Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1971 Volvo 164 Manual Overdrive for sale

Views : 2819

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2012, 08:57   #1
Gold164

Default 1971 Volvo 164 Manual Overdrive for sale

I am now offering my Volvo 164 carburetor version for sale. It has covered less than 44k and is excellent condition bodywork interior and mechanicals. It has provoked a lot of interest (but insufficient bidders) on eBay. Ideally someone needs to come and see it to get an idea of the good condition it is in.
The only problem area is the sun roof that needs (I think) a new cable (I have one but have not installed it). The roof does not leak in the rain.

I am looking for offers around £3000 but open to negotiation, within reason, with anyone who is prepared to actually come and see it.
Currently I drive it two or three times a week.
The car is in Holmfirth Yorkshire and I can be contacted on 01484680674 Jeremy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030427.JPG (96.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg P1030428.JPG (99.0 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg P1030430.JPG (100.9 KB, 119 views)
Gold164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 13:48   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Hopefully helpful

Hi Jeremy.

Smart-looking 164 you have there. I'd love to be in a position to buy this from you, but sadly not the case just now. And that's probably true for lots of other people too.

I don't know what your Ebay bidding reached, but I'm guessing it wasn't anywhere near £3000. With only 8 weeks to Christmas, the number of prospective buyers for a big thirsty car like that will be low. It's hardly a practical proposition as an everyday car, and the show season is over now.

Fine cars though these are, and I don't doubt your word that yours is a good one, the market for them is small, and prices not great compared with say a Merc, Triumph or Jag etc of the same vintage.

The fact that the sunroof is jammed, and the hatch itself looks a bit tarnished and rusty devalues it quite a bit. For that sort of money buyers would be looking for something close to perfect.

If I might suggest, if you can spare the time why not get a price for fixing the sunroof? That way you could give prospective buyers this information, or you might decide to get it done yourself. I would hazard a guess that with these issues resolved you'd probably make the car much more saleable, and increase it's price by more than the cost of the work.

The way your ad is phrased, it sounds as though fixing the sunroof is possible - you have the cable - but is either very difficult or very expensive, and that's perhaps why it's for sale.

Also, have a look in Practical Classics etc and see what their guide price is. Not that long ago even a very good 164 would command no more than £1800, but of course things may have changed. The point is that your buyers will be looking there, and if your car looks expensive then they'll quickly be put off.

Advertising on here is a good idea, but I'd strongly recommend adding more photos and including as much info as possible. Things like MoT expiry, number of owners, details of work done etc. As it's a 1971 car it'd be worth reminding buyers that it's exempt from road tax!

All just a personal opinion of course, and it'd be great to think that a buyer will prove me wrong tomorrow! I love old Volvos and it would be fantastic to see this one with a new owner and a good price.

If I thought you'd even remotely consider it, I'd be cheeky and offer you £500!

If you can wait until the Spring when people start buying cars to take to the shows then you would almost definitely realise a better price.

Hope this is a bit helpful. Good luck with the sale.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 14:11   #3
Gold164

Thanks captain Jack. I am aware that my sales pitch is not the best, which is why I am interested in people taking a look. The hatch is not jammed. It is also not rusty. What looks like rust is probably spots of missing lacquer but the paint is sound.
The 164 does about 20 mpg driven quite hard. This may sound a lot but my modern turbo diesel does low 30s despite having a theoretical mpg of around 50.
I am not sure how difficult fixing the sunroof is I have the instructions on one sheet of A4!
Perhaps the problem is that these cars are worth more as a genuinely usable vehicle than as a classic. A comparison would be my old BMW motorcycle reliable transport at £500 whereas a British or Italian motorcycle of similar age and roadworthiness would cost many times the price.

