Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is this an early sign of ETM failure?

Views : 1168

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2012, 08:29   #11
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler Ed View Post
Mine seems to still be good after a clean and upgrade at 172k, it's now at 225k... it would probably be nearer 260k had I not gone to Aus for 2 yrs! Unfortunately the car is now BER so it's all getting broken. Just started it today to faff with some stuff and it's started first time!

Use decent fuel, V-Power or BP Ultimate every so often, and avoid some of the cheapo fuel and that seems to help. Mine tended to be run on Shell standard, and occasionally (if I was particularly skint) Morrisons or Asda.

I'm sure I once read somewhere that 95% of ETM's failed before 100k miles...so anything better than that is quite a rarity it seems.
I must one of the lucky ones..LOL (so far.!!)
I've always used standard 95 Ron fuel..though I don't use supermarket outlets.

Neil

Previous Volvos...264 auto...loved it.
340 manual...not so loved.
760 auto...loved it.
RUTV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 08:34   #12
Joe H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
To clean it out properly it needs to be unbolted from the manifold as the crud builds up on the inlet side of the throttle valve/ butterfly, make sure both the valve and the inlet tract are spotless before refitting to the engine, there should be a small gap between the valve and the sides of the throttle valve, if this gets clagged up it can make the flap stick at the idle position when you apply the throttle - Mike
Thanks Mike.
There was indeed a bit of sticky stuff right on the edge of the disc but it's now spotless and I have a 400mile drive on Saturday so will see how it performs then.
Joe
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 15:35   #13
Mockit

Yeh..very helpful..bawbag.
After hearing so many comments on volvo owners,the majority were right, now its been confirmed for me.. I will most definately be getting rid of this volvo,thus avoiding being tarred with the same brush
Mockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 16:07   #14
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockit View Post
After hearing so many comments on volvo owners,the majority were right, now its been confirmed for me.. I will most definately be getting rid of this volvo,thus avoiding being tarred with the same brush

'eck...that's a bit over sensitive isn't it.?...you were actually being given good advice that might have helped you.!

Neil

760 auto...loved it.
The Following User Says Thank You to RUTV70 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 16:26   #15
Mockit

Thumbs down ..and for that reason I'm out !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTV70 View Post
'eck...that's a bit over sensitive isn't it.?...you were actually being given good advice that might have helped you.!

Neil
Assistance was requested,a feeble attempt at a "witty" response was given Early indications are all that I require..
Mockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 16:58   #16
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

Quote:
Assistance was requested,a feeble attempt at a "witty" response was given Early indications are all that I require..
The problem is that there is a vast difference between the cars that are being discussed here (the ETM issue affects petrol engines from a small time window, whereas you were asking about a newer diesel engined one). Most members tend to have a good knowledge of their particular model plus a little bit on related ones, so sometimes asking in the "wrong" section does work (ie if you're asking about an engine that was used in the previous/successor model).

At least you didn't get the default "Use the search function" which is what some members get.

With your query have a look at these two sections if you've not already done so:
S80/S60/V70/XC70
XC90
Both these used the D5 engine of that era, and the XC90 forum may be able to give you a more definitive answer on the other codes that have been generated.

Have you taken it to the main stealer for the codes to be read/cleared or was it the local independent?

Hope that helps a bit, and good luck with getting it all sorted (does the AWD system work?
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 16:58   #17
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

Quote:
Understand that...but you were being directed to the correct forum for your car...where you would have got more help or indication.
...and it is much better to start your own thread specifically dealing with the problem you have....rather than posting in an already ongoing thread relating to a totally different subject.
People WILL try to help you here...you just need to be in the right place.

Neil

760 auto...loved it.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 19:45   #18
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Quote:
Why not get an Audi?

Chris...
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 21:37   #19
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZutek View Post
Why not get an Audi?

Chris...
Lol - perfect answer!