Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dyno'd the T5R :-D

Views : 899

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:30   #1
DougT5R

We ran an 850R at stock levels for a test... about 10% high.

I've got some SERIOUS tuning to do. 4th gear pull

So peak power then it drops... I think its all from running lean. I'll throw the piggyback on as soon as the new one shows up and fix it, it might put up more power but atleast hold it to redline now.

Figured out what was going on with Carsons... his fancy Defi was reading 5psi HIGH! we hooked it up the map sensor on the dyno and went hmm... thats odd LOL. MUCH better now too. He put down 300 at 16psi, I retimed his cams and picked up 320.

Im happy :-D Even if you figure its reading 20% high its still 360'ish WHP. So 15% is 385, 10% (closer to what we saw) is about 400whp.

Let the flaming begin.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:47   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi Doug.

I hope that was an independant dyno! LMAO!
Good figures there mate. Have you changed any of your internals?
Mind you I notice that it says your redline is set to 7600rpm.
Normally it is at 6250-6500, so the extra power will be coming from the extra revs (amongst other things....)
I wouldn't hold on too tightly to your engine if you spin it over 7000 too much though. They aren't honda power units you know.

Later,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 15:00   #3
DougT5R

Dan, I fully built and balanced the motor myself. I have a mate driving an Atech tuned 850 that zings his up (stocker) on a daily basis to 7300rpm.

Once the AFR's get more in check from 6400 it should be good to roll again. Like I said, we dyno'd a stocker for a comparison, this dyno is about 10-12% high (basically gives you more of an engine bhp number than whp imo). Still 380-400whp in its semi poor tuned state.

Doug
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 15:13   #4
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougT5R
Dan, I fully built and balanced the motor myself.
Hi Doug.
That is impressive. What are you hoping for when it is tuned to your satisfaction?

Hope it goes well for ya bud.

Dan.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 00:35   #5
DougT5R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F
Hi Doug.
That is impressive. What are you hoping for when it is tuned to your satisfaction?

Hope it goes well for ya bud.

Dan.
Honestly? This number on pump gas is already past what I was hoping for.

My goal was 400whp peak ... what I figured it would take is 23-24psi. Looks like I'll be alot closer to 440-450whp at 25psi. :-D
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 08:28   #6
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Honestly? This number on pump gas is already past what I was hoping for.

My goal was 400whp peak ... what I figured it would take is 23-24psi. Looks like I'll be alot closer to 440-450whp at 25psi. :-D
Wow, 25psi is like 1.7+ bar!! As you have rebuilt your innards, that should prove no problem. Cool.
One thing I do find a little sad almost, not just with your car but any car that has been taken well beyond what the manufaturer intended, is that once an engine has been rebuilt to the extent that you or Stu at SW autos have, then it isn't really a Volvo engine anymore.
Getting the maximum out of a standard engine shows what 'a Volvo' can do; Once you rebuild the engine, it basically becomes a bespoke engine in a Volvo shell.
Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking it and I think you have a real sweet motor, (no-one will expect it to perform how it will on the road), but to my eyes it isn't really a Volvo per-sae any more.

Keep us posted dude.

Dan.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 03:25   #7
DougT5R

How do you figure Dan?

The only Non OEM part in the motor is the rods. They are Mahle (OE supplier) cast pistons, 960 throttle body, GLT cams, S60R exhaust manifold/heat shields, stock intake manifold (ported to work with the 960TB), 850R clutch, stock M56, stock diff, axles.

About the only other "non volvo" things is the turbo itself and the IC.

I'd say its pretty volvo still... very very simple rebuild.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 09:57   #8
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
How do you figure Dan?

The only Non OEM part in the motor is the rods. They are Mahle (OE supplier) cast pistons, 960 throttle body, GLT cams, S60R exhaust manifold/heat shields, stock intake manifold (ported to work with the 960TB), 850R clutch, stock M56, stock diff, axles.

About the only other "non volvo" things is the turbo itself and the IC.

I'd say its pretty volvo still... very very simple rebuild.
Hi Doug.
Fair play, it looked like you had done more than that, however it is not an OEM spec engine therefore you can argue that it isn't a Volvo engine anymore. That is all I am saying. it is actually a Doug/Volvo hybrid engine now. The power of it is now limited not by the original manufacturing strength and tolerances, but by your desire and the depth of your pockets.
You could strap a jet into it and it would still look like a Volvo, but it wouldn't be one anymore. Big mods or small mods, doesn't matter, once you start changing internals, the thing is bespoke.
Simply changing a turbo and or IC is not the same, as they are ancilliary components, and if you put a turbo on that is too big for the motor, it will break it. At that point you will have found the limit of the standard motor. If you wanted to keep it as a Volvo (in the true sense) you would then get the engine repaired to spec and put on a slightly smaller turbo that will not break the motor. That would be a Volvo with a bigger turbo.
What you have is a Volvo body with a Doug/Volvo hybrid engine.
I hope you can see what I am getting at.
I admire what you have done immensely, and I just wish I had the time and space to do projects like that myself.

Anyway, keep us posted on how it goes, and the Volvo badge looks good on the front of your 'one of' car.
Later bud,
Dan.