Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Possessed blower fan?

Views : 2067

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2012, 21:30   #11
tt82
Forum Support Team

Cheers Andy

Might not be able to try the auto on/off till next winter now. Unless I find some way to cool the exerior tempsensor enough to activate the function.

Any idea what kit is needed is needed for adjusting the temps? Theres a meet near me in April and a few lads have certain bits of kit with them.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 01:56   #12
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
It stands a chance it is the POTS that are on you ccm, dirty or otherwise.
if you remove the CCM from the car, (carefully) , then disasemble it, clean the pots with an electrical contact cleaner,, rebuild, refit,, try....
there is a post or two on here about that,, where to find them and how to replace them with new pots if the cleaning fails

pot - potentiometer - variable resistor,, the bit the knob turns to adjust the speed/temp.

BUT ,,as your A/C button is disengaging itself, there could be other faults with the CCM .. you may cure the possesed speed,but perhaps not the a/c kicking out,,
But while you have the CCM out,, check All the solder joints you can and resolder any that look like they could be/ are "Dry joints".

that or get a CCM from a breakers, it Will be cheaper than a main dealer.
Alright - I went for the simpler suggestion which was to purchase a used ccm from the breakers ($100CAD). Got my seven year old son to help me install and thanks to the great instructions provided in the post above, the installation went smoothly. Word of warning, the instructions do say to remove the ccm carefully which I did my best to do however I did not realize how soft the rubber was on each of the larger knobs - they scratch very, very easily. I was going to use the original knobs which appeared to be cleaner but had to change my plan after discovering the new scratches on those...day three of driving and the climate control seems to have been successfully exorcised.
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 18:43   #13
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Default Possessed blower fan - take 2!...

Hi,
I seem to be doing better with my new climate control module. Two issues remain:

1) The three lights on the replacement were burnt out. I figured I could just switch them out with my originals (from the defective ccm) but turns out these things must be very delicate because two of the three were no longer working due to unit removal I'm presuming. Went to my local dealer here in Toronto only to be surprised at the replacement cost for three of $60CAD. Reached half way across the world and ordered three from Simon at FRF Motors instead (not wanting to pay that much more out of principle than anything else) and got them for $30CAD. Thanks, Simon!

2) The temp dial seems to be calibrated wrong - here's where I'm looking for feedback. I'm used to having the dial between 20deg and 22deg max for ideal comfort (which is roughly the half-way point). In the new unit I'm verging on putting the thing at max heat (25-26) to get the tempature ideal. I don't suppose there is a means of manually calibrating this setting the same way the seat heaters can be calibrated is there? This problem isn't the end of the world but it is slightly annoying. That and the temp here is hovering at 0deg right now and I'm a bit concerned that the ccm's behavior won't be adequate when it dips down to -15/-20deg...

Any ideas? I replaced the transistor under the glove compartment 12 months ago so unless there is a calibration that takes place between a ccm and the transistor I'm thinking that thing is still in working order....
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 18:42   #14
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Default Where to purchase a Piher PT-15NV17 POT for CCM

Hi,
My blower fan problem continues to elude me. I've now re-soldered all contacts on my original ccm module and re-installed.The good news is that I haven't broken anything and the temperature gauge seems to be working better...the bad news is that the fan is still prone to turning off then turning back on again momentarily at full blast when on "auto" only to revert to the proper speed...this happens intermittently.

So...not sure what it is about this forum but you guys are inspiring me to tinker with bits of my car I should probably leave well alone. Anyhow, I'm now seriously considering taking the 2 POTS off of the CCM and replacing them as I'm pretty sure that the trouble must reside within one of the two POTS units (temp or fan). If it doesn't, well I've picked up yet another useful skill.

My only challenge is where to purchase the new POTs. The research suggests that I need two of the following:

Piher brand PT-15 POTS with "N" rotors, 5K resistance, V (vertical) connectors spaced 17mm appart.

Does anyone know if these are still available anywhere? Tried a few spots in Canada and the US but not looking good.

Any suggestions? I don't suppose Simon carries these, does he?
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 22:04   #15
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Edit - ignore me, wrong information, dont wanna be responsible for someone buying wrong thing !!!!

Edit two, some minutes later

This is ridiculous - so many horizontal 5k pots with 17mm terminals but cant find any vertical mounts.
Might be possible to use a smaller pot in the place and wire the terminals in with short links.

The simplest* solution would be to pull the dual-DIN stereo if you have one, replace with a single-DIN, mount a surface plate across a DIN cubbyhole in the freed-up space, fit 2 x 5K pots of any sort down there and run wires (with plugs and sockets for disconnection) up to the place where the failed pots were mounted.

If you fancied being radical you could have sliders in the cubbyhole in front of the gearstick even...

*least elegant, authentic or stylish

Last edited by DXMachina; Nov 19th, 2012 at 22:26.
DXMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 22:49   #16
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Might have found it !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIHEA-PT-1...item2c69e6fada

this looks very similar to whats in the pics on the web of replacing the pot, its definitely a Piher PT15 of the right shape.. if it isnt the right shaft type its probably possible to get an adapter....
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 18:15   #17
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMachina View Post
Edit - ignore me, wrong information, dont wanna be responsible for someone buying wrong thing !!!!

Edit two, some minutes later

This is ridiculous - so many horizontal 5k pots with 17mm terminals but cant find any vertical mounts.
Might be possible to use a smaller pot in the place and wire the terminals in with short links.

The simplest* solution would be to pull the dual-DIN stereo if you have one, replace with a single-DIN, mount a surface plate across a DIN cubbyhole in the freed-up space, fit 2 x 5K pots of any sort down there and run wires (with plugs and sockets for disconnection) up to the place where the failed pots were mounted.

If you fancied being radical you could have sliders in the cubbyhole in front of the gearstick even...

*least elegant, authentic or stylish
I like that idea...I've got a line on some POTS but will keep that option open if a plain old replacement fails. I'll be sure to let you know of the results! Top points for creativity!