Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BTCC - twin oil filler caps - WHY?

Views : 2179

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2013, 13:09   #11
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS100 View Post
What an engine, and what a car! Apparently it's to make sure the timing is spot on. With the high engine stress and low tolerances of a race engine the way an engine is normally timed is simply not good enough. I have been told having a filler above each cam means the cam lobe center can be pinpointed and timed to absolute top dead center of the crank. It needs to be done with cam in place and under tension from the belt.

Are you into the BTCC Antz? I am lucky enough that my father in law works for Motorbase (Airwaves racing) so I quite often get pit lane access at the races And I live 5 minutes away from Brands Hatch. I find the BTCC much more interesting than Formula 1. Gorden Shedden coming from the back of the pack to second in the last race at Brands was awsome!
Im not a huge fan of the modern BTCC but its miles better than any year of F1. If Im at home and I catch it on tv then Ill quite easily find myself hooked.

1994 was my favourite season. I bought a car last year and the guy I bought it from invited me to see his car colelction including "an old Volvo race car" as he put it. In reality it was a genuine 1994 Volvo 850 Estate BTCC car! I nearly poo'd with delight.

Thanks for the info on the twin caps. I wasnt sure why they did it. Its a funky mod that I fancy doing purely becuase its a BTCC thing but at the same time I looked at it and thought "but why, it has no use" but it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scutyde View Post
You can pop out the "lid" which seals the second cap and put one filler cap from another 850 or 960.
Yep thats right. Apparently its as easy as a block of wood, a hammer and some careful tapping to knock the old blank out, knock another neck out of an old cover and tap it into the new cover.

I do like the Volvo carbaon covers but couldnt afford Blackbeasts when it was for sale. Knew I would regret it but hey ho...

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide

Last edited by Antz; Apr 25th, 2013 at 13:11.
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 20:59   #12
byootox
Premier Member

Good video and nice colour to choose.
Always wondered myself what the second blank in the cam cover was for, I orignally thought it was for the engine in a vehicle that access to the engine was poor or something.
P.S. liked the computer voice from portal added in lol
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote