Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 estate propshaft bearing replacement

Views : 1124

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:15   #1
tllewellin

Default 960 estate propshaft bearing replacement

Hi has anybody replaced these bearings? Is it a complex job, or something that can be done easily without special tools etc. Whilst Im under the car is there anything else I should look out for "bearing in mind" that Ive only just bought the car and its 150K milage? thanks Tim
Old Aug 13th, 2002, 17:34   #2
sheerwater
Master Member

Default RE: 960 estate propshaft bearing replacement

Hi,Relatively easy job to do the hardy spicer joints IF the circlips are not to rusted. Secret is to clean outside of the ''cups'' thoroughly to clear rust paint etc. away from the bit you have to drive the cups out of. proceed as follows. undo circlips, drive out cups to release the X yoke and then reassemble. Problem comes if there are no circlips and the cups are peened into the carrier. Another problem comes if you dont get everything balanced as it will vibrate.

Number 2/ If its the centre ball race support bearing then this is easy PROVIDED YOU MARK THE SHAFT BEFORE SPLITTING and reassemble to the marks.If you dont reassemble exactly the prop will become severely strained at speeds and can snap!!! You notice the problem as a heavy vibration at low speeds but this stops as you speed up and the prop tensions.

If its the hardy spicer joints I believe ACE GEARBOXES of Northampton can replace and balance for you. Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2002, 11:59   #3
tllewellin

Nigel, thanks for the information, Ive also been told that Quentin Hazel replacement bearings are not very good quality, would you recommend any other types? Volvo's own come in at about £40 each, as opposed to £20 ish, thanks Tim

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 09:12   #4
sheerwater
Master Member

Hi,
Cant see that QH bearings are any different from many others as its a hard world out there in the bearing market. If you are talking the UJs I believe that there are very few manufacturers and they keep buying each other out. I always thought that QH was part of GKN but I also always knew the UJ joints as Hardy Spicers and goodness knows who owns them. One port of call I always use is a local bearing merchant such as Premier Bearings in Northampton. (all types of bearings,belts etc) The mark u on bearings is fairly high at the retail end and the discounts are good. Trouble is you need a pattern sometimes before you approach them and they micrometer it up to get the replacement. One point to watch out for is the Chinese stuff coming in. I went on the webthe other day and found loads of Chinese companies offering anything from steering racks to brakes. Want to chance any of this?
Cheers Nigel
Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 20:32   #5
tim960

Thanks Nigel, sorry in the delay in response, Im on holiday, and had to sign in as new user as all my password info is at work. Having got under the car and looked for myselft I think the dif. has gone! Also the rear shocks are I think are dead as the care rolls quite a lot and sits unevenly on level ground. The steering is also giving a juddering at standstill, which is worrying, having bought the car at £740, and already spent £300, I now ask the question is it a money pit?!

thanks Tim

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:15   #6
George Holmer

Of course it is amoney pit, these cars always are. But they are lovely!!

George

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler
Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 19:52   #7
tim960

Ok, but so long as it isnt a bottonless money pit, and if Im "investing" time and money into a basically sound car I dont mind, it becomes an issue when you start with a dog, spend several thousand £ and then still have a dog. Tim

Old Sep 7th, 2002, 19:56   #8
sheerwater
Master Member

Hi again,
Brake disks are relatively inexpensive and you really notice a difference. Rear shocks however could be expensive if you have the self levellng variety . about £120 each Wobbly steering? check for a slight bulge in a tyre. PS if you know all the bits that need changing save cash on delivery charges by ordering at the same time. (unlike me who had three deliveries!!!!) cheers Nigel