Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Im new here and need some help please .

Views : 2062

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 17:21   #11
Smugley

Default RE: Im new here and need some help please .

I'm new here too - in fact I only just bought my first Volvo. As I'm doing lots of miles (about 800 per week) I purchased a Bi-Fuel S40. Sure, it's a slightly underpowered at 1.8L, but after one week of keeping records I can happily say that my fuel bill has been reduced from £15 per day in a 2.0L Honda Accord to about £8.50 in the Volvo, on average. I expect savings over the year will be between £1200-£1500. The guys are right too - I don't believe the CNG cars are marketed in the UK, and LPG and CNG are definitely not interchangable. Hope you enjoy it - I already suspect the S60 will be my next car.
Smugley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 22:53   #12
keith.talbot

Default RE: Im new here and need some help please .

I was told earlier this year by my local Volvo dealer they were getting in a CNG car for a customer.

Keith
keith.talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 21:02   #13
crispy duck
crispy

Default cng s60

I've just bought a CNG s60. I'm trying to find out about converting to LPG, however if you go to the DOT website at:-

http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/

and enter the vehicle enquiry page with the registration it will tell you the cars' details including fuel type.

Alternatively there are a couple of home fuelling stations available for CNG that look very attractive. Anyone know more? I know the CNG variant has higher pressure larger tanks than LPG, and there's a network up and down central england of refuelling stations.
crispy duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 01:38   #14
mhon72
Master Member

Volvo introduced two bi-fuel models of S60 to the UK, one was LPG, the other CNG. The CNG model is marginally less powerful than the LPG version.
Volvo has in their wisdom since discontinued the LPG model. The only argument for this being that the CNG is "greener" emitting less CO2 and so has a lower VED banding and liable for less company car tax.
As explained in an earlier reply the two fuel systems are not interchangable.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 13:35   #15
blues60
My car is blue

Fuel issues aside, I think if you end up test driving each car you will settle on the S60 over the Citroen or Vectra. I Haven't driven a C5 but I can state from experience that the new Vectra is horrible compared with the S60.
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 11:41   #16
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

A very old thread containing misleading info. Be clear. CNG cars are here in the UK. I have one. Mine's a V70. Not to be confused with 'sperm of the devil' GPL, (i cannot spell, or speak it name).

Most Volvo Bifuels are the 'other' fuel. Not mine. I understand there are under 20 CNG Volvos here in the UK though.
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 12:07   #17
myfirstv70

Default LPG versus CNG?

I'm intrigued (but I have no 'axe to grind' - mine's a diesel) what is the problem with LPG over CNG? I imagine it's difficult to find a CNG compressing plant - is it not?
Cheers,
Nobby
myfirstv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 20:23   #18
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

No problem - they are just two totaly differnt fuels
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote