Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Suggestions on storing C70 wind deflector

Views : 1936

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2013, 22:18   #1
MikeS100
Premier Member

Default Suggestions on storing C70 wind deflector

Hi all,

I've just ordered a wind deflector for the C70, just wondering if anyone has any tips on storing it. I'm assuming I can leave it in place when the roof is up, but if I want to carry anyone in the back what's the best way to store it? Size wise will it fit in the boot as it doesn't look like it folds in half like the 2006 onwards ones do. And if it does fit I don't want to just leave it loose as I've usually got other bits in there and I'm guessing it would be easily damaged as it looks quite fragile, is there anyway to protect and secure it in the boot?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks
MikeS100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 23:26   #2
cadaron
VOC member

Smile

Hi,

Take it the roof problem you had is now fixed?

We have a wind deflector, certainly a worthwhile investment. If you look in the handbook, there is a small diagram on page 45 I think which explains how it works, basically, there are two fins, one on either side which fold under and in so doing the width is reduced so that it can be stowed in the boot.
It will go in if put in at an angle and then slide to the back of the boot, which is not that useful anyway as it is height reduced, two of us recently went off for the day and I managed to get (including deflector) 2 folding chairs, picnic blanket, picnic table (small roll up type) 3 cool bags, wicker picnic biscuit and coats all in the boot.
The deflector is actually quite sturdy, it actually more difficult to put in place over the rear seats, as the 2 push out rods can mark the interior if they are not accurately lined up first!

It is also not easy to take out of the rear with the roof up, although it can be done carefully.

Hope the above is of some use, and you were brave fitting your own rear parking sensors, I said it was not easy.
cadaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cadaron For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2013, 23:57   #3
MikeS100
Premier Member

Thanks for the reply, that's great. Most of the time it's just me in the car but it's nice to know it will fit in the boot if I have the wife and kids in the car or I'm giving lifts at work which happens occasionally.

I still have issues with the roof, it works but it's not completing the cycle fully when it goes up or down, but my local Volvo main dealer seems knowledgeable about the roof (some have no idea apparently!) and they have suggested it just needs re-calibrating at £58 and they will check to see if there is a faulty sensor at the same time. So fingers crossed they will sort it when I get the timing belt done in the next few weeks.

As for the parking sensors, what a nightmare of a job! Lol. And they're not that great, I fitted them at the recommended height of 50cm which is perfect location on the bumper but I find they are a little bit high compared to other car bumpers when parking. Good against walls and posts though which is the main reason I wanted to fit them I guess.

I'm just hoping the weather improves soon so I can get the top down again, I've owned it a month now and I don't think I have had the roof down in the last two weeks!
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:15   #4
woolfie1948

I agree with everything cadaron says about the wind deflector.
We were fortunate to find one in it's canvass bag in the boot of our 2003 C70when we bought it. At first we did not bother to use it but then decided to try it and now it stays up most of the 'summer' as it is definitely worthwhile. It is kept in the boot most of the winter.
It is not as fragile as it looks and I found not difficult to fit once I worked out which way up it went! At first I was a little concerned that the push out rods do not push out (and into the car's side panels) as far as I expected, but so far no problems.
I have often thought about fitting rear parking sensors as I usually drive a V70 so need to be reminded about the boot sticking out as rear visibility with the roof up is not great, and the kits look so reasonably priced. I thought it may be harder than it looks!
Is your advice to get someone else to do it?
Enjoy your car
Jonathan
woolfie1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:48   #5
MikeS100
Premier Member

I didn't realise it was supposed to come in a canvas bag, I've only even seen the bag for the later ones. With any luck the one I ordered will come with the bag, but it was not mentioned in the advert so I'm not expecting it to.

As for the parking sensors, it can be done if you're reasonably competent and have a good set of tools, but I would recommend you pay for someone else to fit them. It would be much easier if you take the bumper off the car so if you're confident with that you'll be fine, but my bumper did not want to come off and the previous owner has glued the trim panel under the lights on so I would have wrecked them getting the bumper off. I bought the maplin kit when it was half price and they don't look out of place at all. The black sensors match perfectly with my black car, but I don't think they can be painted. Where I have fitted them seems to be the same as factory fit sensors but the only work if you're reversing towards a flat surface so not great against other cars I have found, but my worry was more reversing the corner into hidden posts I couldn't see and they work for that.

I'm pleased with the result I got as it only cost me £20, but if I was doing it again I would invest in a more expensive kit and have it fitted.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeS100 For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2013, 19:32   #6
cadaron
VOC member

woolfie 1948

Yes, we went for parking sensors, but got our local garage to fit them, as the bumper is best taken off and the foam behind cut off etc. think it should be about 3 hours work.
cadaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cadaron For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2013, 17:33   #7
MikeS100
Premier Member

Took advantage of the slightly warmer weather today and had the top down with the wind deflector in place, very impressed with the difference it made. Doing 70 on the motorway was no problem, you could feel the wind but nothing like it was without the deflector and could still hear the stereo as well. Well worth the money
Old May 26th, 2013, 07:50   #8
Simon J
Premier Member

Mike,

You'll find it's very effective well into three figure speeds! And in cold weather, just switch on the heated seats, turn up the heater and off you go. For some strange reason this was an option up until, I think, the 2003 model year. Certainly our 2003 car came with it and I couldn't imagine using the car with the roof down for any distance without it. I presume you also got the black cotton bag to store it in when it's folded up in the boot? It fits very neatly, but only one way round. I think the trick is to store it with the main section flat on the floor of the boot and the ends folded on top. That way even putting stuff on top of it isn't likely to damage it.
Old May 26th, 2013, 10:19   #9
MikeS100
Premier Member

Thanks for the tip, probably is the safest way to store it without damaging it. Didn't get the bag unfortunately, I didn't even know about the bag until after I'd ordered it! None of the ones I had been looking at on ebay came with the bag. I don't really mind though, I'm going to have a look at suporting it from the 'ceiling' of the boot, it looks like it would fit pretty well there and that would prevent me damaging it with anything on top. Not sure exactly how at the moment but if I do look into this further and figure something out I will update on here.