Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch problem

Views : 1418

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2013, 14:27   #1
Orangemoon

Question Clutch problem

OK.. My first post and it's a biggie!
On the way to Paris to see Iron Maiden someone tried to kill me by throwing things at the car as I was driving along at 110kmph... I slammed the brakes/clutch on, so he was no longer next to me..luckily there was no-one behind.. did an emergency stop and on recovering my composure realised I couldn't change gear... Managed to limp home by changing gear with the motor off and then starting it "in gear" The "breakdown" guy said he thought it was the slave cylinder.. Now the question. Is this feasible bearing in mind I've NO fluid loss and no problems beforehand? AND.. Is it a possible DIY and what gear would we need? The car is a 2005 XC90 2.4 D5 S AWD 163hp Manual
HELP!!!
Thanks
Orangemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orangemoon For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 16:47   #2
GerryS

I've had the slave cylinder go. Symptoms were slow loss of fluid (accompanied by slight clutch judder when setting off) and then suddenly the clutch pedal sinks to the floor and doesn't do anything.

Obvious thing to do is check your clutch fluid level. There's a small shared brake/clutch plastic filler tank in the back of the engine bay (on the left hand side, about 10cm from the strut on right hand drive models). You XC90 handbook will show where it is. It'll have separate compartments internally so that you don't lose the brake fluid if the clutch fluid goes.

Also look under the engine to see if it looks wet at all - any sign of clutch/brake fluid on the bottom of the engine, probably near the front.

If the clutch fluid has gone, then it's almost certainly the slave cylinder.

Gerry
GerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 20:33   #3
Orangemoon

Default Fluid

Hi.. Thanks for your reply.. No fluid anywhere it shouldn't be.. and no previous symptoms.. A friend has been and had a look and thinks it could be the master cylinder....located behind the clutch pedal?? Bearing in mind I did an emergency stop at about 35mph, he thinks it could be the sudden shock that's forced the internals of the master cylinder to move where they shouldn't.. That make any sense??
Orangemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, no gears, slave cylinder, sudden breakdown