Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xenon update with OEM xenon headlights

Views : 5555

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 10:07   #11
Derek Oliver

I am a member of the MG owners club and one of our regular posters on there is an MOT tester. This subject comes up occasionally regarding the TF which has projector type headlights so it is practical to convert to HID.

He is adamant that the testing rules (at present) do not call for either self levelling or washers in that the vehicle is tested "as presented" and as long as the headlight aim is correct with the manual adjustment set to its highest position that's a pass.

Also I am still a member of the Jaguar forum from the previous Xtype we had and again the topic comes up regularly as that model has the world's worst headlights. They would disgrace a pre-war vehicle. Many owners of those have fitted after market HIDs without SL and have passed MOT without comment, not even advisories.

My tester acquaintance gets official updates from VOSA and nothing has come up to indicate that this situation might change in the near future mainly due to the difficulties of practical testing of any SL fitted. The change that is coming in says "where fitted" SL and washers must work but if not testable the owner is given the benefit of the doubt.

New cars with HID do have to be fitted with both SL and washers under C&U regs but as some came off the production line without, this muddle is probably going to continue for some time.

To sum up, if you fit after market HIDs of good quality with nice clean cut off and set them properly they shouldn't cause any MOT problem for the foreseeable future. Of course when loaded you must adjust them down both as courtesy to on coming drivers and to avoid the attention of the constabulary.

The one fly I can see in this ointment is if you have an accident at night. The insurance companies are keen to avoid liability if they can and a keen eyed assessor might pick this up. I have not seen any reports on that to date.

New to Volvo - 07 C30 2.0 L D
1972 MGB GT big boy's toy
Derek Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Oliver For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 12:14   #12
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Oliver View Post
I am a member of the MG owners club and one of our regular posters on there is an MOT tester. This subject comes up occasionally regarding the TF which has projector type headlights so it is practical to convert to HID.

He is adamant that the testing rules (at present) do not call for either self levelling or washers in that the vehicle is tested "as presented" and as long as the headlight aim is correct with the manual adjustment set to its highest position that's a pass.

Also I am still a member of the Jaguar forum from the previous Xtype we had and again the topic comes up regularly as that model has the world's worst headlights. They would disgrace a pre-war vehicle. Many owners of those have fitted after market HIDs without SL and have passed MOT without comment, not even advisories.

My tester acquaintance gets official updates from VOSA and nothing has come up to indicate that this situation might change in the near future mainly due to the difficulties of practical testing of any SL fitted. The change that is coming in says "where fitted" SL and washers must work but if not testable the owner is given the benefit of the doubt.

New cars with HID do have to be fitted with both SL and washers under C&U regs but as some came off the production line without, this muddle is probably going to continue for some time.

To sum up, if you fit after market HIDs of good quality with nice clean cut off and set them properly they shouldn't cause any MOT problem for the foreseeable future. Of course when loaded you must adjust them down both as courtesy to on coming drivers and to avoid the attention of the constabulary.

The one fly I can see in this ointment is if you have an accident at night. The insurance companies are keen to avoid liability if they can and a keen eyed assessor might pick this up. I have not seen any reports on that to date.
All well and good that some people get through, but SOME isn't EVERYONE. That is the problem. All you need to do is get to an MOT tester who will take rules so serious that even the slightest modification will make it fail.

European law is in this case above British law and in EU regulation R48 the rerquirement of automatic leveling and headlight washers are noted if you have lights with exceed the brightness of 2000 lumen (halogen is 1500-1800 lumen, xenon lights are around 3000 lumen).

This law is also active in Britain, as it was passed into ALL European nations...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 20:32   #13
joonak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Wiring is NOT plug and play. The plugs on the lights themselves are different! Halogen and Xenon lights have different plugs on purpose! To stop people fitting them where they aren't allowed.

Remember: your current lights have the manual height adjustment via little wheel on the light switch. The motors for those are different (the Xenon ones react faster and are ALWAYS in use). They are also wired different. Xenon lights need regular calibration too as they will during life point downwards (at least in a Volvo).

Either: fit halogen lights and be happy or do the COMPLETE conversion.

The headlights CAN be taken to pieces and the parts from one fitted in the other. You can make your halogen lights look like xenon ones be fitting the chrome rings...
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?157055

Any opinions about this?
joonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 13:27   #14
nbuuifx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
All well and good that some people get through, but SOME isn't EVERYONE. That is the problem. All you need to do is get to an MOT tester who will take rules so serious that even the slightest modification will make it fail.

There shouldn't be a problem with any MOT tester - if they failed you for not having self levelling then you would just take it to VOSA for appeal. The MOT guidance is quite clear now (it used to be a bit hazy) and you do not need self levelling or headlamp washers.

I don't really know about the EU stuff but that usually applies to new cars - please provide some proof of what you were saying about EU law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOT Manual
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOT Manual
Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.
nbuuifx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 20:24   #15
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuuifx View Post
There shouldn't be a problem with any MOT tester - if they failed you for not having self levelling then you would just take it to VOSA for appeal. The MOT guidance is quite clear now (it used to be a bit hazy) and you do not need self levelling or headlamp washers.

I don't really know about the EU stuff but that usually applies to new cars - please provide some proof of what you were saying about EU law.
I can only provide you with the EU regulations in German. The correct regulation code is ECE-R48

Here in German from Hella, the light manufacturers and is valid for cars and trailers:
http://www.hella.com/hella-com/asset...rschriften.pdf

Page 5, section "Sonstiges":
Quote:
Sind die Scheinwerfer mit Lichtquellen > 2.000 Lumen (in der Regel Xenon) ausgestattet (Fern- und Abblendlicht), müssen eine automatische Leuchtweiteregelung und eine Scheinwerferreinigungsanlage verbaut sein.
Diese Anforderungen gelten auch bei nachträglichen Umrüstungen von bereits im Verkehr befindlichen Fahrzeugen, die nach dem 01.04.2000 umgerüstet wurden.
Use google translator and you get the point stating, that vehicles built after the 01.04.2000 (and retrofitted since then) require automatic leveling systems and headlight cleaners. I've highlighted the important words (even though German).

It is a regulation. Germany had no law regarding Xenon lights before this EU regulation was introduced.

Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 20:31   #16
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonak View Post
Nasty bodge... That is all I will say about it.