Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the point of Red and Green Men?

Views : 1344

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2013, 20:11   #11
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
Too true. Or (the Brit) would get a bit paranoid, start to feel cheated, and shoot forwards aggressively when it wasn't his turn.

Odd though that they cope so well as motorists, considering that US ctizens have a certain reputation for (dis)orderly queing in other circumstances, like waiting for a bus or taxi at the airport.
Well, and this is not fiction but fact, the American analphabet percentage is a lot higher than here in Europe. I think even Romania and Turkey have a lower percentage. So laws are easy. Confusion due to left and right mixups is also lower, as you can overtake on the left, the right or however you feel is right.

US driving is basically made up of:

- first come, first serve
- match the numbers on the speed sign to the numbers in your speedo
- oncoming traffic must pass on the side your steering wheel is on
- Red light means stop
- Yellow/amber light means get prepared for a light change
- Green light means go

Knowing those 6 rules you can drive throughout the USA with ease and that is it. Compare that to the rules you need to know here and you get the point.

The taxi/bus queue is a little different. There it is personal ego over personal ego. Kind of like traffic in Mumbay!

But if you are in say a supermarket, you don't get the British "every till has a queue". You get the "all tills share one queue". So somewhere along the lines, the Yanks inherited the British "Queue? And you don't know why? I'll be there in 10 mins!" mentality Otherwise they inherited the German way of life (Me first then you!!!)

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 21:02   #12
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I was walking to work this morning from the station which involves crossing may road with traffic lights that have the red and green men for pedestrians.

Everybody ignores them, even the 2 policemen that I walked beside for 3 sets of lights which therefore begs the question - if they are ignored by the people enforcing the law what is the point of having them?

It is not law for a pedestrian to stop for a red man!
But I do get your point and maybe it should be.
Bonus fact.... Most pedestrian injuries happen within 100 yards of a safe crossing point.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty Dolomite For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 07:55   #13
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

What about elderly, those that can't nip between the cars, blind (who can use the little spinning viabrator thing under the button on the crossing)

If someone gets knocked down 50 ft from a crossing then they should be charged for the cost of all medical care and as long as driver wasnt speeding etc they should be free to sue pedestrian
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cookie For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 11:25   #14
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
what is the point of having them?

So that deaf people know when it is safe to cross the road
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:50   #15
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMad View Post
So that deaf people know when it is safe to cross the road

Don't deaf people just look at the road to see if it is clear, in the same way that other people do?

Are you perhaps thinking of blind people and the beeping that some 'pelican' crossings have? Note that I say some as I haven't heard any beeping from signals at road junctions
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 13:50   #16
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

Quote:
Don't deaf people just look at the road to see if it is clear, in the same way that other people do?

Are you perhaps thinking of blind people and the beeping that some 'pelican' crossings have? Note that I say some as I haven't heard any beeping from signals at road junctions
many of the new crossings now have a little spinny thing under where you press the button, they can just rest their hand there, and when it viabrates, they know the green man is showing

They are called tactile indicators apparently

http://www.radixtraffic.co.uk/page8.html

Last edited by cookie; Mar 22nd, 2013 at 13:53.
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 16:57   #17
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm sure they do, but in this world of equality small children, frail old people and indeed disabled people must all be catered for.
I wouldn't say that I take the little flashing men as gospel, because I too would look and listen, but they are in my peripheral vision on the rare occasions that I'm a pedestrian, so they are having an effect in that I'm noticing them .
As such I don't really have an issue with them and if they help just one person, then all is good and well
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 09:28   #18
arcturus
arcturus

Here in Portugal pedestrians have the right of way,full stop. They swing on to crossings without looking even if you're a meter or two from it and it's up to you to stop. No arguement. It's ALWAYS your fault, no excuse if you hit one.