 3.2 Platinum (everything on it; sun roof , sovereign leather, navi, premium sound, bliss, 7 seats, xenons, camera,etc and for a great price of 41000 USD. Oh, it has also wooden steering wheel....no need for this....but is there....would we hate it? what is the reason for wooden wheel? Never had it and it seems that it is an unusual option for everyday car.
Also, if anyone has a 3.2 AWD Geartronic version: what is an real life fuel consumption? Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 08:02   #2
sylvainXC90

As you know, XC90 was designed at the beginning of this century (!), and I do not see a very high compensation for reliability buying a new one now, in relation with other options. It has the same defects since the beginning, I think. If 7 seats are a "must have" for you, Audi Q7 is available, Land Rover Discovery4 and X5 too, extra seats as an option. Of course, they may be more expensive. The 3.2 is excellent and is a Volvo motor, with consumption around 12liters/100 km (sorry for metrical data). My V8 drinks 10% more, more or less.
sylvainXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sylvainXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 09:46   #3
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvainXC90 View Post
As you know, XC90 was designed at the beginning of this century (!), and I do not see a very high compensation for reliability buying a new one now, in relation with other options. It has the same defects since the beginning.
I disagree with quite a lot of this.

The XC90 is an old design and at the end of its life, however it has been improved significantly over the years and 'end of design life' cars often make great purchases as they are both cheap and should have had all the niggles/faults designed out at the factory.

The 2006 facelift was already a HUGE step up in reliability over the earlier pre-facelift cars and IMO the XC90 has become more reliable with every MY since. The PAS issue for example is something that I have only ever seen affect pre 2008 cars.

Not being familiar with the pricing in the USA I cant advise what a bargain is/isnt, but if $41k is cheap, then why not.

Dont forget that dealers in the USA are likely to be much more coustomer focussed than in Belgium (and perhaps Europe as a whole), so any issues will likely be solved more quickly and to a higher standard.

The 3.2 is a great motor, strong and reliable. In the same situation I would be waiting until the MY15 XC90 has been revealed and starting to arrive at the dealers as the current one will then become almost unsellable and attract even better discounts.

Nothing wrong with buying a current model car, just time it correctly.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A lex For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 10:56   #4
sylvainXC90

You are right, MY13 is more reliable (but not perfect). What I really meant is that others options are more up to date. If buying an "old" car is not a problem for "Blue Ocean Racer", then great deals will soon appears, I am agree too
sylvainXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sylvainXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 11:44   #5
Blue Ocean Racer
New Member but 3rd Volvo

thanks for comments....
I do not know the Volvo market in the US, but just my internet inquires with dealers in South and North Carolina found 8k discounts + 3 year free service and 3 year maintenance...including wearable parts like brake parts, wipers, etc. That is also a certain value. Looking at it from the EU perspective...a fully loaded new Volvo with free service for about 30,000 euros! That would be a steal! I paid much more for the XC60 here in germany and it does not have 7 seta or sunroof on it. BTW, I need to sell that car soon. Good price!
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 17:02   #6
richard

You are allot better off with a Volvo out of warranty than a landrover out of warranty!

I do think it will be reliable, but you will need to spend money on maintainance and random/common faults associated with age.
Just depends if you expect to run it for the cost of the tyres/oil change/tax and insurance every year or not.
richard is offline   Reply With Quote