Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 estate rear suspension

Views : 872

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 10:55   #1
gadge442

Can any one advise me on the proceedure for replacing the rear shocks on 850 estate,not self levelling.Today I noticed the rubber seal at the top had gone,can I simply replace this on both sides or new shocks including mountings and what is the best way to do it myself.Thanks Paul
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 11:08   #2
COCKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge442
Can any one advise me on the proceedure for replacing the rear shocks on 850 estate,not self levelling.Today I noticed the rubber seal at the top had gone,can I simply replace this on both sides or new shocks including mountings and what is the best way to do it myself.Thanks Paul
A lot depends on if you have the extra seat fitted, you have to undo various bolts, clips etc. in the under floor area as required, fold the main rear seat down and slide rearwards if I recall and lift up the carpet covered wooden panels to gain access to the upper mounting points, then it's just a matter of undoing the nuts on top of the shocks. you are better off working in through the rear doors wherever possible for better access.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 11:33   #3
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

paul the following is a thread re; changing rear top mounts
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/t899...s-855-ph2.html
the only difference is that you will have to support the rear of the car and undo the bottom of the shock
cheers
jod
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 20:17   #4
gadge442

Thanks for the advice all done now about 20 mins and so easy following the link.Thanks again

Paul
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 21:33   #5
v70stu
V60 T6

Hi! Is it the top mounts that are liekly to be causing the annoying creaking from the rear suspension on my 98 V70 Torslanda? If so this is just the link I've been after, thanks!

Stu
v70stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 22:47   #6
COCKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by v70stu
Hi! Is it the top mounts that are liekly to be causing the annoying creaking from the rear suspension on my 98 V70 Torslanda? If so this is just the link I've been after, thanks!

Stu
I was getting a "clunking" sound from the top of the shocks on my 850 wagon, on inspection there was a bit of play with the top rubbers/washers, I just used a couple of large metal washers 3/8" thick or so to take up the gap, worked perfectly.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 11:57   #7
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by v70stu

Stu
stu if your rear to mounts are u/s you will hear a loud clunck/banging noise a metal to metal type of noise
creaking noises in the rear of my car have been down to
rear seat catches needinging a wrap of insuluting tape
rear parcel shelf end spigots needing the same
rear boot floor side panels needing the same
reat boot lid interior trim requiring screwing to back door (never got on with the kits)
a good greasing to the rear sus damper lower bush
a squirt of wd 40 to the rear springs
ive had 5 volvos...they all creak gives me an excuse to turn up the sounds....lol
cheers
jod
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 21:21   #8
v70stu
V60 T6

Cheers! I'll have to get in the back whilst the missus drives around the block then. Did this on my dad's 850 estate and that turned out to be the clunking/knocking sound = shocks. I'm sure my rear shocks are fine for now but that squeak is driving me nuts. Could well be springs or bottom bushes as it seems fine in wet weather.

Stu
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:07   #9
v70stu
V60 T6

Just to add an update to this, yesterday evening I was finally driven to do something about all the creaking and squeaking in the back of the car! I did the following:

1) Loosened the rear shock absorber top rubber mounts, cleaned underneath them and lightly sprayed some WD40 (not so much that it ran all over the place, just a light coating) and tightened them back up again.

2)Lightly greased EVERY metal clip on each wooden boot floor panel, so any metal clip to plastic panel contact was lubricated with a very fine coating of Halfords' cycle teflon grease.

3)Applied the greasse, again only a very fine coating, to the rear seat catches (the ones that lock the seats in the upright position) and the small mounting lugs on the load cover roller blind.

4)Applied a very fine coating of Vaseline to the tailgate rubber seal, all the way around. This is the seal that mates up to the metalwork at the back of the car, the water seal. Clean the rubber first and then clean the metal where it will meet up. I noticed on my car that there were rubber "deposits" on the metalwork - almost as though through constant vibration the rubber had started to "melt" onto the metal. This could well have been the main source of the squeaking as it really showed on lumpy roads.

5)Apply a little Vaseline to the rubber seals on both tailgate hinges, the seals that meet up to the metal of the body. Clean the seals and the metalwork first and only applu a very fine coating of Vaseline.

Took the car for a drive and hey presto! NO SQUEAKING OR CREAKING!!! YAAAAAY!!!

Only use a fine coating of whatever you end up using as a lubricant - too much and it'll get everywhere. I don't know how long it'll last but it's worked and I'll do the same again. Thankfully the rear shock absorber top mounts were in good condition, the rubber looked fine, no drying or cracking appearing so they should last a good while longer yet.