£500 is ridiculously cheeky but I admire the spirit. If it doesnt sell I shall just carry on enjoying it and work out how to fix the roof.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gold164 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 16:03   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold164 View Post
Thanks captain Jack. I am aware that my sales pitch is not the best, which is why I am interested in people taking a look. The hatch is not jammed. It is also not rusty. What looks like rust is probably spots of missing lacquer but the paint is sound.
The 164 does about 20 mpg driven quite hard. This may sound a lot but my modern turbo diesel does low 30s despite having a theoretical mpg of around 50.
I am not sure how difficult fixing the sunroof is I have the instructions on one sheet of A4!
Perhaps the problem is that these cars are worth more as a genuinely usable vehicle than as a classic. A comparison would be my old BMW motorcycle reliable transport at £500 whereas a British or Italian motorcycle of similar age and roadworthiness would cost many times the price.

£500 is ridiculously cheeky but I admire the spirit. If it doesnt sell I shall just carry on enjoying it and work out how to fix the roof.
Well there you go - that's cleared up my misapprehensions already! I'm a big fan of the 164, and I'd truly love to own one. A couple of years back I must have looked at every single one that came up for sale to replace the 1800ES that I'd previously owned - and very little came close to looking as good as yours does.

The thing is, a 164 with LPG would actually make quite a good proposition for an everyday car, which could be done for probably around £1000. The boot is massive, so hiding the LPG tank would not be a problem.

Try putting your ad on 'carandclassic' website. It's free to do, and unlike Ebay where most punters are looking for something for nothing, or here, where most regulars have got nice old Volvos anyway, 'carandclassic' tends to attract more realistic buyers. Do accentuate the positive as much as possible, and in framing your ad try to look at it from a buyers perspective.

If you can afford to wait into the Spring then you'll improve your chances of a better price.

Joking apart, I wish I'd seen this car when I was in a position to buy. What is even more ironic is the fact that you're only up the road from me, and I'd spent hours thumping up and down the country looking at multiple dubious and rusty propositions. Ah well. Such is life!

If you do consider fixing the roof, try to track down John H on here. He's based in Huddersfield I think, and is something of a 164 guru!

Again, and most sincerely, good luck with the sale. If my £500 does become tempting do let me know!

Cheers

Jack
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 22:03   #5
guitarman

Just taken a look at your photos- id say around £2k would be right for this car. Long gone are the £500 140/160s! Id suggest that Volvos sell better than XJ6s and just as well as any Rover or triumph 2.5. I rather think people have come to realise how much better a car they are. OK, they're not in Benz territory but how much does a W123 go for- less than a 164 and the W109 won't make much more.
2012 VW Transporter T5 LWB
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guitarman For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 22:11   #6
guitarman

......also, the question of mpg- Irrelevant!! How many classic cars (apart from those that are glacially slow) do more than 25mpg?? At 20mpg the 164 is not much different to any classic car in the 1600cc to 2 litre bracket. Try running a Jensen Interceptor then you'd have something to worry about!
2012 VW Transporter T5 LWB
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guitarman For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 09:08   #7
Gold164

Default Its still for sale

Hi
The 164 is still for sale but there have been some changes since the original post. I booked it into IK Classics (a local firm) who have fixed the sunroof - so what for some would have been the most challenging problem is sorted. They had a thorough look at it and if you want to know what they think google IK hepworth and I am sure Ian will tell you. In summary, it is drivable but would benefit from attention to the brake and clutch hydraulics. If you want a drivable car to fix yourself I will let it go, even with the cost of roof repairs etc. for a gnat's whisker under £2000. if you want something closer to perfection ring Ian Kellett and ask for a quote. It is sitting under cover at his premises. I should add that he is a very decent person but he will not benefit from a sale, so has no incentive to promote it. On the other hand he might appreciate being paid to do some work on it.
I have had quite a lot of interest but no one has actually seen it in the flesh, which is a pity because it looks like what it is a very low mileage car.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gold164 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 14:55   #8
capt jack
VOC Member

PM sent

Jack
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 10:45   #9
KGF1
KGF Classic Cars

I take it this is now sold?
KGF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 10:58   #10
Gold164

Default Volvo 164 still for sale

The Volvo is still for sale. I have just renewed insurance £90! Next step will be to get a new MOT. Car is under cover at IK Classics. Ring me on 01484680674 for more info