Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bike carriers

Views : 1284

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2012, 15:31   #1
allplayandnowork

Default Bike carriers

I'm looking to get a bike carring device to fit my XC60 for 2 adult and 1 (fast growing) childs bikes. I don't have a towbar and am not about to get one fitted just to carry bikes so was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?.

I have looked at a few of the ones that fit the rear hatch but I have yet to find one that allows you to open the boot with them on so am assuming the standard roof bar mounted holders (and a small step) are going to be the best way forwards but thought it must be worth asking around before jumping in.
allplayandnowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 16:10   #2
andy.cass
Kendo

Because the hatch is plastic the edges are too wide for traditional bike carriers. On my first XC60 I used a Saris Bones but had to replace the straps and hooks for a dumb bell style sold by Halfords. These are thrown in the boot with the hatch partially open and trapped when shut. Worked OK but you need to remember to take out the rear wash wipe fuse.

On top of that I had roof bars, but as the roof rails are plastic the grippers left marks on the painted surface on my Prem LUX. May be OK on unprinted R Design, SE.

I now have my second XC and ordered with a tow bar. Much easier and less fiddly if a little more costly.

11.5My XC60 D5 SE Lux Premium, Geartronic, Savile Grey, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Prem Audio with Sub, tow bar.
10MY 2009 XC60 D5 SE Lux Auto
2008 Mini Cooper
andy.cass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andy.cass For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 16:50   #3
TobyAnscombe

Same problem; although with added kids..

for the hassle and suchlike we went down the towbar route and will pick up a rack soon; not cheap but with 2 kids and a strong likelihood of holidays with bikes and kiddie trailers it seems like the best route
TobyAnscombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 10:05   #4
xc60 2011

Andy, when you say "dumbbell style" from Halfords, what exactly are these, as I have just bought a Saris Bones but have yet to try it out? Cheers
xc60 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 11:12   #5
mfresh
Nice person

I'd recommend roof bars and roof mounted bike carriers. Easy to get the bikes on and off, you can still open the boot, no flappy straps to rattle around scratching the paintwork, and you just have to remember not to go under any low bridges or into parking garages with limited headroom. Doesn't seem to affect MPG as much as I would have thought, and very little wind noise.

There's also the benefit that you can open the roof blind (if you have an opening roof, and check on them as you hoon down the motorway.

I've had three bikes on my roof, and still had room for one or even two more
mfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 12:56   #6
subaqua
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc60 2011 View Post
Andy, when you say "dumbbell style" from Halfords, what exactly are these, as I have just bought a Saris Bones but have yet to try it out? Cheers
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_202502

these.

I use them on the Skoda octavia we have as that has a hatch mounted rack. better than the hooks that can break the glass

Cymraeg ac yn falch
subaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to subaqua For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 12:59   #7
Pesky

I think you may find the XC60 a bit difficult to get bikes of the roof, it is quite high compared to saloon/estate cars. Need to carry a little pair of steps with you!

I went down the tow-bar route. Use a Mottez tilting 4-bike carrier.

You also have to consider the weight limit on the roof....

Last edited by Pesky; Nov 6th, 2012 at 13:01. Reason: ..
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 13:03   #8
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfresh View Post
I'd recommend roof bars and roof mounted bike carriers. Easy to get the bikes on and off, you can still open the boot, no flappy straps to rattle around scratching the paintwork, and you just have to remember not to go under any low bridges or into parking garages with limited headroom. Doesn't seem to affect MPG as much as I would have thought, and very little wind noise.

There's also the benefit that you can open the roof blind (if you have an opening roof, and check on them as you hoon down the motorway.

I've had three bikes on my roof, and still had room for one or even two more
I am 6' 2" and got rid of the roof mounted rack beacuse of the height and difficulty in getting the bikes up and down - the final decision was made when I saw a colleague, who is not as tall, scrape the side of his new xc60 when taking a bike from the roof.

My wife (5' 4") was completly unable to put the bikes up and down - even standing on the bottom of the door.

I agree you can open the roof blind (if you have one) but you can also see out of the back window if you have a tailgoate mounted version or towbar version. My towbar version also allows me access into the boot with the bikes mounted
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 14:38   #9
stu0710
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
I think you may find the XC60 a bit difficult to get bikes of the roof, it is quite high compared to saloon/estate cars. Need to carry a little pair of steps with you!

I went down the tow-bar route. Use a Mottez tilting 4-bike carrier.

You also have to consider the weight limit on the roof....
I agree - the cost of the tow-bar and carrier are likely to be £700+ but this is by far the safest way to carry multiple bikes. Being only 5''8" I would find the roof option more of a hassle and with more likelihood of damaging the car. Also there is the possibility of forgetting that there are bikes on the roof with the ensuing disastrous consequences (my brother in law caused £1500 worth of damage to a new company car like this). Fuel consumption is much better with bikes on a tow-bar mounted carrier too.

Here is my car with a non-Volvo removable tow-bar and an Atera Strada bike rack - note that with 4 bikes it also needs a stabilising strap which I attach to a single roof bar.

Regarding weight limits - the roof is 100Kg and the nose weight on the tow-bar is either 75 or 100Kg, plus you have to bear in mind that a tow-bar bike rack is 15Kg without bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000798.JPG (314.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by stu0710; Nov 6th, 2012 at 14:42.
stu0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 20:35   #10
robg

I also went through similar dilemma. On my 5 previous cars i have used:
Rear mount twice, both times damaged the paintwork and they arent very stable and get in the way of the wiper, also you "should" fit extra lights / number plate which is a pain.

Roof mounted three times. Much better than rear mounted. Still damaged the car paintwork, mainly by leaning my dirty muddy body aginst the doors when knackered and putting bikes on roof. Roof is fine for two bikes, but is a real pain with more than that. PLus, yes for the xc60 you wouild need a ladder. Also consider lots of places like parks where you go biking have height restrictions.

I also used a "safebag" (go to roofbox.com) inside my estate car, this is the best way by far, its keeps your bikes clean and dry and minimises car damage, but only if you have no rear seat passengers.

On my xc60 it bit the bullet i went for the towbar. i also have the altea strada. Its fine upto 3 bikes, a pain with 4. Its much easier to put the bikes on and off. It has lights built in. You have to be very careful of you have a powered tailgate though....

Tow bar is by far the best way to do it. I have done the same with my current audi also. No damage resulting from tow bar so far.

Sorry its getting expensive, but the tow bar worth the extra if you drive to cycle regularly.