Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyres - 215/45 R17

Views : 1986

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 16:01   #11
DCN85

For what it's worth, I have x4 Hankook Ventus Prime2 K115 on my S40. These are OE on certain BMW 1series and Ford models so they are a respected tyre. I have had no issues with grip - I can't comment on wear as I've only done 7000 miles since purchasing them.

They are affordable in the standard size (205/50/17) but £88 may well be the lower 89 load rating which is outside spec for the S40. You will need the 93 load rating to be totally correct.

Last edited by DCN85; Jan 23rd, 2013 at 16:04.
DCN85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 17:23   #12
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakrishnanv View Post
Hi i as well asked about changing the tyres to 215/47/17 or 225/45/17 back in August. But Ninja and other members here mentioned and advised me to check with my insurance which was a blessing in disguise. When i called up my insurance they wanted me to pay £300 more on the annual premium as its considered as a modification.

Rather than paying that money i went with the same size(205/50/17) Hankook K115s for the wheels which came with the car(they will go in the car once the wheels are refurbed closer to summer) and also managed to get a set of 17" alloys where i put in the winter tyres...

Yes if not informed its gonna void ur insurance and we wont come to know until some mishap happens so better not to be than being in that awkward situation
Glad to see it helped someone, proving my point tyres are something insurers are REALLY HOT on now. Before long I can see it being one thing they will seriously using in common practice.

If anyone is concerned about winter tyres they have been given a different status SO LONG AS they are in the agreement with the ABI in regard to winter tyres many will not charge or class it as a modification - NOTE to check though as not all are signed up and some STILL need informing if you have done so.

Last edited by Ninja59; Jan 23rd, 2013 at 17:33.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 17:25   #13
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout99 View Post
Agree with size but i would buy Uniroyal if it was my money
Nankang are budget rubber and scary in wet
Considering what his profile of modifications is, I just hope he is not behind me or going anywhere near that vehicle with those tyres (even with different wheels) in the wet (or even dry for that matter) considering it has more power than mine I still would not fit them to my old car with 1/2 the output.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 17:34   #14
Bushellj
Volvo Owner

The insurance companies are looking for every possible minor modification either to invalidate the insurance when you have a claim or to give them an excuse to raise the premium !!

Look at the additional costs if you have your car converted to LPG !! This for many companies is a major modification and they really dont like it ! Looked at converting my S80 but the extra premium makes it look expensive.

I would love to know how many cars are driving around with simple body or wheel modifications the effectively invalidate their insurance.

Basically make sure you are driving an original manufacturers spec model if you want to keep your insurance competitive.

James
Bushellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 18:03   #15
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushellj View Post
The insurance companies are looking for every possible minor modification either to invalidate the insurance when you have a claim or to give them an excuse to raise the premium !!

Look at the additional costs if you have your car converted to LPG !! This for many companies is a major modification and they really dont like it ! Looked at converting my S80 but the extra premium makes it look expensive.

I would love to know how many cars are driving around with simple body or wheel modifications the effectively invalidate their insurance.

Basically make sure you are driving an original manufacturers spec model if you want to keep your insurance competitive.

James
Not really, if you ring them up BEFORE doing anything you learn what you can get away with without being a "modification". For example mine if you are being picky is debadged (yes some amazingly do), different coloured wheels in a none OEM finish they do not even look remotely OEM, Wind deflectors and a few other bits you can get away with...simple stuff really.

As for doing modifications I know some might not like this bit, but put simply insurance is just a contract between you and the company, they offer it on X terms to provide insurance for you taking on the risk of you driving X vehicle and the information provided, you accept that offer willing to be bound by those terms and should continue to abide by them for the term of the contract (usually 12 months). In so doing certain modifications you are altering the terms on which they offered that insurance and therefore the modification needs consideration from the insurer.

This is where the risk element comes in...and it might be classed as a none modification, modification without premium, modification with premium. LPG is a risky one due to the very nature of LPG so I am not surprised in the slightest.

Keeping the same insurer helps sometimes, it is not necessary to keep chopping and changing (which seems very in "fashion") if you use your head, you can use their very own system for new customers against them and query so why is my quote XX higher , last year my family netted a nice sum simply by doing an online quote around when it was due with our current insurer, phone them up done - myself £75 (beating the online changes I needed which came to only £50!), about £80 for my mums, and about £20 for my dad.

