Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

air box thermostat

Views : 772

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2013, 15:19   #1
steveedge

Default air box thermostat

hi all noticed my v70 had started to use a bit more fuel than normal its never great as I've always got a boot full of stuff about 19mpg mixed driving and plenty of big hills to climb around here but lately it's been down around 14 mpg anyway only thing that wasn't new was plugs (around 12 months old)so changed them for some volvo ones and cleaned throttle body things improved,much more responsive as expected but still only around 16mpg anyway got home last night and with the week at home thought i'd have a play first thing I checked was the vacuum operated t/stat in the airbox and i struck lucky I reckon,no movement in stat looks as old as the car,so, and i know some may not agree,I've now permantley rigged it so it only sucks cold air and the hot air intake is shut tight.
All i can say if you've never checked yours have a look and seriously consider this bodge.I'm now getting 24mpg on a 15 mile urban drive and better than that the improvement in throttle response is amazing no flat spots great pick up and much quicker of the mark.I know that people warn of icing on the throttle body but in the uk i don't see this being an issue sorry if i've gone on a little but this five minute job has impressed me that much i had to share
Old May 6th, 2013, 19:57   #2
skinnyl

I did this last year and had the same effect.. Well worth a go, I'd say.

Also figured I wouldn't have any issues in this climate - got through this winter just fine! Only thing I noticed is that it took longer to warm up.. Obviously.
Old May 7th, 2013, 08:52   #3
steveedge

No big hardship that thought thinking about those extra mpg will keep me warm
Old May 7th, 2013, 13:21   #4
well-dweller

Default Air box thermostat

Hi Steve, where is it? Ta
well-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 16:19   #5
steveedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by well-dweller View Post
Hi Steve, where is it? Ta
sent you some more info on pm
Old May 7th, 2013, 16:28   #6
steveedge

just got back from a trip to birmingham motorway all the way 80mph plus,aircon roaring,37 mpg as per trip computer cars quieter and gear shifts are smoother too also i've got a god awful euro car parts exhaust on,worst buy ever,sounded like a teenagers corsa even that's quieter now sounds quite nice actually again rambling but tried explaining to the wife and she just glazes over so thought i'd share with people who understand.

Last edited by steveedge; May 7th, 2013 at 16:28. Reason: punchuation
steveedge is offline   Reply With Quote