Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aquaplaning

Views : 1385

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 28th, 2012, 13:16   #11
Eoin2

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiedtke View Post
+1 here, have had the Kumho Ecsta's, very good tyre even if considered 'budget'.
I find good tyres pay you back. More grip wet and dry, lower noise and last longer.

I used the Kuhmo Ecsta KU31 on my Lotus Elise and that was a rare example of an excellent tyre at a cheap price. They were particularly good in the wet, gave up some dry grip and feel to the bespoke expensive Yokohama tyres but not much.

Generic budgets are normally much worse on aqua planing and wet grip. I find they normally wear ao quickly that the cheaper price benefit is lost. Personally I like Michelin tyres but they are probably the most expensive.
Eoin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 15:15   #12
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul240480 View Post
I'm running on Khumo Ecsta on the front right now (850 N/A 170hp) . Not had any issues.
Ran for 25k on Roadstone 'all-weather' before they were £99 fitted and balanced so quite budget, again no issues & I very nearly went for them again - it was availability here (on-line) so went 'up' to the Khumos at £70 each.
The back end has Events, loads of 'bad reports' on these I found after they were fitted. They must be on 35k or so now & 3-4 years old. Just starting to crack in the walls, but loads of tread still. They have a higher speed rating than the Khumos + they are 'heavy duty' for extra loads, like when the caravan is hitched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artiedtke View Post
+1 here, have had the Kumho Ecsta's, very good tyre even if considered 'budget'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin2 View Post
I find good tyres pay you back. More grip wet and dry, lower noise and last longer.

I used the Kuhmo Ecsta KU31 on my Lotus Elise and that was a rare example of an excellent tyre at a cheap price. They were particularly good in the wet, gave up some dry grip and feel to the bespoke expensive Yokohama tyres but not much.

Generic budgets are normally much worse on aqua planing and wet grip. I find they normally wear ao quickly that the cheaper price benefit is lost. Personally I like Michelin tyres but they are probably the most expensive.
+2 Me too, i have the Kuhmo Ecsta LE Sport all round on my `97 T5 V70
and use all it`s power + regularly with no probs.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 16:59   #13
big_yin

On my Volvo S40 i had GT Radial Champiro BAX fitted which where very good and lasted me a very long time.
The V70 AWD is in need of 4 new tyres soon and i am thinking about fitting these .
big_yin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 13:39   #14
S70 B5254T
☭Nick☭

For what it's worth, I drive several different cars as part of my work, all of which are much newer than my 854, and I have always found my car to be very surefooted in the wet, and no worse than other cars over standing water. Furthermore, my car runs a set of P6000 with plenty of tread depth. My car is normally used unladen (apart from filling the fuel tank!) and it's obviously a saloon, so will have slightly less weight over the rear axle than your 855 and V70 models.
I have found the previous two versions of the Vauxhall Astra estates to feel particularly light at the front end.

I would imagine that the front-to-rear weight distribution of FWD cars is more biased towards the front end than RWD cars, which tend to have more of an even weight distribution; taking that into account, the majority of FWD cars should feel more stable over standing water than the majority of RWD cars.

My own opinion is that there are several variables affecting car control over standing water - correct tyre pressures, good tread depth, tread pattern etc, but few of them will have as a great an effect as a driver's behaviour and reactions when encountering standing water across part, or the entire width of a roadsurface.

1998 Volvo S70 CD 2.5T 20 valve (B5254T)
Community First Responder transport & Daily Driver
previously...1994 Volvo 854 SE 2.0 20 valve "L411XCC" &
1999 Volvo S40 2.0T SE "T283LTW"
S70 B5254T is offline   Reply With Quote