Wheels and tyres - wheels might make it more attractive etc. they maybe rare and other considerations, altering tyres I think has been on the brink for a LONG time - I know many again might not like this but putting my insurers head on for a moment bigger tyres, wider front print - the first question is why, why would the person we are insuring need more grip from wider tyres? (The cost element to them is insignificant at the moment) - they might drive faster, harder etc. etc.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 18:30   #16
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Not really, if you ring them up BEFORE doing anything you learn what you can get away with without being a "modification". For example mine if you are being picky is debadged (yes some amazingly do), different coloured wheels in a none OEM finish they do not even look remotely OEM, Wind deflectors and a few other bits you can get away with...simple stuff really.

As for doing modifications I know some might not like this bit, but put simply insurance is just a contract between you and the company, they offer it on X terms to provide insurance for you taking on the risk of you driving X vehicle and the information provided, you accept that offer willing to be bound by those terms and should continue to abide by them for the term of the contract (usually 12 months). In so doing certain modifications you are altering the terms on which they offered that insurance and therefore the modification needs consideration from the insurer.

This is where the risk element comes in...and it might be classed as a none modification, modification without premium, modification with premium. LPG is a risky one due to the very nature of LPG so I am not surprised in the slightest.

Keeping the same insurer helps sometimes, it is not necessary to keep chopping and changing (which seems very in "fashion") if you use your head, you can use their very own system for new customers against them and query so why is my quote XX higher , last year my family netted a nice sum simply by doing an online quote around when it was due with our current insurer, phone them up done - myself £75 (beating the online changes I needed which came to only £50!), about £80 for my mums, and about £20 for my dad.

Wheels and tyres - wheels might make it more attractive etc. they maybe rare and other considerations, altering tyres I think has been on the brink for a LONG time - I know many again might not like this but putting my insurers head on for a moment bigger tyres, wider front print - the first question is why, why would the person we are insuring need more grip from wider tyres? (The cost element to them is insignificant at the moment) - they might drive faster, harder etc. etc.
Very good comments, especially if you're actually an actuary (joke to amuse myself)

However, would an insurer pay out for worn, but legal, manufacturer spec'd tyres, but not for really good premium not spec'd tyres?!
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 18:39   #17
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyweaves View Post
Very good comments, especially if you're actually an actuary (joke to amuse myself)

However, would an insurer pay out for worn, but legal, manufacturer spec'd tyres, but not for really good premium not spec'd tyres?!
Unfortunately I most certainly am not but I can tell you the basis of contracts most definitely if not thanks to CIPS but doing the Legal Practice Course...

Yes entirely possible, end of the day the contract was setup on the basis that the insured risk "you" would replace with the same size (now as for comparing if I slapped on Michelin Pilot Sport 3's Vs a Nankang is of NO relevance here) purely the specification of the tyre is the relevant factor - 205/50 93W came off 205/50 93W should be put back on in keeping with either the OEM standard or replacement off to an OEM specification.

The reason i keep stating possible is because it is all up to the insurer, but they would be well within their rights in doing so if the terms and conditions are legally sound you are in breach of the contract - being in breach allows for the contract to be terminated and therefore what you and I know as void insurance...breaking it down to real basic contract stuff.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 19:23   #18
keithjeb

In order to avoid paying out to a policy holder (note they can't invalidate third party insurance, only potentially attempt to recover costs from the policy holder) they would have to demonstrate (in theory to a court, but more likely to the FOS) that the modification materially impacted the risk profile (not IIRC whether it was a factor in the accident).

In theory putting anything other than the exact brand supplied by the manufacturer could be classed as a modification. Personally I am comfortable with the risk of (for example) steelies with winter tyres vs. stock alloys + summer ones. But you're right, insurers are slippery buggers and will try anything on.
keithjeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 20:20   #19
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithjeb View Post
In order to avoid paying out to a policy holder (note they can't invalidate third party insurance, only potentially attempt to recover costs from the policy holder) they would have to demonstrate (in theory to a court, but more likely to the FOS) that the modification materially impacted the risk profile (not IIRC whether it was a factor in the accident).

In theory putting anything other than the exact brand supplied by the manufacturer could be classed as a modification. Personally I am comfortable with the risk of (for example) steelies with winter tyres vs. stock alloys + summer ones. But you're right, insurers are slippery buggers and will try anything on.
First bit correct, but changing tyre specifications would increase risk for many, load rating being a big one.

True, but it would never stand up to any reasonableness. Saves far to much hassle playing by the rules when they are fair, and personally if an OEM specced something there is usually a reason.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 21:06   #20
HughG

Having checked Tesco a change in tyre profile is ok, but wider tyres count as a modification. The Hankook's it is then!
HughG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
s40, tyre, tyre size 215/45 r17