Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance write off

Views : 1342

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2013, 10:05   #1
Winchy

Unhappy Insurance write off

My wife had an accident the other day in her C30 and both front airbags went off. I've been told that due to the cost of replacing them the car may well be written off. There is frontal damage, both wings, bonnet, grill etc but everything else looked ok. It hit a sign post (speed camera warning) went through a hedge and into a field so there may well be more damage than first apparent.
Any body had any experience of this? (airbag write off not crashing)
Winchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 10:15   #2
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

A friend of mines Astra Estate was writen off after a frontal impact of about 10 mph (The car 2 cars ahead stopped, the car behind it didn't and went into the back of it, and she then went into the back of that)

All the airbags deployed, and the bumper and headlamp were cracked - I think they were quoted close to £3k to repair it as all the airbag triggering sensors need replacing, all the airbag control units, the wiring, and the bags themselves - as well as the windscreen as the passenger airbag shatters the windscreen to give you an escape route.

My vote would be to take the writeoff if its offered, it sounds like you've done a lot of damage if you've gone through hedges after washing most of your speed off on a post.

James.
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 10:26   #3
Daim
Brit in Germany

Take the write off, buy it back and get it repaired. The damage can't be that hard. Airbags cost around £700/each, front end repair around say £2.000-3.000.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 10:26   #4
tt82
Forum Support Team

I think I'd let them write it off. Have a read of this and if it's on Channel4OD then it's well worth watching. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...our-crash.html

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 12:06   #5
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

I think a picture might give a better idea of whether it will or not.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 13:08   #6
NewVolvo
VOC Member

I would take the write off, forget about this car and get another one instead. Somehow I find it difficult to see why they would write it off just due to a couple of airbags. Have they inspected the car and seen other damage not informed to you perhaps?
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 13:23   #7
Sprout

Could I buy the hose off the car, I'm looking to buy one from a scrap c30?

Also state how much you insured the car for on the details, saying that they insured the value as that much. They normally offer 3 amounts.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 13:29   #8
tt82
Forum Support Team

Well airbags deploying will mean anew steering wheel, new dash as well as the new airbags, the labour to change it all and the diagnostics to reset everything.

My worry is the mention of both wings being damaged. I wonder if this C30 is now a bit shorter that what it should be. I'm assuming the sign post went under the car, not over or there could be windscreen/roof damage. The hedge would have ruined the paint work but I can't see it actually damaging the panel itself. Sounds like the car it it at a 90 degree angle as well, with no damage being down 1 side of the car and all at the front on both sides. My conclusion is the field causing a very abrupt stop.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote